Poulsbo Boat Pocket Cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poulsbo Boat Pocket Cruiser

Lately I've spent some time working on a vintage 16' Poulsbo Boat, which I bought this Spring from a long-ago boatshop customer. (Almost 17 years ago, when we had a restoration shop in Seattle, we were asked to design and build a troller-style cabin for the Poulsbo Boat...which had originally been built as an open fishing boat. The owner asked us to deliver the boat in an unfinished form...just bare wood on the new cabin, ready for the owner to complete.)

I was approached at last year's Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival by the same gentleman, who sheepishly admitted that he'd hauled the boat to his woodworking shop 17 years ago and had never touched the project since then. After several months of back-and-forth discussion, I made an offer and hauled the unfinished boat to our shop on Marrowstone Island.

Anyhow, one of the critical decisions in the completion process was power: Whether to continue with the original little inboard engine, or go for another option. The big challenge with theinboard was that it lived right in the middle of the (small, semi-cramped) wheelhouse. After struggling to figure out how to sit almost on top of the inboard engine, I took a lot of measurements and decided to build a well about three feet forward of the transom to accommodate a small four-stroke outboard...in the process concluding that the motor would remain in a fixed,mstraight-ahead position and I'd steer with an old bronze transom-hung rudder, using dual cable-and-drum wheels--one mounted outside the cabin and another inside the wheelhouse.

At this point I'm two weeks away from the first water test. The interior needs paint everywhere and I've still got to finish building seats in the aft cockpit...and a long punchlist of other stuff to deal with.

Here's a recent photo....

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

something old something new something....

Wholly cow Marty, only appropriate that you'd get that one back unlaunched. Always cool to see ones craftsmanship from the past, did you run into anything that made you ponder how you would've approached differently or impress with ingenuity? Really neat little ship, the rope steer external rudder will be awesome.

Keep us posted, hope you and mo are loving life

Greg

Comment

Marty, What a great looking Poulsbo boat ! I see you have some very nice combination of colors as well along with that four stroke should do just fine. Is that Marshall's paint? Best,Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

What a great looking boat, Marty! Can't wait to see more pictures. How the outboard goes through the hull, the interior, side and stern views, in the water and ....
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

That is fine looking craft. I've always liked the little mini-trawler style boats, not very spacious but they sure are cute..
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments...

As the project grinds toward completion, I'll post more photos of the outboard well, steering setup, cozy interior, etc.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Looking forward to it, Marty.
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by SkagitGuy, post: 25458
                Marty, What a great looking Poulsbo boat ! I see you have some very nice combination of colors as well along with that four stroke should do just fine. Is that Marshall's paint? Best,Chuck
                Chuck -

Yes, all of the paint is semi-gloss and made by Marshall's Cove Marine Paints of Bainbridge Island. They have an amazing palette of traditional colors...but not high-tech two-part urethanes, just good old-fashioned enamels. The Poulsbo Boat hull is Martha Green (as in the Schooner Martha of Port Townsend); all of the other colors I've used were custom mixed blends of various Marshall's Cove paints.

- Marty

Comment

Yeah, that is just too slick looking Ole.!!!
                  Looking forward to seeing much more of that one too
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 25485
                    Yeah, that is just too slick looking Ole.!!!
                    Looking forward to seeing much more of that one too
                    I finally got the Poulsbo Boat in the water last Thursday, just in time for the Pocket Yacht Palooza.

Here's a photo. The boat is now back in the shop for final touches like all wiring, building of a cowl center section that completely hides the outboard, and more mods to the trailer.

I'll post detail shots when the boat is really done, but so far we're delighted. The inside and outside steering stations are handy (my favorite spot is standing in the cockpit, out in the air, looking forward over the cabintop, since you hand falls comfortably on the portside wheel). Our first overnight cruise will be 10 days from now; then I'll take grandkids beach-camping, and in late August we'll tow SALTY up the coast of Vancouver Island for a cruise somewhere north of Desolation Sound...maybe in the Broughton Islands.

- Marty
                    Attached Files

Comment

Marty, Looking REAL nice and love those colors ! Do you have any pictures on how you set up the motor ( what horsepower ? ) in the well ? Best,Chuck
                      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I would like more information on that too. That is just as slick as slick can be Ole !!!
                        I mean a good 4 cycle, puckity pucking all over the coves and such. Nice man !!!
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 25623
                          I would like more information on that too. That is just as slick as slick can be Ole !!!
                          I mean a good 4 cycle, puckity pucking all over the coves and such. Nice man !!!
                          I still haven't taken many detailed photos of the Poulsbo Boat, but here are a few new shots of the boat in action. (I'll shoot more detail images soon and post them...)

- Marty
                          Attached Files

Comment

Why am I not seeing the pictures?

Guess my title says it all.
                            There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Looking good Marty!! That little craft is adorable!!

Are you going to hold on to this one for awhile or is it going up for sale?
                              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X