a little painting help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little painting help

Someone painted the bottome of my Club Lido with red paint. Thought I could sand it all off but no go. I will be painting it white with InterLux bottom 2 part paint and don't want the red to bleed though.
    What would be a good primer to use to seal the red in.
    Mike aka pathfinderz1
    Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Mike ,
    Interlux calls their Epoxy primer "Barrier Coat " and if it will stop blisters ,it should stop some red from peeking thru.
    I just Sanded down some more House paint off the sides of my Glasspar Marathon,was Blu/White over Lime Green......now for the bottom,.........or maybe not....tough job even with a dustless and Orbital sander.
    A car painter told me he stopped using primer and has been having good luck without it by just using the old tough basecoat as a primer......
    I still like 2-3 coats Epoxy with a 320 sanding session before topping.
    5 coats if blisters or any water intrusion which will keep your paint on.

Stacking the 1 st coat of topcoat on the last coat of primer within the 2 hours Re-coat time is a MUST.

Also note ,the 2 part Interlux doesn`t like to ne moored long-term.Use bottom paint if your going to soak it more than a weekend or two.
    Tim M
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Well I have a half gal of the interlux bottom paint left over from doing my other boat and sure like how it come out. No it not mixed. And that is enough to get 3 coats on the bottom of the Club lido. Most of the red is sanding off. So hope the first coat will seal it and finsh with the other 2.
      Mike aka pathfinderz1

Comment

Removing bottom paint

I have perhaps a 1/2 gallon to a gallon of Peel Away left over. I've used it to remove several layers of bottom paint. Easy to use. Paint it on and cover it with waxed paper. After a day or so (out of the sun), you peel the waxed paper off and the paint comes with it.

Let me know if interested ?
        Tim
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Been doing so checking and looks like the first coat of the InterLux bottom paint I have found out should seal the red from bleeding though. So I'm going to try that and see what happens.
          Mike aka pathfinderz1

Comment

Working...
          X