Just getting started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just getting started

I'm just getting started on my 68 seafair sedan project,I wasn't sure on where to begin and how much was needed to be done. This boat was left out in the elements for years unprotected and there was quite a bit of mold over the cushions & the wood in the cabin. They also had added 2 auxiliary fuel tanks which must have leaked quite a bit,the floor boards was saturated with gas & oil and the fiberglass was seperating from the wood underneath.I decided to gut everything and will replace all with new marine plywood.The transom seems to be solid, but I will know more when remove the outdrive and motor. Here are some pic before and after i started on removing everything. Thanks Mike.
    Attached Files

Mike,
    Way to dig into it,really going for it like I wish I could hve done to mine.
    I found my 1959 Seafair left outside for 18 years.I found the Transom and structure to be very good,just needed a gallon or two of Bleach to kill and remove the black spotting and fungus growth.
    Oily wood is not good,best to gut as you are already doing.De-grease thereafter so you don`t contaminate Glass when sanding.
    I find Glaspars have a weak cloth layer on the wood transom face,I almost always Coat it with Woven or Chop strand covered with Cloth.Going up the sides and along the lower outer Chine is a good plan.Keep both sides of center repaired or beefed up the same amt.
    I found my rubrail had been installed at the factory with a one foot section not having fasteners reaching the side.
    Creating a usable sump area was the one thing I wished I had done,really hard to drain the floors of mine ,though you have a center belly that may make it easy to place the Bilge /Float dead center in front of the Inboard engine.Mine is an outboard so a bit different.
    Your first picture looks like the Driver`s cabin side is all glass ....hmmm.
    TimM
    Seattle
    ps I have a Glasspar Wheel with hub along with the entire rack cable system.....might list here in the Glassifieds before too long.Hard to fit the racks under dashes so I remove for rotary types.I end up with new wheels to fit the new tapered shaft on most helms.
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Way to Go

Yes, get her down and start back up with your resto.

You are going to SO like this when you get finished.
      Good riding hull, good style of classic to look at.
      Built better than most new boats, safer, can't ask for much more.

Looken Real good Mike.
      Keep the pictures and progress coming. :GoTeam1:
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Awesome! You really went to town fast on her! My BellBoy 404 still has the upper deck on it.

Looks like she hit the dock pretty hard more than once on the stb side. How does the rest of the hull look?
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
        X