Bell Boy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Berg, post: 12427
    I have an 06 ETEC 90 on my 20' Skagit. And love it. How do you like yours? John
    AWESOME! It is quiet, fast and clean. I don't have to mix fuel. I absolutely love it. :boater1:

Ron

P.S> That is a clean Skagit!
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
    1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

Question for Chuck B

You refer to early and later Seafairs as to construction. What years are early and what are later? Some of your comments pertain mainly to the Seafair Sedan model versus the Sunliner and Phaeton. I have a 1961 Seafair Phaeton hardtop so it is very different construction than the Sedan model so the bulkhead issue probably does not apply. Does 1961 fall into early or later as to stringer construction? (after inital posting I checked the Glasspar assoc. site where it says fir was used in stringers in the 1962 and earlier models - rats - any other construction differences in early and later model years? I guess if you like the Phaeton model there are no options since it may have only been built in 1960 and 1961 but I need to verify that.)
      Attached Files
      Bruce H. Drake
      1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
      1957 Norseman 19' woodie
      1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
      1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

KIlshannig is a '67. I have seen different stringer configurations in these boats.

Ron
        1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

Clean Skagit?

Ron, Pictures really make boats look clean. To set the record straight it is so beat up that I named her Cool Junk to let people know that I know its a beater. The beauty is I dont have to maintain anything but the motors. John

Comment

Hi Ron:

I own a 1960 BellBoy 404 Express. It is true that the hull is rough in 1-2 ft chop but the strange thing is this - when you go faster in this boat with 1-2 foot chop, the ride gets better. I have a Merc 1350 inline 6 engine that my dad installed in 1970. He bought the boat new in 1960. The boat is now restored. The power is more than enough and I just passed the 40 mph barrier while experimenting with props. Its a little over powered but in the bay that might come in handy. It has been a wonderful boat for my family these 50 years with not one crack in the hull. Here are some pics...

best,
            Bob
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BellBoyBob, post: 12714
              Hi Ron:

I own a 1960 BellBoy 404 Express. It is true that the hull is rough in 1-2 ft chop but the strange thing is this - when you go faster in this boat with 1-2 foot chop, the ride gets better. I have a Merc 1350 inline 6 engine that my dad installed in 1970. He bought the boat new in 1960. The boat is now restored. The power is more than enough and I just passed the 40 mph barrier while experimenting with props. Its a little over powered but in the bay that might come in handy. It has been a wonderful boat for my family these 50 years with not one crack in the hull. Here are some pics...

best,
              Bob
              Wow she is gorgeous. I think the Bell Boys are very cool boats. There were a couple of other issues with the one we looked at. The guy selling it said the same thing about the ride so it must be true. We were a heart beat away from buying her but something just didn't feel right...you know how it is with boats. You kind of have to feel that connection. We ended up with a nice Dorsett so everything worked out well for us.

Ron

Comment

Which Dorsett did you buy? They were built, I think, in the bay area. Our BellBoy began its life in Santa Rosa, CA so it has been on the SF Bay once or twice before we brought it up to Lake Almanor for 40 of its fifty years. We have a cabin there and that's where the boat was mostly used.
                Good luck with the Dorsett. These are really classic boats and you will turn a lot of heads with one of them!

Best,
                Bob

Comment

We got a '62 San Juan inboard. She's a cream Puff for a 62. Not as pretty as your Bell Boy though.

Ron

Comment

[quote="Ronald64, post: 12723"]We got a '62 San Juan inboard. She's a cream Puff for a 62. Not as pretty as your Bell Boy though.

Foamed Bellboys do pretty well. 30 mph no problem in chop up to 44 mph scarry fast. This little boat handles pretty nice.

But i do like those Dorsetts!
                    [ATTACH]6862.vB[/ATTACH]
                    Attached Files
                    John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Marvelous power?

John,

What do you have for power on Marvelous? I know I've seen her but I don't remember, I was too dazzled by the paint job.

I'm putting a 198hp Mercruiser in my '60 Bell Boy Sedan convertible, curious to know what speed to expect.

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 12731
                        John,

What do you have for power on Marvelous? I know I've seen her but I don't remember, I was too dazzled by the paint job.

I'm putting a 198hp Mercruiser in my '60 Bell Boy Sedan convertible, curious to know what speed to expect.

Thanks,

Tim
                        Hi Tim,
                        2009 Mercury Optimax 13 1/4 x 17 stainless prop. Tops at 44 mph on GPS with my fat butt in it. Takes everything to get there so only seen it once.
                        John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Thanks John,

I'm hoping with the I/O I'll be able to cruise at a respectable speed (20-25) for cruising with others without having it wound up tight.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 12734
                            Thanks John,

I'm hoping with the I/O I'll be able to cruise at a respectable speed (20-25) for cruising with others without having it wound up tight.

Tim
                            20 - 25 is perfect. Oh and i forgot 115hp Opti.
                            John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Tim -
                              I would imagine with the 198 hp Alpha Drive Mercruiser I/O, you will be easily doing 40 + MPH.

John - Nice to hear from you again. The Marvelous looks great out there - love the pics. These restos don't ever really end, do they...I have a very soft cockpit floor right at the help. I have to step right on to the stringer for fear of putting my foot through the rotted original sub-floor. I put a mahogany strip floor on last year - great timing. So, next season, I will re-do the original interior and I am sure I will be asking a lot of construction questions. For the rest of this season, I would just like to be on the water.

One thing I definitely notice with the larger (cir. 20') hulls is that they ride markedly better when weight is added at the bow. I did not load concrete bags in to the V-berth as John Berg did in his Skagit 20', but when my son who is 205 lbs, sits on the bow, the ride is wonderful in chop. Not the greatest solution but it does help!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BellBoyBob, post: 12745
                                Tim -
                                I would imagine with the 198 hp Alpha Drive Mercruiser I/O, you will be easily doing 40 + MPH.

John - Nice to hear from you again. The Marvelous looks great out there - love the pics. These restos don't ever really end, do they...I have a very soft cockpit floor right at the help. I have to step right on to the stringer for fear of putting my foot through the rotted original sub-floor. I put a mahogany strip floor on last year - great timing. So, next season, I will re-do the original interior and I am sure I will be asking a lot of construction questions. For the rest of this season, I would just like to be on the water.

One thing I definitely notice with the larger (cir. 20') hulls is that they ride markedly better when weight is added at the bow. I did not load concrete bags in to the V-berth as John Berg did in his Skagit 20', but when my son who is 205 lbs, sits on the bow, the ride is wonderful in chop. Not the greatest solution but it does help!

Bob
                                Hey Bob,
                                I foamed every inch of the hull including the void in the bow. My twin 18 gallon fuel tanks are midship and batteries are under my seat boxes. That being said i have not needed any forward weight as most all of my weight is midship and it handles beautiful. And that is why i chose the 2 stroke Opti to keep the weight down in the stern and simplicity of the new 2 stroke. Real happy with that big bad Merc!
                                We have had the Bellboy in some snotty stuff from South Sound to far North Sound and i feel pretty comfortable. Now ask my wife and the story changes!
                                [ATTACH]6876.vB[/ATTACH]
                                Attached Files
                                John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Working...
                                X