Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you repair vinyl seats???

Hi,
    I would like to re-cover my seats. I got an estimate last year and it was off the charts! I was wondering if someone out there would be willing to trade services for seat repair. In a perfect world I would re do them all but I have attached my main concern here.

From what I gather... the foam is rotten, the vinyl is fragile and the wood is in pretty bad shape. The duct tape in on the floor is my sad back up plan.

I can offer a few things:
    A crabbing adventure aboard the wiz (could yield a hefty bounty)
    I am a hobby screen printer so if you ever wanted your boat name on some gear I am your guy (hoodies.. shirts etc...)

If none of that sounds good feel free to have a look at the photos and send me a quote.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Files

Hey Eric, if I could help I would but you're offer prompted a thought. I've been looking for someone who can make a custom flag for my Sabre Craft...a small white triangle flag to fly from the front of the boat with the Sabre Craft logo on it. Does that fall into the screen printing hobby you have? I'd be willing to pay if it is something in your wheelhouse. If not, anyone local you recommend I approach?

Cheers,
    Mike
    Attached Files

Comment

I think i can help you out. (depends on the complexity of the design and what you want to print on)
      it would be best if you can source the flag you want to print on or possibly get someone to sew something up for you Heavy canvas would work best to print on and it's easy to add grommets. Post the logo you are looking at so i can see if it is in my skill set to make happen.

Comment

That would be awesome. Here's the flag size/style I have in mind: http://www.expressflags.com/triangle_flags.htm#.

What sort of file format for the logo are you looking for?

Also, happy to take our discussion offline so as to not hijack your thread any further -- howellm70@gmail.com.

Comment

sounds good.. i'll send you an email.

Back to looking for takers on my sad sad seat

Comment

For your seat, I know Tim Mattson has recently started doin his own vinyl work and so far him and his wife have done amazing work. I doubt he works for free but he would be a good resource for you. I have the same situation on my Chris Craft and I made the mistake of taping te torn areas once and now I have to retape before every outing or the goo gets on my passengers. I would suggest you keep the tape as an extreme last resort, put a towel over it before you turn to tape!

If you find a reasonably priced shop let us all know cause I have gotten some radical quote this spring like you..
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Mattson seats

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 17359
              For your seat, I know Tim Mattson has recently started doin his own vinyl work and so far him and his wife have done amazing work. I doubt he works for free but he would be a good resource for you. .
              Here are some pictures of the seats Kim and Tim reupholstered for me. They did such a nice job that I paid for them. It didn't occur to me that I could have gotten them free.
              Attached Files

Comment

Like it says in the Good Book, "The laborer is worthy of his hire!" (of course, the newer versions no doubt says "worthy of his/her hire!" Great looking seats. Got me thinking, wonder if Tim/Kim could make a clear plastic snap on spray shield for Rosario to keep us dry when the waves are high? It could go in front of windshield up to bimini and around the sides. Sure would be nice to be able to run with the big boys without a face full of water off every wave.
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 17376
                  Like it says in the Good Book, "The laborer is worthy of his hire!" (of course, the newer versions no doubt says "worthy of his/her hire!" Great looking seats. Got me thinking, wonder if Tim/Kim could make a clear plastic snap on spray shield for Rosario to keep us dry when the waves are high? It could go in front of windshield up to bimini and around the sides. Sure would be nice to be able to run with the big boys without a face full of water off every wave.
                  I would be more than interested in how that might work as I have looked at those types of windows and wondered, how can you button something like that up in the rain.
                  I am thinking your pretty much stuck with creating a dodger like on the sail boats that would go over those windows when needed, up and around like you say.

It looks pretty cool for sure but I will stick with a full wind screen that I can button up in the rain........I does rain up here

Of course, I will do a Top as the first thing on a boat up here.
                  Like this. I got a long way to go but I do have a top on it
                  Attached Files
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I'm with you on that!

Just went out and put the cover on Rosario. It has been so nice and sunny that I wasn't really thinking rain last night but it did and is still at it. First thing I did when I got the Larson Sea Lion was get a top built for it. Can't recall if I ever removed it. Did remove the back curtain a few times when it did actually get too warm inside.
                    Attached Files

Comment

windscreens

Jerry,
                      The windscreens you want will be simple Lexan or the higher dollar Polycarbonite used also in ridged side curtains of some boats.Takes specialty equipment on the latter and they charge accordingly....but it lasts.
                      I`d do it cheap in Lexan and you can bolt/screw in SS snaps and make removeable.f you like it and it works,AND you hit the Lotto,then go and have a Sailboat Quality Poly-type.The sliding track mts are slick too,used on cockpits with foam around the perimeter or upper flybridge on ritzy yachts.
                      I`ve seen railings augmented with Lexan where a gap was left along the top so you still had useable rails,basically small sprayguards for those days when wind comes from Port or Stbd.
                      Thanx for the Plug Stan and Brian,the pics don`t reveal the thin black strip at the bottom edge of the seatbases,which should keep that dirtline that always forms from showing as well.Looks like it works already!
                      Those were Lt. Blu seats by Wise,which we left the old material for softening the edges.
                      Used to stuff my trashcan with these things,now they seem like gold with the price of Foam.
                      TimM
                      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                      SeaRay 175BR
                      Hi-Laker lapline
                      14` Trailorboat

Comment

[quote="Tim_Mattson, post: 17386"]Jerry,

I`d do it cheap in Lexan and you can bolt/screw in SS snaps and make removeable.f you like it and it works...

Tim, It's that "if it works..." part that worries me. I've seen this type of dodger in some boating magazine but it talks about keeping rain off your face. I'm thinking heavy water coming over the bow is apt to rip it away or bend the tubing on the bimini top with it's force and I do want something that would only go up when there is enough chop to soak me down and, of course, it needs to come around the sides because a lot of water comes from those directions depending on the direction of wind and boat. Right now I'm looking at replacing my old truck so I'll probably just learn to love soaking in saltwater.
                        Jerry

Comment

Jerry, About the only time i ever had swells come over the bow was when we were on the Columbia river about 5 years ago at a event. They were in the 4-5 foot size by Sand Island ( some of you might remember that trip ? ) otherwise once in a while we had a little spray from the port & starboard sides. In the 20 Skagit i expect the same problem ,but i always thought it would be hard to see thru the plastic with water drops all over it or whatever. If you decide to change the windshield please let me know. Best,Chuck
                          Attached Files
                          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck, not planning on replacing windshield. Like the looks of it. Just would like to extend maybe 3 feet higher! I'm drowning in 2 foot waves and, since I'm getting it full in the face and my glasses are covered in saltwater, I believe it is coming over the top but since I can't see, maybe it is all coming from the side.

Comment

wow lootas1 that is a pretty sweet boat!
                              having a cabin would be super nice

So to close the loop on the vinyl repair... I hunkered down stretched the heck out of it and stapled till my arms couldn't staple any more. Sealed up a few of the cracks with some mighty mend it and i have to say it doesn't look too bad.

Definitely a temporary solve. One day maybe a full recover will be inorder.
                              But for 2011... DONE.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X