Thoughts on dinghys, beaching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on dinghys, beaching

Just got home from a nice cruise with Rosario. Left Lummi Island this morning hearding around the north end of Rosario to the state marine park on Jones Island. Got there to a crowded dock and boats waiting for someone to leave so they could grab the dock space. Hung around for a very long time and two boats left and two moved onto the dock and so we gave up and headed for Doe Island. Found the state has removed the dock since we were there last fall. Didn't want to beach our Rosario after freshly painting her bottom where I peeled off the Keelguard, so we came on home. What do the rest of you do about exploring public beaches by water? Love our boat but do like to explore ashore.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Beach the boat! Rosario is a tough o' girl, now matter how Felix babied her. That's why you have a can of paint.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Afraid I'm getting like Felix in my old age. Want to use Rosario and still keep her as a trailer queen!

Comment

Hey Jerry, Felix here. Like ChuckB said just take the can of paint and every so often touch up the hull.I would do it 1or2 times a summer. Took me about 5-10 min. Felix
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Nearly Beach it

When I go crabbing and clamming I set my anchor and run the rope through the hatch through the cabin door and out over the transom to a rock on the beach. I use my splashwell as a step to get off the boat and into a foot or two of water. I tie the anchor line to a cleat and adjust it when tide moves in or out. You want to be carefull that there are no big rocks for the boat to slam down on. John

Comment

Jerry, I just remember about the buddy anchor that you can get at a marine store. I have one that i have been using for a while. You throw the anchor out and keep going to shore . Have a line on the boat that you will let out as the two of you get off. It's like a big rubber band that takes the boat back out and when you want to leave you pull the line in and hop on and pull the anchor up. It is kind like the idea of John's. Chuck
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Kayak and raft method.

The boat buddy, rubber band works good if there is not a large tidal exchange or you are just staying for a few hours. When I go, I use the boat buddy for short stays and an inflatable kayak for overnight.
              I land on a shore that has a nice sandy or cobble beach, unload friends and gear and the deaf dog. During the unloading process I have someone holding the boat in shallow water (floating) while I blow up the the kayak. It takes 5 minutes, then I tow the kayak out to where I want to anchor. After anchoring, I kayak to shore.

When it comes time to leave you do just the reverse, kayak out to the boat deflate the kayak on board and stow it. Pull up the anchor and go to the beach and pick up everyone making sure not to leave the dog behind.

The kayak weights maybe 50 pounds and costs about $300 dollars for one that can take landings on rough beachs. There are cheaper ones that would work just fine too. Or if your not into kayaking there is the plastic raft you can buy almost anywhere. Those things don't like to be paddled, pushed or pulled, they will float you and get you to shore just not in a hurry.

On Jones Island there is a nice steep cobble beach next to the dock for using both of these methods.
              1956 Enduracraft Monterey
              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

I have something similar that I used with my 17 foot daysailer for a number of years. I've been thinking about trying it. However, you have a big float, a bunch of chain and an anchor as well as 200 feet of rope. Would take up a lot of room in Rosario. Guess what I really want is bigger public docks at marine parks or fewer people out using the parks. Now I'm thinking more toward going to lunch at Rosario, Roche Harbor, Friday Harbor. Places like that.

Comment

Okay, that's confusing. I was responding to Chuck C. and John Berg and, as I sent it, Lowell's response came in. Perhaps that is the way to go. I used to go camping on Lummi Island with my 17 foot sailboat and tow my 12 aluminum boat as a dinghy. It looked rather silly but I could pack all the comforts of home in the aluminum boat and drag it up and down beaches all day long (before finally wearing a hole where the bottom met the transom.)

Comment

Less People

You nailed it with less people. I dont go anywhere on holiday weekends and try to go places during the week when there are less people. I couldn't believe how many people were out crabbing on thursday. Dont these people have jobs? Friday was worse. Not even going to try today. there is a gray whale swimming back and forth in front of Pigeon Creek, that is the first left after the Navy as you leave port of Everett. Had to shut off the motor and let it get by me while checking my crab pots. It was as big as Cool Junk and it surfaced and blew its blowhole 20' from us. I actually was concerned for our safety but it continued on. Been there for 2 days. Ive been crabbing there for years and nevere seen one. Called fish and game and they said its normal. It was very Cool. This just a week after watching a bald eagle grab a huge trout out of Cottage Lake and than drop it because it was to big. John

Comment

Working...
                    X