Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on OMC Deluxe 17...?

Just went out in the yard and found a new boat there ;-p

a 1963 OMC 17 Deluxe...think it's the "custom" model though it has some sportsman features too...

been through some "interesting" mods already...missing the engine/OD so it's an outboard conversion candidate (once I remove what someone else started ;-)

Heard through the grapevine that someone named Carl who comes here had one he had taken apart and had pics...I'd really like to chat with him before diving in...

Carl?

feel free to contact me here or offline at ric@ricphoto.com

Thanks...Ric
    Attached Files
    '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
    '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
    '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Ric, your disease seems to be progressing. :shocked4:

It's a danger signal when you move from Glasspars, Bell Boys and Skagits to this kind of boat. I recommend the boater's "scared straight" program, otherwise known as visit to Slo-mo's place to see where these bad choices can lead.

Tim

Comment

hmmm pot-kettle / kettle-pot

disease is constant...availability of unique boats that aren't Skagits, BellBoys or Glasspars isn't, so fixes are infrequent

sure you don't mean YOUR place?

Just think...with a big shark fin we could play Batman and Rubem...guess who you'd get to be...?

;-p

Comment

Hhmm ... well, I'm too old to be Robin, and too fat to be Batman, so I guess I'd have to be Alfred. :BigHappy1: He never got punched or suspended over a vat of acid!

Seriously tho, those things are cool. Really have the rocket ship side profile.

Comment

Sure are sweet looking...

I know I get comments everywhere I go in mine...Have fun!
          BTW, the trailers are worth a whole lot due to the uniqe design...they were almost as much as the boats originally.

Kristy
          Kristy Fry
          1964 Johnson Deluxe 17

Comment

Thanks Kristie...

She's already started collecting her fair share of comments just sitting in the yard...

Been checking out Peters website and get the feeling there's a few here in the PacNW...sure would like to see what others have done to thiers...in person

Interesting comment about the trailer...what a beast...think I could move a small house with that...very unique to say the least with all kinds of gears and levers I have yet to figure out... ;-p

Do you have pics of yours anywhere?

(BTW: Tim...But Alfred was dignified and you're...well...let's just say I don't see that as a good fit ;-)

Thanks...Ric

Comment

Hey Ric..
              Try this.

http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...hp?albumid=115

She is called Queen of the Cove.
              His name is Karl which took me some doing to find him again :-(
              Anyway, he has some good shots of the boat and with searching with his name, you can find all his posts I think, or at least I can.

I remember seeing one of those close up down in Damascus Oregon that had a flat 6 in it, kind of like a corvair engine hooked up to an outdrive.
              After looking at what all could be missing, I walked away from it but could never forget it.
              Thought using a Buick V6 with an OMC might just fit under it cover.
              If not, there is some pretty good foam board (1/2) that bends around corners real well that could be used to lift the lid so to speak.
              Just my :TwoCents1:
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Joe...

Tried the link but I don't have "sufficient permissions"...as usual ;-p

If I had your talent with motors I'd certainly be heading in that direction...but being mechanically inept I've opted to do the transom bracket ala Club Mariner again...have a nice CMC P-65 on it's way as I finish up adding a freshly laminated 2" transom board (was only glass back there) and the new floors...that spare 115 merc will go nice back there...

seems like it took about a hundred popsicle sticks to shape that new transom but fits well

The biggest shame of it is not being able to use that steering wheel unless I stick with cable steering...has anybody got any ideas on how to adapt that to a teleflex system? or adapt a teleflex set-up to that dash?

thanks...Ric
                Attached Files

Comment

Trailer

I have the manual...it looks like yours might have some mods to it...it in my user profile I have a couple of pictures. I was lucky enough to get a mostly original boat in working order by way of inheritance she is one of the most "original" Deluxe's left on the water. If you need patterns for parts let me know...the lights are the biggest pain to replace...I have one extra red light that I have been thinking about taking to a plastic's firm to have it duplicated for spares. I have the original top and the owner’s manuals for the boat and trailer so if you want copies of any of that let me know and we will see if I can't scan them in. Grandpa was a bit of a pack-rat so I have a whole mess of paperwork and spare parts. Good luck and keep us posted!
                  Attached Files
                  Kristy Fry
                  1964 Johnson Deluxe 17

Comment

Thanks Kristie...

Just found a frame for her so having access to a top for patterning the canvas would be great...

I'd like to see that trailer manual if possible...there's little drop down wheels, levers, gears etc that I haven't taken the time to finger out yet...just found a place to get a brake kit so that might convince me to keep her on it for a while and see how she launches off it...

Just got the transom in and I'm off to LaConner with the Glasspar for the Classic boat show so all work is on hold for the weekend...

My side lights are perfect (thank god ;-) I understand they're a pain to try and replace...you could probably make a pretty penny with replacements...last pair I saw was $100.00...ouch

...Ric

Comment

Ric,

Man, that dash is a work of art. If I found one of those that was completely trashed I'd take it home to hang the dash on the wall.

I wonder if you could bore out the center of the wheel from the rear and install an insert that would mount to the teleflex system. Or, maybe you could use the existing shaft and have a coupler machined that would tie it into the teleflex. It would be a real shame not to keep that intact.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                      X