Launched Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launched Project

I finally launched my marginally classic boat project last Sunday afternoon. A 1972, 16 foot Fiberform. Really pleased about everything. This is a FREE boat that the previous owner was considering going to the transfer station for the big crunch... then I came along. For power I purchased a used 1985, 70 hp OMC (off C-list, untested). Saturday night I stayed up till post midnight finishing, but nope… not done. Up early Sunday morning to mop up rigging and put it on the trailer, but the trailer lights were a no-show. Arg!!! Wife standing in the driveway, wondering where her dance date was. Okay, let's regroup and have breakfast. I proceeded to diagnose the wiring in the driveway, and noticed that animals had nested in one of the main square tubes. Also, no ground wire. Remove the nest and replace the chewed wires… "Christmas tree on," woo hoo!!!

Never owned a 70hp OMC 2-stroke (3 cylinders) before. Pretty quiet. Rough idle compared to a 4-stroke, but at power, very quiet and smooth – super pleased. I can see why OMC sold thousands of them over several decades.

A good afternoon doing “run-a-bout” -- we scooted around Port Orchard, then up to Brownsville for a six pack of cold ones. Sat at the dock for a while and rehydrated... feasted on pistachios, and mixed it up with the Geoduck fishermen. Finally, back to home port – mission accomplished.

Bottom line – I’d take on another “land-fill queen” in a minute. Not a “loose your breath” amount of money invested, and very gratifying. Highly recommended. Including the engine, I spent about $2,900.
    Attached Files
    Brian Vickers
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Very nice....!!

Sure looks classic to me, bring her on :GoodJob:

By the way, Fiberform went out of business due to not being able to keep up the good work and craftsmanship.

This might step on a few toes but it takes two Bayliners to make one Fiberform
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Looks real nice! I'll bet she goes pretty well with a 70. :GoodJob:

Tim

Comment

Nice work!

Helmar, are you sure it takes only 2 bayliners? jibberjabber
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

All shiny and everything, nice job! That is a great looking boat and classic lines to boot. Those Fiberforms are really well built boats.
          '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 18896
            Nice work!

Helmar, are you sure it takes only 2 bayliners? jibberjabber
            Yes, at least two, And I own a Fiberform.
            Attached Files
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X