Bearcat sighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcat sighting

After 9 months in storage the mighty "Bearcat" fired right up and we made a few laps around Lake Campbell. Good to have the Skagit back on the water. Can't believe how quiet that motor runs and Idles SOoooo sweet. :boater1:
    Attached Files
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Enuff with these Quiet, smooth idling, 4 cyle Bearcats. Keeps making me want one for my own and I'm really happy with the 'Rude 50 on Rosario. (Okay, a tilt would be nice on it but what's the point in having a young wife if not to lift your motor for you?)
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 11929
      Enuff with these Quiet, smooth idling, 4 cyle Bearcats. Keeps making me want one for my own and I'm really happy with the 'Rude 50 on Rosario. (Okay, a tilt would be nice on it but what's the point in having a young wife if not to lift your motor for you?)
      Har...You Can't get enough of these Bearcats.
      They are just not Hot rod engines.

Your boat will run about 30ish. With the bearcat on my Skimaster 16 (which I know I don't have the right prop on it) I top out at 26mph.

But, I can go almost twice as far as the 50 Rude and not have to spend the money on the oil either.

They just have there place is all. :TwoCents1:
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Looking good Rick. I am looking forward to hearing how many times you get hassled for having a "polluter" on 4-stroke limited Lake Whatcom-only to school them on the history under the hood.:Police1:

Comment

Hey Joe, 26 is more "25ish" than "30ish"!

With an 11" pitch prop the 17 1/2' Sabrecraft will do 28 with just my overpadded self in it but if the load is four adults, or three adults and a couple of kids, the 10" is a better idea. Despite their good points, it's understandable that they lost out to the 2-strokes, to most consumers saving money just isn't as much fun as going fast. Especially since the 60's wasn't exactly the era of fuel economy.

Comment

Good to go on Whatcom

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 11931
            Looking good Rick. I am looking forward to hearing how many times you get hassled for having a "polluter" on 4-stroke limited Lake Whatcom-only to school them on the history under the hood.:Police1:
            I bought the Bearcat so I could go on Whatcom, I live 5 Min. from the ramp and have gotten nothing but uh's and Ah's when I go to Bloedel Donovan launch. I get about 24 M.P.H. @ 5000 R.P.M. and cruise at 4500 about 22 M.P.H. 500 R.P.M. for 2 M.P.H. is not worth it. Burn about 3 to 3.5 Gal. an hour . If the bracket was less than 12" I would put one on the Larson.
            :Cop1:
            Rick & Sarah

Comment

O'K tough guy

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 11929
              Yeah, like Becky lifts the motor ?? I saw your fur lined seat on the toilet.
              Rick & Sarah

Comment

Top Speed

My Homelite tops out at 26mph with the 11" pitch on it. The Bearcat will do 27 mph with the same prop. Neither engine has hit 5500 rpm. I'm thinking of trying the 10" pitch next time out. Seems we're all hitting close on speed but I would think my 690lb aluminum 16ft Sylvan is a bit lighter than your boats and the speed would be quicker.
                Dick Johnson
                1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                '57 Evinrude 18hp
                '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                '72 Johnson 6hp
                '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                '65 Homelite 55
                '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

On last years Sound End to End I burned 18 gals. and covered 220 mi.. I was at 20 mph. with 4500 rpms a lot of the time. Chuck C. had the same resolts. We were both running our Skagit 17 Express' with Rude 50s'. Chucks boat would do about 1 mph (31) more than mine. We think that was because of the lower profile wind shield on the Rosario. :TwoCents1:
                  Greg James

Comment

I agree with Greg on the way the Evinrudes motors run. This up coming Skagit i have will be putting a long with a 85hp Merc that will do just fine, but i will still miss that super good 50hp Evinrude that's on Rosario. Jerry it's time for a tune up on that baby. Chuck
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Tune up? Didn't you say it would just run forever when you sold it to me? BTW, I ordered an Anchor Buddy yesterday after using my anchor off pulley system and falling off Rosario's bow while trying to get ashore without scratching her bottom. Hope it will work better.

Comment

Falling off Roserio

But did you scratch YOUR bottom? Let us know how that new anchor system works. John

Comment

Jerry, This is the way i used the buddy Anchor. Being i to did not want to fall off the bow, i would clip it onto the back cleat and go forward to shore. Once you are able to climb out ( in the cockpit area ) of the SIDE into the water, i would pull the line out of the cap on the deck. That all.....If you don't want that ugly bow rail i will buy it back from you for $200.00 BIG one's....and even fill the holes and paint it for you. HUH ?...what a deal...really. Chuck

Comment

Do I got this right? With the Anchor Buddy you would attach to the stern cleat and climb over the side into the water and hang onto a bow line and let the Anchor Buddy pull the boat out backward to the anchor? Two problems that I see, 1. Water up here is cold. 2. When you anchor off the stern you can get pooped by a passing wake or big waves.
                            I'm thinking maybe a rope ladder off the bow and the Anchor Buddy and the retreiver rope fastened to bow eye. Wouldn't that work?
                            Hadn't thought about parting out Rosario. Becky says the bow rail stays on Rosario. We are just back from a great day at Sucia Island on a buoy. Took us an hour to get there as there was some big slop going out but from buoy to home dock was only 40 minutes at 22-23 mph. Burned 6 gallons. Ran great.

Comment

I was not talking where there are big waves. I was thinking when you bring the boat to the beach and hop out in about 2 ft of water and wade up to the bow and get the bow line out of that little cup thing and go to shore with it. Water is cold everywhere. Rope ladder ? on the bow ?, i think you would be swinging back and forth like a monkey ? Glad you had a good time out there ! To hot in the shelter to work on Illahee with the heat up to 95 right now. Tomorrow they say will be better. Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X