another lady followed me home - Glasspar Seafair Phaeton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another lady followed me home - Glasspar Seafair Phaeton

I wonder why boats seem to follow me home when my wife is out of town? She headed toward Whistler for dragon boat races and I headed for Junction City Oregon.

This lady is nearly perfect after 25 years in covered storage. 1960 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton with 1961 Merc 700. The Phaeton was never restored or tampered with - essentially everything original. The removable canvas over front seats is a lovely detail just like an :Raining:

Any Seafair owners with advice as to which trailer configuration works best with your boat please send it along (trailer dimensions would be good, EZ loader or King model numbers would be even better).
    Attached Files
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Nice find Bruce, she looks pretty nice!

Comment

Nice boat Bruce. Do you still have the Skagit Offshore?
      Robert Augur

Comment

Wow, nice find Bruce!
        Mark
        Silverdale, WA.
        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Bruce ,
          Mine sits nicer and floats quicker with a Wide model,"over 80``" Caulkins under it.With a Short tongue and wide swooping curves that straddle the bow.
          The original had rollers but the tongue went all the way back under the keel which raised it up really high.
          The lower trailers keep it easy to get in and out ,keep it lower for wind drag on hghways,plus make it more eye appealing.
          It does eat groundspace when parked because it is so wide,but is worth the trade-off.
          Not sure I still have a pic but will look.....
          Rear middle seats fold or?
          They look like the "Rumble seats" I did in my buddie`s Glasspar Citation.Not easy to rebuild once torn down.......
          Tim M
          Attached Files
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Glasspar responses

Robert - yes I still have the Skagit 20 offshore but will probably sell it since the Bell Boy 21 will be done this month. I have not figured out pricing yet.

Tim - the rear middle seats are mounted on metal brackets so no folding away like on some other makes. It looks like your bow eye is relatively high like mine. Do you have any trouble with the bow hitting the frame on shallow boat ramps since there is no bow roller visible on your trailer?

I took the boat and original Merc 700 up to Dr. Frankenmerc in Shelton this morning and it passed the initial eye ball tests. He was very impressed with the overall quality and design of the Phaeton model. So it was a good day.
            Bruce H. Drake
            1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
            1957 Norseman 19' woodie
            1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
            1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Bruce ,
              This trailer is pretty Veed on the crossmembers,and has pivoting brackets to raise the bunks high enough for the bow to keep clear of frames.
              The Keel has little under it except at the Boweye ,which is pretty high and occasionaly needs line to moved above or below the bow roller depending on the steepness of ramp.
              Pulling out slightly after getting 3/4s on straightens it out for the last foot or so.
              Having it between fenders makes it sit a foot lower which makes the lovely wood visible.
              The Phaeton is a cool model with more glass on the sides,nice swoopy curves too.
              TimM
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
              X