Uniflite Model and Year Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 61_express, post: 27778, member: 942
    I used to run the same 100HP golden meteor. Good running motor but thirsty is an understatement. It would push my 19' to about 30-35mph but you can tell the hull really wasn't designed for that speed. Since installing my bearcat I have never looked back.
    It has been so long since I ran it that I cannot remember how much it burned, but back in 2001, gas was $1.00/gallon and I didn't get to run her as much as I would have liked. I don't like that it didn't come with the hydraulic tilt, because this beast is very heavy and awkward.
    I may end up swapping the Meteor out for something else, I like that the Bearcat is a 4-stroke.
    Andrew Murchie

19XX Uniflite ??Runabout 17??
    1967 Johnson Golden Meteor V100

Comment

Originally posted by MatsuAKboater, post: 27776, member: 2391
      Sure Helmar, I'd like to see photos of the free boats you have listed. Port Townsend is quite some distance from Alaska, so I don’t think I will be heading down that way anytime soon. I’m surprised that no one has taken those boats off your hands.

I’m still debating whether or not to do this conversion. Here is another photo, looking down on it from above.[ATTACH]15635[/ATTACH]
      Looking at our hull, I would say she has one of those late 60's or 70's squared off type windshields. Means you might find a donor boat pretty easy.
      From that, most canvas top people would be able to enclose the whole boat. Might be a little easier to create that cuddy cabin look with canvas.
      Your helm can be created back a ways from were it is now too.

The thing to remember is when most of these came out, we had the 35hp engines. Some doubled that up. Later on, the 50hps came along but remember, these hulls were created for these smaller engines.
      pushing that bow up your going to be on flat bottom bang the crap out of you and your ride..
      They are not go fast bass boats.
      Anyway, might be a idea to create your look with canvas.
      Reason I say this, I have been into the fiberglass long before the boats. I used to be part of a crew that took 3 new totaled Corvettes and make one.. , So I know what its going to take to pull that off.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Great but sorry about the damage. Did she have a curved windshield or more squared kind?
        Sounds like you were using the Westsystem Epoxy Resin which you can use in place of the Fiberlay layup Fiberglass Resin.
        The Westsystem 105 and the 205 quick hardener will give you more than enough time to lay it out.
        Sounds like you got the stringer worked out.
        If your going to finish her, I would also suggest using the Fiberlay foam system to foam below the floor.
        That way even if you did hit the rocks, you would have to poke a hole clear up through the floor before taking on any water.
        I have not done that to my personal boat mainly due to I don't really have a shop to set up in right now, nor the health (working on that) I hope to teach what I know to some younger generation before I go.

That hull will outlast our grandkids
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I appreciate your candor Helmar, and I have to agree that installing a canvas top would be much simpler and with less cost involved. I did some research and I'm impressed with the Fischer Pierce Bearcat 55 and perhaps I will be able to find one still in decent shape and then sell the Meteor. I thought that the 100 hp was a little much for this size boat, especially when there wasn't much weight in it. And after watching the video from a recent outing, posted on this site, I am very pleased at how well the Bearcat pushes Kelly's boat through the rough water, I'm guessing a little over 2,000 lbs loaded and wet.

I still have the aluminum window trim, I'll find them and lay them out.
          Andrew Murchie

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 27784, member: 59
            Did she have a curved windshield or more squared kind?
            The Westsystem 105 and the 205 quick hardener will give you more than enough time to lay it out.
            Sounds like you got the stringer worked out.
            If your going to finish her, I would also suggest using the Fiberlay foam system to foam below the floor.
            Her windshield was a squared up and angled for the most part. The West System is exactly what I used, both the 105 and the 205. This is a great product, when mixed properly. I'm thinking that I could use Aeromarine two-part eurothane foam, possibly 2 lb below the sole. As far as the stringers go, they may be well rotten through by now, I will see once I get her to the shop. I just figured I'd pull them out, hopefully intact (so I can template them) and just install new ones. I may increase the size of the stringers by a little, but I'm not sure yet.
            Andrew Murchie

Comment

Here is a friend of mine on youtube with his Bearcats.
              Just look for nwvh2000 or use Bearcat Outboard and you will see the bearcats in action.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I ended up getting the pumps. One pump from each can is the proper mix.. Not sure yet why they give you two of the small ones... I ended up not wasting as much that way.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I'd reccomend going with 4 pound foam. That is Coast Guard required on new boats. You won't get dinged either way, but that gives you plenty of flotation and is closed cell so you don't get water going places over time. It is spendy, but totally worth it. For that boat, you would probably need 2-3 kits. Fiberglass Supply in Arlington, WA has it for around $75 a kit last time I bought it, but it doesn't look like they carry it any more. Maybe Fiberlay. If not, then US Composites out of FL has it, but you are goign to pay a lot for shipping. Still cheaper than buying it from West Marine.

I would avoid the west system entirely. I'm sure it is a good product, but it is so grossly overpriced it's rediculous. Fiberglass Supply has gallon containers of Vinylester for around $55 and Poly for even less. From there you can portion your MEKP as desired. I usually go about 30% over to speed curing. And the best part is, you can adjust for temp by adding more or less.

Materials aside, that looks like a cool boat. I'd leave it a runabout and do a canvas. That way on sunny days you can ride with the top down! As for the discoloration, that is easy to fix. Just sand it down and the shine will come right out.
                  John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                  Past Affairs:
                  '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

I agree on the over priced but if you buy it some place other than the local marine store, you would do better. That is about all I use in the west system product. Oh, the silica's, I use those too. Good for making that peanut butter consistency mix...
                    More times than often, I would take any over mix and apply it on things for testing. Cutting and making sure its doing what I want.
                    I don't like expensive mistakes to have to clean up and have had to do my share so I am now using Fiberlay with NO worries.
                    I can do a 20ft Skagit with a half of a 5 gallon kit (Two five gallons, A and B) and its Never let me down.
                    If I am doing fiberglass like laying down glass matting or laminating, I still use Fiberlay.

I agree on the sanding to bring the shine back. I used 1500 wet and dry but also hit it with the buffer.

You will find there are Lots of ways to do things here so you can pick what you would like to try.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Yesterday evening I located all of the aluminum pieces and dug them out. Then laying them out, I couldn't remember how they fit together. I remembered that there had been photos of it, so I dug through a very old laptop and I found some pics, which seems to be the only ones. I was wrong about the year of the repair, it was actually 2003, when I redid the sole. Here are two photos, one is of me and my friend and the other is last prep before glass layup. I remember the windshield now, I didn't like how low it was.

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 27795, member: 339
                      I'd reccomend going with 4 pound foam. That is Coast Guard required on new boats.
                      I'll go with the 4 pound, added buoyancy here in Alaska is always a a good idea.
                      I agree, West Marine is highly overpriced. I'll look around locally for materials, there is a company here CAC Alaska (http://www.cacalaska.com/boats.html), that does quite a bit of glassing, perhaps I may go through them, since they buy in bulk, but I'll continue to look around also, so I appreciate the manufacturer leads.

From there you can portion your MEKP as desired.
                      Is MEKP the acronym for Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide?

Materials aside, that looks like a cool boat. I'd leave it a runabout and do a canvas. That way on sunny days you can ride with the top down!
                      I'm glad you think it's a cool boat, I have had my doubts about it. I'm really spinning ideas now, I could redo it and keep it a runabout and then find an Express to redo, and have two Uniflites. That sounds reasonable, but I'm still undecided. I'll really have to ponder this one over a bit. Boating in Resurrection Bay, Prince William Sound, or Kachemak Bay as a lot of open water to cross and there aren't that many sheltered areas to choose from to get out of the wind, so having an enclosed cabin is nice on those chilly days. In addition, I think the solid cabin would be nice in rough seas.

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 27798, member: 59
                      I don't like expensive mistakes to have to clean up and have had to do my share so I am now using Fiberlay with NO worries.
                      I can do a 20ft Skagit with a half of a 5 gallon kit (Two five gallons, A and B) and its Never let me down.
                      Helmar, are you referring to the foam in that sentence?

[ATTACH]15650[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15651[/ATTACH]
                      Attached Files
                      Andrew Murchie

Comment

The little runabouts are pretty hard to find, at least around here. I would go with plan B and just get another Uni.....Can't have too many boats regardless of what my fiance might think. Just a thought but what about putting a little hard top on it?

Comment

I going to back up a second to the earlier post of the hull serial (2678) I found inside. I'm now wondering if the middle numbers are the year and the outer numbers are the number of the hull (manufactured that year) In other words, number 28, 1967.
                          Originally posted by 61_express, post: 27805, member: 942
                          Just a thought but what about putting a little hard top on it?
                          Nick, that's another good idea, I'll have to think about that now too.
                          Andrew Murchie

Comment

Andrew welcome to the club! I second Nick's comment. I'm sure there aren't a ton of early Uniflites up your way, but if you keep checking CL here in WA, you'll find an early Express. I know shipping will hurt, but in the end you'll have two cool early Uniflites!

BTW, your emblems are in super condition! Looking Good.

Comment

Thank you Kelly, for the welcome and the compliment. I don't think this boat has seen much salt, thence the near perfect emblems. I appreciate everyone's comments and I will keep it as a runabout and continue to look for an express, if I can find one, at a great price! Then I will figure out a way to get it here.
                              Andrew Murchie

Comment

MEKP = methelkeytoneperoxide = nasty don't get it in your eyes, wear gloves, and wash hands often!
                                John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                                Past Affairs:
                                '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                                X