No announcement yet.

1961 Uniflite Cuddy Cabin boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we'll see if there's a "reason" as the red comes off...

if not we can just chalk it up to another "huh?"
    '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
    '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
    '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Well it appears that it was painted just for the heck of it...

Stripped all of the red off and the brown gelcoat looks to be in pretty good shape...there is some slight "pitting" I guess you could call it...but it's all there...

we're thinking a deep forest green would be a good PacNW color...

...Ric
      Attached Files

Comment

Look around Ric.
        Tell me how many you have seen trimmed in brown?
        I think its Unique myself. Hell, be different

I think John Nelsons is a forest green come to think about it?
        I will go look for a picture of Johns.
        Found it.
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

don't worry it's staying brown for a while...maybe a loooong while...

the budget didn't factor in rescuing 4 boats at once...one will have to go soon to pay for all of the "goodies" the others need (windshields, windows, trim, gauges, interiors, helms, electronics)...I need to find someone with a "pieces and parts" graveyard instead of the "hull" graveyards I been frequenting...

;-p

...Ric

Comment

I'm with Joe, I like the brown better than the red.

Comment

Thanks Bill...

Great news that we're ahead of schedule...I'll try and digest all the info you sent and call you with measurement #'s and questions late morning...

I'd hoped to have her foamed and the helm rebuilt before getting powered up but we can talk about that tomorrow...looks like I'd better hustle this week...

...Ric

Comment

my eyes are burning

With all due respect guys, the boat is BROWN! absolutely the worst color ever conceived for any manmade object. I love all of you, but gold specks?

FINE! the nurse has brought my meds so I can sleep now.

Comment

couldn't agree with you more Greg...

maybe you can help here...when those meds kick in and you're starting to see in colors what color do you imagine for the boat?

thanks...Ric

Comment

60's flashback

Ric- For the perfect shade check out the paint codes from 1961 at, http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...-ford-pg01.jpg, they have a killer online searchable library of all makes and years-and great prices. Choose a basecoat/clear system, that is awfully hard to screw up-with incredible shine and none of those brush strokes that you are working so hard to eliminate..

Your Uniflite is begging for a light, period correct scheme...I vote for 1961 Chev Seamist Turquoise that would scream old school. Conversely your Delmar would look great with a hot rod hue, i.e. Candy Apple red.

My meds have worn off, the world is grey again...

Comment

Thanks Greg...I'll check it out

If I'm not mistaken the Avalon was that seamist color originally...think it was the 4th color down in the attached pic...this is a boat I got for the hardware and intend to flip so maybe the red will go good here

My wife likes the powder blue on the DelMar...and as I'm in breach of agreement on the # of boats here now I'm not disagreeing with much she says...

;-p

...Ric
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WorkRelease, post: 3763
                        Ric- For the perfect shade check out the paint codes from 1961 at, http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...-ford-pg01.jpg, they have a killer online searchable library of all makes and years-and great prices. Choose a basecoat/clear system, that is awfully hard to screw up-with incredible shine and none of those brush strokes that you are working so hard to eliminate..

Your Uniflite is begging for a light, period correct scheme...I vote for 1961 Chev Seamist Turquoise that would scream old school. Conversely your Delmar would look great with a hot rod hue, i.e. Candy Apple red.

My meds have worn off, the world is grey again...
                        How well do automotive paint products hold up, at least on surfaces above the waterline? There are so many hues to choose from and the price is much more appealing.
                        1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

the big box of crayons

Good question, Melanie- Modern polyurethane automotive paint is awesome for any fiberglass surface on a trailer boat. Durability and shine will outlast your desire for a particular shade. Below waterline is only a concern if you are lucky enough to have a lakefront dock or saltwater moorage- Since polyurethane paint breaths, there is a possibilty of small subsurface bubbles forming with long term submersion. Most production jet skis have always been coated in this manner.

The effort to restore and maintain luster on 50 year old gelcoat rivals that of brightwork on wood boats, with less than optimal results. When sprayed with an HVLP gun, basecoat/clearcoat paints can be somewhat economical with minimal overspray, and are easily repaired if a dock happens to get in the way.

If you are weary of your neighbors calling the EPA when applying your topcoats in your Costco shelter, any body or boat shop can shoot your prepared surfaces for a reasonable figure.

Looking forward to seeing Mary's Stiletto with Bearcat motation.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Greg. I have been using the HVLP system for about 7 yrs. now.Not only is there a reduction in overspray I find I use about 20% less product. No problem with neighbors, where I do my spraying is in the shop that the Ye old McChesney is pictured in my album. Nearest neighbor is some 3 acres away. Also it seems that marine paint flashes,dries from the surface inward and recoat times are vital where as automotive products dry from the substrate to the surface and recoat times are a little more user friendly. I could be totally wrong.
                            1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

I know I'm new here, but.... I'd say stick with the brown. It's what the boat came with and would look nice all shined up. Think of the red paint as a gelcoat protectant
                              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                              Past Affairs:
                              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Thanks but brown is going...

I've been patching all of the extra holes this week and she's a bit "spotted" now so paint will be sometime later next week after the Bearcat gets installed and the Tyee gets picked up...we're still going back and forth between the red and various shades of blues and greens from the chart Greg sent...

...Ric

Comment

Working...
                                X