She's Topless !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's Topless !

Late this afternoon i went out and decided to see if i could get the windshield loose after all. I had already taken the screws out about two weeks ago, but then i found out someone use a very strong sealer (GLUE ! ) so trying to get it loose from the cabin deck i thought i just might break the frame. After thinking about it for a while,i used a small hack saw blade in between the frame and deck of the cabin roof and push it back and forth by hand right across and the seal was broken. The hard part was getting it down off the cabin roof. I pluck the glass ( did not break ! ) out and manage to save the rubber gasket for later. A couple of reasons i wanted to take it off was to fill all of the 43 holes where the canvas snaps had gone once and a few other holes on the top part. The other reason was this way i can paint the burgundy all the way along the cabin roof ( front to back ) where it come back to the "so called dash part".The windshield frame will be painted charcoal gray inside and out. Being i'am doing the frame in the garage i can plan that when it is pouring ( that will be soon ) and that should take about five days filling holes,sanding and putting two coats of paint on. Today one of my son's came by and gave me a gift of a GOOD Respirator. What a son ! I guess he wants me around for a while longer !

Sunday i went out in the morning and part of the afternoon and did more sanding of the exterior of the boat. It looks like Wed,Thur and Friday is to be halfway warm and no rain so i will be out there in the shelter to complete the sanding and start filling some holes. These last three days have been good as far as getting work done on her.
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Nice work, Chuck. Now that the windshield is off, don't get any ideas about putting a chopped windshield like you did on Bainbridge.
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

John, You would be surprise what i have ! How's this original chopped windshield grab you ! Lol ! I bet you thought i had only one style ! When i sold Bainbridge i gave the buyer the choice of a original style or custom chopped one for $100.00 more. Being he was going out on the sound fishing ...yes fishing he wanted the higher one so i still have that one and two more. Hummmm[ATTACH]15435[/ATTACH]
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh Noes! What have I done!
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Hey John, The original windshield will be going back on after i fill the holes and paint it , but i will keep the others.

Comment

Phew!!!!!! That was close.
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 27377, member: 9
              Phew!!!!!! That was close.

LOL ! Yea,Yea. Steve in working on this boat i have found out a few facts about the paint job. GregS did tell me he was told it had been a pink / salmon painted boat at one time....the complete boat ! I have found that true since i have been sanding it you can see in places like under the gray cabin top ,deck and hull. whoever repainted it did not even use a semi gloss or anything else except a new white gel coat on the hull that will stay that way. When i was taking the hardware off, i could see the gray ( at least they took the hardware off before painting it gray ) under the horn,and other items there was just this dull gray. Speaking of the horn, this one sounds like a freighter ! Need to buff it up still.[ATTACH]15438[/ATTACH]
              Attached Files

Comment

At least someone took the hardware off. When I got my Seafair, there was red paint all over everything. Plus it looked like they used a broom to apply the paint.
                Steve Kiesel

Comment

Yea, You have done a very nice job on her.

Comment

All I did was the prep work. Ross (Yardman) sprayed it for me. Still looking good.

Looking forward to seeing your boat finished. I like the color combo. I painted one of our kayaks burgandy last spring. It really looks good against the natural wood deck.
                    Steve Kiesel

Comment

What is your guys process for laying paint? I see Steve had it sprayed, but is there another method that you guys use? I'm thinking the broom isn't the way to go...

Comment

Steve, Now i remember that Ross did your boat. He does nice work !

Kelly, We all have our own way. Being i'am in a area where i can not spray, i have to "roll and tip" If you want more details call me at
                        1-425-743-020 or at work 1-800-637-9190 ChuckPicture.jpg

Comment

I had Ross do it for me as he had a nice shop where it could be done inside. At that time I didn't even have space for a shelter like you have Chuck.

Kelly, I do the roll and tip method on my Kayaks. Same process for our boats, just less surface to cover. The finish really turns out great and lasts a long time. The final step is buffing, so the job turns out looking like Gel Coat. (At least from ten feet away).
                          Steve Kiesel

Comment

Thanks guys. Chuck I'll call you when I'm closer to pulling the trigger on painting.

Comment

Working...
                            X