My first project (Bryant)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first project (Bryant)

I am just about completed with a project I have been working on for last year. I found this boat in carport on a farm just outside of Spokane Wa. It was my uncle boat. The story goes that he bought the boat when he was younger and really never used it. It ended up sitting for over 30 years..Thats what I have been told. If anyone has any information on Morris out of Marysville or Bryant History I would love to hear it. From what I know.. Bryant is company that made plywood boats at Lake Union and Morris LLC pretty much took over? Not really sure.. But here is the project and how it went.

After new tires and new bearings and seals, I was able to get her home to start working on her.. stripped everything off. I was pretty amazed how well the chrome held up all these years. But again it was sitting in Spokane. The trim was little beat up. But with alot of sanding and elbow grease.. I was able to get the trim cleaned up pretty good. I was able to get the wood cleaned up and then able to apply 5 coats varnish with sanding between coats.

Comment

Several weeks went by and then I started cleaning windshield and polished the trim and chrome.. Then placed everything back..

Comment

Motor needed a little TLC. I was able to get all the seals changed in lower unit and pump.. Then turned my focus on the kicker mount and painting under the boat. I had a few problems with getting the motor running but after walking away and then coming back to rebuilding carb for the second time.. She fired up......

Comment

Once I had the motor up and running. I started working on the interior of the boat. I was really lucky there was no dry rot in the boat. All I had to do was remove seats and do alot of hand sanding.. Even the seat cushions where in great condition after alot of scrubbing..

Comment

I was coming towards the end with the boat.. just few more things to do. Steering wheel and running gear needed to be cleaned up with new cable..

Comment

So, Boat is nearly done. just a few more little things to do.. soon I will be working on the boat trailer. just needed to get running lights completed and another coat of paint on the bottom.

Comment

Here is where I am today....

Comment

Bryant Restoration

Nice job, congratulations!
                  Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Mike, WOW!!! You sure put a lot of work into that one. What fantastic results. She looks great. Good job.

I like that fire extinguisher, looks like some sort of hand grenade. Now the second part of the fun begins. :boater1:
                    Steve Kiesel
                    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Bryant and Morris Brothers

Mike -

Congratulations on doing a great job with the old Bryant. It looks like you got what might be called a lucky boat, since most of the old plywood runabouts from the 1950's--whether Bryants or others--have rotted away.

Bryant Boats were sold, as I'm sure you know, by Bryants Marina on Portage Bay, near the University of Washington on the Lake Washington Ship Canal. General manager was Jerry Bryant, who raced boats in his earlier days, and who built Bryant's Marina into North America's largest dealer of Chris-Craft cruisers.

Bryants Marina sold boats made by a lot of different manufacturers, and being a successful promoter, Jerry Bryant wanted his own line of smaller powerboats, so he turned to the Morris Brothers (who may have originally worked for Reinell before breaking out on their own). At one point the Morris Brothers built some Bryant-brand outboard boats in a small shop just down Northeast Boat Street from Bryants Marina, but mostly they worked out of their own shop in Everett...and maybe earlier in nearby Marysville.

The Morris Brothers designed and built some of their own Morris boats, including some outboard runabouts that resembled the earliest Bryant boats...but mostly they became the production arm of Bryants Marina, building runabouts like yours as well as larger outboard and inboard cruisers.

You're very lucky that the hull of your Bryant could be revarnished, since many of the old mahogany-plywood Bryants have been painted over the decades, as owners gave up on the tedious business of maintaining a bright varnished finish. (Once painted, it's often difficult to get all of the paint out of the grain of the ply and get back to the stained-and-varnished finish, so it's great that your boat was stored inside so long.)

Bryant boats were always among the best-designed in the Northwest. In terms of actual construction, they were built much like Norseman Boats of Bellingham, relying on closely spaced fore-and-aft battens in the bottom for hull strength...as opposed to simply stretching plywood bottom panels between widely-spaced frames. Lady Clipper, Hollywood Boats and Skippercraft also produced a lot of plywood boats with battened bottoms, but I think Bryant and Norseman would have gotten the prize (if one was ever awarded) for the strongest ply-boat bottoms in the Northwest.

Hope this helps. I might be able to dig out more details if you're interested.

- Marty
                      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty,

Wow, that was most information that I have found anywhere. I have been searching and searching on the internet trying to figure how everything is tide together.. I have found a little info here and there but now it all comes togther.. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I have been wanting to know a little history so I can tell people. I was thinking someone out there would know something. My last thought was to bring the boat to a boat show someday in hopes that someone would come along and give me the info. As you probly know... There is not many of these being shown on the internet.. Infact the only ones I did find have the "50's" wings... I am curious how many are still around....

VeryBigSmile

Comment

karl,

I recieved your message you sent but, I cant figure out how to reply back to you.. could anyone explain quickly how to respond back to message..

thank you,

Comment

Yep, looking pretty sweet..

Makes you feel good when you look back and see what all you have done huh :BigHappy1:

Hope to see you in the water during one of our events. Maybe even our Big one at Mason towards the end of the season if need be.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

What a fantastic find and great job on the restoration! Do you use the boat at Ocean Shores? Duck Lake? We are down at the In-laws cabin all the time (on Weatherwax) and I have brought a boat down a few times. I would love to meet up with you down there some time. Maybe we need a mini-event at Duck Lake. Ton's of little canals to explore and lots of hotel space if you pick the right weekend!

Again, great job!
                              BRIAN FRANCHINI
                              LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Working...
                              X