No feedback steering?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No feedback steering?

After snapping my steering cable off, probably by raising my motor to high or trying to turn it while it was up, I find out the cable is discontinued so I need a new helm. The choice is a Feedback or No-Feedback helm. one when in a turn and you let go of the wheel it stays turned and the other kicks back to going straight. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two systems? John. teleflex safe-T 15' is what I was using before

No feed back means that you don't get the torque steer problem of always holding pressure to the left to go straight ahead. It is much easier to manage as HP goes up. Go with the NFB system, you'll like it better than the cheaper one.
    Good Luck, ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

I put the no feed back teleflex system in my Bell Boy. It works well but is a little stiffer to turn then what I remember with the regular system.
      Dave Wickline
      1967 Jeepster Convertible
      1957 Bell Boy 16' Convertible

Comment

The NFB does keep you straight in turns when let go of but adds resistance to the wheel at all times.
        You can turn the basic helm with one finger but it takes 2-3 to hold on and turn the NFB typse......which are worth the $15-30 extra in cost and are what I always use on my own stuff.
        You also can go from just over 3.0 turns (lock to lock) up to 4.2 turns if you want easier steering and less reaction or quicker response with the fewer # of turns.....usually HP size will make this decision easy.
        TimM
        ps the Older Saf-T Helm can still be used with an adaptor slipped on the new style cable end.Yoiu want what is called a "Spigot adaptor" which takes the place of the big nut you don`t see anymore......stupid hitch pins.....
        If helm is too old or already out then go for the whole set-up.
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
        X