Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found Your Design (!)

Peter -

I knew I'd seen your design years ago, and after flipping through some old magazines your boat appeared in the 1960 edition of BOAT BUILDERS HANDBOOK, published by Science & Mechanics Magazine. (The design appeared in earlier editions, too, I think...but I happened across the 1960 issue first.)

The design is called Voyageur, and its described as an 18-foot "Family Cabin Cruiser." In the article it's powered by a 1956 30hp Evinrude Big Twin, which reportedly pushed the hull to a top speed of 20 mph with two people aboard.

There is no mention of inboard or inboard-outboard power as an option.

When I get my scanner fixed, or replaced, I'll scan and post the entire article, but the boat was designed by William D. Jackson, who produced a lot of designs expressly for how-to-build magazine features, and the design is described as follows: "Scow type cruiser with tunnel for cruising upon protected waters such as rivers, lakes and protected bays. A safe, efficient cruiser, for family or commercial use, where load carrying ability is essential."

It's easy to imagine that few Voyageurs were actually built, and even fewer have survived, so whatever your view of the new find, it's a rare one!

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

http://www.dngoodchild.com/5181.htm
      www.floatyourboat.info/jackson.html

In 1996 A friend was talking to me about the "internet" I said - "there's nothing there!" He replied - it'll all be there.

He was so right. It's been - what - 8 hours? - since I posted this boat and asked for help identifying it. An obscure home built piece like this. My God.

Thanks Marty !!!!!!!!!

Now what - is this a sacred trust? You have to be right...few were built. Could be the only survivor - and with that bizarre sterndrive at that.

BTW - Marty - I found a Dual Deluxe!

Peter
      in Denver

Comment

Marty is a wood guy and should have some advice about that.
        I do know that it has to be Bone Dry before any sealer, epoxy resin or anything that goes on it.

If it was me, I would swab it out to dry, plant an heater in it and make it bone dry.
        Any joints that are loose, West System epoxy the joints with new fasteners.
        You can use several different fillers to give it that syrupy or even peanut butter like consistency for any gaps that might need filling.

You could try to peel all the glass matting off but it might end up taking some wood paneling too.
        You could always cut some glass matting to replace the bad areas, glass them back in. Some sanding and Evercoat Lite for filler.

Lots of boat builders used just plain marine plywood, some even MDO plywood with paint.
        They do make some really good two part epoxy paints now too.

That is just too unique to Not put her back in the water.:TwoCents1:

Being in Colorado, no worries about Big water and that would to just fine in the lakes. Not sure how that would do out here were we get some really large rolling swells when the tides change by 12 feet.

Good chance you have a one of a kind
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I see Marty (Ole) was Lurking and beat me to the punch here...
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

...a three hour tour...

Originally posted by Peter_Crowl, post: 11671
            Owwwww!
            C'Mon...at the very least it's the coolest playhouse ever.

I had to buy it - it came with the hat!
            Skipper! Is that you?:Skipper1:
            "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack, post: 11690
              Skipper! Is that you?:Skipper1:
              I was thinking the same thing.
              Keep looking around, you might find your "Little Buddy"

Comment

That is and interest in boat. It look like would clime waves and not cut through them.
                Mike aka pathfinderz1
                Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C, post: 11701
                  I was thinking the same thing.
                  Keep looking around, you might find your "Little Buddy"
                  I got yer little buddy right here...

Comment

Uh, that does Not resemble the USS Minnow :Skipper1:

I do think it should be given a chance on the water.
                    Remember, what it was designed for, lakes and rivers.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 11709
                      Uh, that does Not resemble the USS Minnow :Skipper1:

I do think it should be given a chance on the water.
                      Remember, what it was designed for, lakes and rivers.
                      You're right but everywhere I go with this that's the first thing I hear :~)

And you're right about lakes and rivers. But...in my neck of the woods the lakes all suffer the curse of the Wakeboard. For some reason the management groups have rolled over for those people who intentionally create the biggest wake possible. This has resulted in nasty shoreline erosion and renders the lakes virtually unuseable by others. I could go out very early in the day...or very late...but 10-5 it'll be way too rough for this one - or virtually every boat I own.

I'm actually hoping to find somebody in a more appropriate part of the country who could give her a good home.

Peter

Comment

Anybody up for a Viking funeral?
                        '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Mini Cabin

You dont need to put it in the water. Here in washington there are guys that go steelhead fishing in the winter. That would make a cool shack to warm up in while waiting to catch a fish. Even using it as a camp trailer. Or set it on a lookout on the top of a mountain. It would look cool anywhere. John

Comment

Originally posted by John Berg, post: 11735
                            You dont need to put it in the water. Here in washington there are guys that go steelhead fishing in the winter. That would make a cool shack to warm up in while waiting to catch a fish. Even using it as a camp trailer. Or set it on a lookout on the top of a mountain. It would look cool anywhere. John
                            Well that along with Playhouse and Towable Party Barge are all possibilities but I'd like to see her have a chance at survival...as a boat, not as a Tough Shed.

Allow me to cross post something I put up at the Woodboat forum.......

As to the boat...
                            Well - yes - it is ............interesting. Isn't it? I'm not being facetious when I talk of saving it. I paid what the trailer is worth because of the wierd sterndrive setup. It would have been a shame to see that go to scrap. It is very well built. Whoever did it-- knew how.

It's a throwback to the days when Men had "Spare Time" and built things. But then they wern't busy ferrying their kids from one activity to another. Their kids - us - had to amuse ourselves - or help Dad with whatever project he was involved with. That's how we learned to do things. A quick inventory of the children of my friends reveals that they have the ability to push buttons and play some organized sport or another. Asking them to clean a P trap is tantamount to asking my dog to do the same and gets the same reaction.

Ugly...you bet. In all the material about Mr. Jacksons work that I can find online, this design is never mentioned. But this design is - as was said above - emblematic of the 50's. One look at it and you know it came from plans printed in Popular Workbench.

You also know that somebody built it. Probably in his basement ...then had to excavate the entire back yard, knocking out a foundation wall with a sledge hammer just to extracate it. (Well - maybe not - but there was a guy in our neighborhood who built an airplane in his attic and had to remove the window and framing to get it out. It was of great interest to us boys.)

It's the absurdity of it...heck it's a monument to absurdity. But it's also a monument to self reliance. In a time when people are encouraged to stay home and gaze at their carbon footprint, this reminds us that there was a time before disclaimers. A time when magazines taught you how to mold your own toys ...out of lead. A time when we played with Mercury on our desk tops and tore the asbestos wrapping off the steam pipes in our classrooms.

If it were a modern design...a V hull cruiser or fast runabout...it would be of interest but it would also be familiar to all who saw it. This is not. This is something you'd see in a Creature Feature movie - slowly plying the waters of the lagoon in search of the monster - but you've never seen in real life.

No...I think that this design is perfect. It's the epitome of 50's bizarre - yet as with all things of the era - it's practical. It makes no attempt to conceal the fact that it's a home built boat. No commercial manufacturer - with the exception of Higgins under wartime contract - would produce such a thing. But there it is. A monument to Dad. A memorial to all the guys who drove screws with a bit and brace...who worked two jobs and found the "Spare Time" to build a house - like my father did.

Sorry - even I'm beginning to hear the fife and drums that accompanyed the speeches of Oliver Wendell Douglas.

The fiberglass is sloughing off like sunburn peel...but if the wood is basically solid...can I -with the help of those who know what they're doing - against their better judgement - rescue this boat which I think I'll name "Spare Time" ?

Peter
                            in Denver

Comment

I remember the 50s real good. I was 17 in 1957 when hot rods and rock and roll were at their hight. I love your coments on the boat. I would love to give you a hand in bringing this old girl back to live. Dam you just live to faraway for that to happen. It might be ulgy to some but she has lines and a haritage.
                              Save her if you can and I know it will be fun running her out on the water.
                              Mike aka pathfinderz1
                              PS
                              If you haven't figured out how old I am I will be 70 in Oct and my brain still thinks I'm 17
                              Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Excellent write up Peter. I felt like I was back in the fifties. Have fun in your "Spare Time".
                                Steve Kiesel
                                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X