No announcement yet.

San Juan Islands Adventure, June 5th and 6th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowell, maybe we had better rethink this event on the calendar......

Seems, like myself, that we have folks that Really want to do the San Juans that we put this event in a month that is more desirable for all.

For the last 4 years, I have been wanting to do the San Juans but never had my bigger boat ready for it (which I am working on now).

This such a Cool event its too bad that we have folks that not ready or have other things such as birthdays or other important events come up.

So, the next Event planing we do, I think we might have people come with a calendar of events they can't miss.

Me, I will work around most any dates as this is a important event for me.

I guess the question here would be, how many people are signed up for this event and if not many, postpone it ?
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

San Juans

I'm not suggesting a postponement, but if you want to consider other dates, Lowell, there might be two possibilities:

1) Tim Jones said recently that he'll have a San Juan Island boatshop garage sale on Saturday, June 19, so that weekend might be attractive to some. (Is the sale still on, Tim?), and/or....

2) If folks would prefer to do the San Juan Islands during the August 28-29 weekend rather than Puget Sound, End to End, that would be fine with me (as coordinator of the Puget Sound run). I love running the length of the Sound and back, but a run into the San Juans is always great fun.

Again, it's pretty late in the game to change schedules, but these are some possible options, if Lowell wants to make a change.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Lowell, If somehow the San Juan event could come up with another date i really feel you may have quite a few more people that could go......like maybe the 19th of June or like Marty said about the 28th or so of Aug. I remember when we did it back in 07 that was the most fun event of the summer. Being you know the San Juans very well as long as you plan all of the conditions out like the tides,crossing time my 17' Rosario did just fine. It was a piece of cake. I'am sure the G-3 would do just fine as well as long as i had members around me. Maybe the weather would be better as well too.Best,Chuck

Hey, Joe ....you are sharp on seeing that ! No Sheila is not that old , but it makes me look younger..i think? At this time next year she will have only 6 days before she hits the big 70 ! She would kill me if she knew i posted this.Sheila is about 60 days older than me so at this age every day counts. Young stud,Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

My two cents worth. I want to do the San Juan event but can't next weekend. I like both of Marty's suggestions. Aug. 28 is Becky's birthday but we haven't made any plans and she loves Rosario and the San Juans.
          Jerry
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Elena and I had reservations about going this early in the year. We are basically ready to go, but would prefer to go later in the summer. August gets our vote. This is something I have wanted to do and would want to go with someone who knows the way as it seems there are a number of boat 'stay-out' areas up there. The boat is basically ready, except a couple more grounds and finishing what has become a logic circuit with relays and all to separate my dual fuel tank level readings.

Comment

Another San Juan Adventure ? yes-- for sure in 2011

I like everyone's ideas about rescheduling for another date this summer or try it again next year. I think I will try to do both but the problem is with resheduling it this year, there are already a lot of activities on the Events Calendar.
              Some of the weekends that are open there is a large tidal exchange -3 foot low. Besides the clubs calendar I have one for home too, my wife wants to take out the sailboat for a week and the outer coast of Washington is calling again for a kayak adventure and the two grandkids want their Papa.

This is what I propose, keep this June 5 and 6 and lead another trip into the Islands next year. I will start a discussion on what days would be the best time to go this winter, so everyone that is interested can help pick a date.

Thank you for the feedback and interest, lets do it again next year too.

So Chuck----- you still in----it sounds like your truck is ready, are you?

Lowell
              1956 Enduracraft Monterey
              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

The San Juans, This Year, Next Year, Every Year!

Lowell and others....

I'm glad you, Chuck and maybe some others are planning to stick with Plan A, going this weekend.

We already have at least one other event scheduled for the San Juans this summer: On Sunday, August 1, club members will be encouraged to rendezvous in the San Juans with Aussie Jim, his wife Barbara, and Tim Jones aboard his by-then restored 31-foot Skagit Saratogan...perhaps at Lopez Island, but possibly somewhere else.

That doesn't mean we have to start out Sunday morning; we could begin cruising the San Juans on Saturday, July 31, overnighting somewhere before getting together Sunday with Jim and Barbara.

So please mark your calendars for the weekend of July 31-August 1, and plan to get a tour (and maybe a ride) aboard Tim's spectacular 31-foot Skagit...together with a festive rendezvous with our Skagit friends from Down Under.

Another opportunity to visit the San Juans will be Saturday, June 19, when Tim Jones has his boatshop garage sale, surplusing tons of stuff before moving the Saratogan (and everything else) out of the rented shop he'll vacate by the end of June-ish.

- Marty
                http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                X