No announcement yet.

The Competency Hearing is Next Week...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Competency Hearing is Next Week...

Howdy Folks,

Well, after months of lurking I finally snapped up my classic... a 1964 Johnson Deluxe, complete with Johnson trailer. Looked OK, mechanically pretty good, needed maybe just some cosmetic stuff. Paid way too much for it, but - oh well.
    A week after I got it home the gas tank rusted through and dumped about five gallons of fuel into the boat. I put it on the scales and it's about 500 lbs overweight. Floors are coming out along with waterlogged foam. Oh yeah, it needs a new convertible top and frame, too.
    You know, I thought I would be more upset about this, but all I can think about is how much fun it will be to get this little turkey with its stepped bottom on the water. I'm afraid I've caught Old Boat Fever.

Ed
    Attached Files

Johnson Sweet 16

Cool boat! What is the length?

I worked on one called a Sweet 16 many years ago. Had a two stroke V-4 hooked to a stern drive. Real glass curved windshield. They are great riding boats for their size.

Congrats!

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Competency Hearing

Ed -

Don't worry, you're among friends who have all flunked the compentency hearing...sometimes over and over again.

Hopefully, when the tank leaked fuel, virtually all of it was contained on top of the cockpit floor...and it didn't get down into what's left of the foam.

Cutting the floor out and removing the waterlogged foam will be a messy but straightforward job. The good news is that the OMC-Johnson-Evinrude hulls were solidly built, so you shouldn't have to worry about hull deformation when you cut the floor wide open. When you replace the floor, you can either use the newer, improved two-part floatation foam...or consider going without foam and supporting the floor with framing. If you pour foam into the bottom cavities, be sure to drill 1-12 to 2-inch vent holes every 15 inches or so (side-to-side and fore-and-aft), both to pour the foam mix into, and also to allow the expanding foam to escape through the holes...as opposed to lifting your cockpit deck skyward. If you have questions about the process, just ask here on the message board and members will pitch in with tips.

Great boat!

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 10769
        Ed -

Don't worry, you're among friends who have all flunked the compentency hearing...sometimes over and over again.

Hopefully, when the tank leaked fuel, virtually all of it was contained on top of the cockpit floor...and it didn't get down into what's left of the foam.

Cutting the floor out and removing the waterlogged foam will be a messy but straightforward job. The good news is that the OMC-Johnson-Evinrude hulls were solidly built, so you shouldn't have to worry about hull deformation when you cut the floor wide open. When you replace the floor, you can either use the newer, improved two-part floatation foam...or consider going without foam and supporting the floor with framing. If you pour foam into the bottom cavities, be sure to drill 1-12 to 2-inch vent holes every 15 inches or so (side-to-side and fore-and-aft), both to pour the foam mix into, and also to allow the expanding foam to escape through the holes...as opposed to lifting your cockpit deck skyward. If you have questions about the process, just ask here on the message board and members will pitch in with tips.

Great boat!

- Marty
        That is a cool boat for sure.
        Only thing I can add here is if and when you decide to use the new closed cell flotation foam is to jack the nose up as high as you can.
        If she has cross frames, keep your expansion holes close to the next frame forward to help fill voids.
        Another thing is that if you can pressure wash the hull, make it real clean, you can be more assured that the foam will stick to the hull as well as to the deck floor. :TwoCents1:

Oh yeah.....We started a NMB which was supposed to stand for No More Boats. Some of us got confused under the influence of Classic Glass and it transformed into Need More Boats.

The one thing that I can tell you for sure is that you can do a Total Restoration on one of these older Classic boats for one hell of a lot less than any automobile, And, Turn just as many heads.
        You see Classic Cars all the time, Classic boats, well, (shhhhh) you don't see that many Classic Glass boats now do you :BigWink1:
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Welcome to the dark side Ed!Don't worry, your among friends now.

Comment

Ed, welcome to the addiction, er .. I mean obsession, er .. club! yeah, that's it, club!

Hopefully you'll fail the competency hearing and then you'll fit right in here.

Nice boat, you'll find lots of help here, be sure and post lots of photos of your progress. We love photos.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I also appreciate the advice on pulling the floors and foam. The engine comes out tomorrow and then the real fun starts. I'll try to post pictures as I go.
              The boat is a 17' Deluxe with the 150hp V6. Here's a good website on the Johnson boats: http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/
              Ed Pierson
              Vashon

Comment

Ed ,
                That line of OMC tri-hulls were devised to answer the rash of sunken Glasspars and non-foamed runabouts.
                With a Capacity rating of 8-12 people and 2000 lbs or so ,it`s still safely usable.
                Pretty sure it will float even with plug pulled once re-foamed as was.That would be nothing but good.
                Tim M
                unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

64 Johnson

Ed,

If you have any questions regarding tearing apart your 64' Johnson, get in touch with me. Most of the other people on this site have better technical knowledge on boats, but I did take one of these on as my first project as well. Look out, pretty soon you will have a couple of projects in the back yard!

I have some hints on how to take out the old stinky foam! But I would replace the foam. It makes the boat seam very strong and solid. And since there is no cavity below the floor, the drain plug is actually above the water line.

Good luck,

Karl
                  17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                  18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                  19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                  25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                  14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                  14' Stilleto

Comment

Attn:Karl!

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your offer of help. I sent you a PM with a bunch of questions about the Johnson boats. You can reach me through a PM or email to deltadart48@gmail.com.
                    Thanks!

Ed

Comment

How did the hearing go, Ed? Welcome to the passion...

Looking forward to seeing your progress.::Underconstruction1: :TakePicture1:

Comment

Working...
                      X