New Toy for the Mrs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toy for the Mrs.

My wife Kim and I went out and indulged in a stronger Juki industrial Sewing Machine.Sporting a 1/2 HP Singer motor,and a "walking Foot" ,this baby will punch thru Leather.
    We can even make the piping from scratch now,or buy in bulk and just assemble new covers for older seats.
    We hope to get the Serger so we can move on the custom canvas as well as seating.
    Can`t wait to tackle some bigger jobs,plus will help us use up my remnant pile I`ve amassed in my attic.
    Someday we will have to stop using the Dining room table for my buddie`s old seats........
    Read a good article posted on the Fiberglassics board that shows some nice techniques......this sorta led our desire for the "real deal".
    Hope to show off some of her work on the 16th of April.Some yellow piping on my Seafair Helm seat is now in order.
    Time to pay for Braces!
    TM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 16603
    My wife Kim and I went out and indulged in a stronger Juki industrial Sewing Machine.Sporting a 1/2 HP Singer motor,and a "walking Foot" ,this baby will punch thru Leather.
    We can even make the piping from scratch now,or buy in bulk and just assemble new covers for older seats.
    We hope to get the Serger so we can move on the custom canvas as well as seating.
    Can`t wait to tackle some bigger jobs,plus will help us use up my remnant pile I`ve amassed in my attic.
    Someday we will have to stop using the Dining room table for my buddie`s old seats........
    Read a good article posted on the Fiberglassics board that shows some nice techniques......this sorta led our desire for the "real deal".
    Hope to show off some of her work on the 16th of April.Some yellow piping on my Seafair Helm seat is now in order.
    Time to pay for Braces!
    TM
    A good machine is worth every penny.
    Mine is the Sailrite, walking foot, for upholstery and canvas. I demo'ed it by cutting an old leather belt that you hold your pants up with, lapping it and sewing it back together. Sure sold me.
    Still practicing here.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Tim,

You might like to check out Sailrite's video library. There are some good FREE videos containing some useful tips with live streaming. I have a Thompson walking foot which is the same as the Sailrite. Matt and the gang at Sailrite provide outstanding support.

http://www.sailrite.com/

Melanie
      1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Thanx for the Link Melanie,
        We were "fishing" for exactly that kind of info as you can never know too much.
        Kim did up some test panels in Red /White 2 `` stripes.
        Nothing like a real machine with no plastic or Computer to teach what you want.The Sailrite machine was the one we aimed for ,but Renton Sewing had this Juki in the warehouse that seemed perfect for us.
        I`ll try for some pics later today......
        TM
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Heavy Duty Sewing Machines

I'd be interested to learn more about your machines. I have a Read's Sailmaker. A zig zag machine made in England. Not a walking foot or as heavy duty as what you have, but will sew heavy sail material and probably vinyl.

Tim
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Like Melanie said, Sailrite has Lots of stuff to help you learn as they also sell a large amount of other goods.

I have gone though some of the step by step instructions, did up some diamond patterns.

I ended up using the little chalk wheel from the sewing shops to draw a line for me to follow.
            I find it hard to go straight.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Reminds me of the cockeyed seamstress. She couldn't mend straight!
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Not cockeyed but still, its hard to make a straight line.

Nothing I would ever be able make a living at due to the amount of time it takes me but I fixed this top on the Uniflite.
                It was too wide, too long, but the material was there and I just had to redesign it..

I have to admit, its pretty fun to play with :BigHappy1:
                Attached Files
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Another new Toy for the Mrs.

Hey guys,
                  We found another sewing machine that was too cheap to pass up.Ended up being a one-owner,lightly used Pfaff 130 in a sweet little case that even had a chair nested into it.This little gem from 1953 does the Zig-Zag and smaller stitches with more control than the mighty Walking Foot Juki.
                  We`ll test it out on some of my fleet before attempting to do much as far as tops.Our first attempt is down to adding some snaps and attatching it to the frame.
                  Not as easy as they seem.......but sure changes a look of a boat.
                  TimM
                  Attached Files
                  SeaRay 175BR
                  Hi-Laker lapline
                  14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, Nice find! Those Pfaff 130 are a great machine. Have fun. Chuck
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                    X