1956 30' SaftiCraft FlagLiner Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmar,
    what is that boat in the pic above? She is beautiful! Makes me want to move to the Caribbean islands and start running rum!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 28163, member: 339
      Helmar,
      what is that boat in the pic above? She is beautiful! Makes me want to move to the Caribbean islands and start running rum!
      He didn't say want model it was John.
      Marty did say that they were popular in the 40's and into the mid 50's until boats like Tims Saratogan came into the world. Story goes if I got it right was the Skagit was the first to use Fiberglass to build Big hulls like that.
      Those bigger fiberglass boats put SaftiCraft out of business.

Like this 24ft Fiberform I have. Story goes, you could build 2.5 Bayliners with what it took to build one 1976 Fiberform. I can sure believe that. Hell, I think I have 4 feet of freeboard on the rear of her too.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I have just gotten in touch with the owner of a restored 1955 38'safticraft flagliner and he has given me allot of info to work with. This is his boat.
        [ATTACH]15886[/ATTACH]
        Attached Files

Comment

Sweet
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

That 38 footer is nice! Look at how little bow there is! That boat is all cabin!! Very cool.
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I've been reading the posts and like your boat. Very nice styling and really like the galley. Keep us up to date when you get rolling on the project. Looks to be in pretty good shape.

I'll be doing a segment shortly on Roamer cruisers. Roamer was a division of Chris Craft and the boats were in steel. I've come to believe that Howard Roberts the head man at Skagit and who designed most of the Skagits including the Saratogan wanted to take on Chris Craft's Roamer division (compete with them). The Roamer 31 and 35 look very similar to the Saratogan.

Nice boat! Will be following your progress.

Tim aka McSkagit[ATTACH]15894[/ATTACH]
              Attached Files
              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Thank you and i am back earlier than expected to wa state and true to form up first day off and running.

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 28177, member: 28
                I've been reading the posts and like your boat. Very nice styling and really like the galley. Keep us up to date when you get rolling on the project. Looks to be in pretty good shape.

I'll be doing a segment shortly on Roamer cruisers. Roamer was a division of Chris Craft and the boats were in steel. I've come to believe that Howard Roberts the head man at Skagit and who designed most of the Skagits including the Saratogan wanted to take on Chris Craft's Roamer division (compete with them). The Roamer 31 and 35 look very similar to the Saratogan.

Nice boat! Will be following your progress.

Tim aka McSkagit[ATTACH]15894[/ATTACH]

Comment

First day
                  Assessing the boat. . Repairs, damage, etc.
                  Moved the boat to its first stop for work to begin. Dug hard looking for and expecting to find serious repairs damage somewhere but no unexpected suprises today non bad at least.... checked operation of stove, oven, fridge all work well. Gutted v Berth to strip prep and paint out. Removing at least one bunk permanently for live aboard purposes possibly removing two And adding a stand up hanging closet to resolve storage issues.

Found all cables, rudders, shafts etc. To be free and I'm good repair. Inspection of the bilges show good better than many new navy ships i work in.

Began stripping vinyl from aft deck find All wood in solid and sound condition. No wood rot as of yet. Overall very pleased with what I have found to date. Happy to keep the original gallery equipment. Pics from today .

Comment

Comment

Cool. That wood on the deck cleaned up nice!
                      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                      Past Affairs:
                      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Yeah the vinyl was a mess but the wood is solid. . Getting it ready to lay down plasteak.. and new vaneer.
                        Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 28220, member: 339
                        Cool. That wood on the deck cleaned up nice!

Comment

[ATTACH]15942[/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH]15944[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15945[/ATTACH]
                            Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH]15968[/ATTACH]
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X