Steering Wheel Resto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Resto

I posted this thread on the HAMB on how I restored my '41 Pontiac Woody steering wheel and thought maybe you could use this info to restore a boat wheel as well.
    We start with the Pontiac wheel needing just the outer ring restored as the rest is in pretty good shape. We have 3 options, send out to a pro shop if you can afford the $1000 to $1400 price tag or "V" cut all the cracks, fill and sand sand sand sand for ever OR replace just the out ring with a new or better one.
    I chose to replace the outer ring but first had to find a donor which turned out to be a 1956 Chevy wheel as it best matched the spoke location and size I wanted.
    So off with the '41 outer ring and off with the center of the '56 wheel, now to marry the two together. Inside every wheel is a round steel ring, this is what we will weld the 3 Pontiac spokes to after clean up. Weld up, fill up and sand to shape. I use MarineTex for filler as it blends well and sand the same as the outer ring material. If you wet your finger you can spread the Marine Tex around to shape and save much sanding.
    Next is epoxy high build primer as many coats as it takes to make you happy!
    After high builds comes the base coat clear coat of your choice & color.
    Hopefully pic's will explain it better.
    Attached Files

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Steering Wheel Restoration

Lon -

Nice job and a creative solution, Lon.

Can you post photos of the '41 Pontiac wagon, and tell us what'll be involved in its restoration, etc?

Years ago I drove a '41 Pontiac business coupe with straight-eight flathead and just loved it--quiet, smooth and fairly peppy for an old, original car. The straight-eight experience was part of what led to purchase of the '51 Pontiac tin woody last year...with an engine almost identical to the '41 flathead.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Hey Lon.
      Now THAT is what I call Innovative Fabrication !!

Nice Job :cool1:
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Sorry Marty, no Woody, the wheel is headed to Australia to be mounted on a '32 Ford
        3/W Hot Rod .........

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

Working...
        X