Yep, faster than U
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe, I could get a 115 Merc for the 17' and then use that name over again..... " Faster-N-U " Know of anybody with a KING trailer for sale Model KB 1410 , KB 1610 or KB 2110 ? Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hey Chuck.

I talked to Marty about this, I also talked to George Calkins when he was alive about this.
        I have this 17 Skagit Express here that someone had put a small OMC I/0 package in at one time.
        I don't now what you call them nor do I have a picture of them but down the sides he had these small fiberglassed boards, out riggers or whatever, like on the bartender boats.
        Marty was telling me that they were designed to help Lift the boat up on plain faster. Makes real sense.
        George Calkins told me pretty much the same thing but he also said it help the boat from, what he called Hopping at higher speeds, (porpoising).
        Makes more sense to me that they would provide Lift but they were also tilted down and not straight out away from the boat. Not sure what the angle is.
        But what this appears to do is to force some of the water back under the boat providing stability as well as the lifting.

One of these things on hull designs that are a mystery, but, still wonder about it. George Calkins was no dummy.

Guess I will never know unless I put in a OMC with the I/0 back in it and try it.
        Its that part were they are at an angle that would force the water back under the hull, to a degree, that makes me wonder..........

Nevertheless, it just might be enough for the Skagit Hull design to help that porpoising above 40mph which tends to be a big problem with them.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Joe, I get the idea you are talking about, but i was kind of half kidding about the 115 hp Merc. I would like to find another Evinrude 50 hp 1986 like i had on the Rosario or like the 50hp 1983 one that GregJ's Skagit has that i put on it in 1996. They are so good on gas and running. If not i might go with the 65 or 85 hp Merc. The 65 hp on "California Girl " runs great but not quite as good on the gas. Thanks for your help. Chuck
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

40 miles an hour?

I have a merc 115 on Ideal. It is crazy fast and not fun at that speed. I dont think I was going 40 either. John

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 11609
              Joe, I get the idea you are talking about, but i was kind of half kidding about the 115 hp Merc. I would like to find another Evinrude 50 hp 1986 like i had on the Rosario or 1983 GregJ's Skagit has that i put on it back in 1996. They are so good on gas and running. If not i might go with the 65 or 85 hp Merc. The 65 hp on "California Girl " runs great but not quite as good on the gas. Thanks for your help. Chuck
              I have looked and looked for one of those engines that may have needed rebuilding, never could afford one running but, man, what a sweet engine.
              I heard they call it a 50 but it was a down tuned 60 in real life.

Like anything when its running at its potential, tends to use more fuel.
              Like most small block V8's. Once you have seen them running on a big Sun Station (scope) and in a Dyno, you can see when they start using more fuel to produce more horse power. Pretty much the good rule of thumb it to keep those V8's at or below 3000 rpm for efficiency. Anything past that, takes Lots more to produce more.

Some of the Merc's are that way too. Its still a 1000 cube engine but down tuned with smaller carbs.
              I know with my Bearcat, if I keep it down at 3K, she only Sips fuel as well.

Hope you can find another engine like you had....That is one sweet motor for sure.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
              X