Another Bell Boy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bell Boy

I am new to this forum and to the PNW but not to old boats. I currently have a 12' feathercraft cartopper I brought from Georgia with a variety of old outboards to power it. After going salmon/sturgeon fishing here, I am searching for a bigger boat to handle the Columbia, Willapa Bay, etc. - the feathercraft has no freeboard. Browsing craigslist, I came across this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/1861442362.html

I happen to have a 1956 30hp Johnson which could be used to power the boat. I had a few questions for those more familiar with this make:

1.) Is this a reasonable price? Seems high to me especially if the boat is missing steering and controls. Trailer doesn't look that great. Is the top supposed come off?

2.) Is 30hp enough for this boat? I am not looking for a speed demon, but I would like to get up on a plane

3.) What is the deal with the transom/splash well? I guess maybe the inner divider was removed? Is this hard to replace?

I do have experience doing fiberglass/epoxy work. I just finished redoing the transom on a Lido 14 sailboat. I just don't want to get in over my head. Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks for any help.

-John

My humble opinion: I'd keep looking. I'd think a larger boat would be better for Columbia and Willapa Bay and, not knowing the Bell Boy, I'd say the splashwell was taken out to make more room. Don't really mean to knock another guy's boat but I think you could do better.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I'd certainly agree with Lootas1. Something around 19-21 feet with 65-100 dependable horsepower with an aux motor (9.9-15 hp?) Something like a Dorsett San Juan comes to mind.....lots of freeboard. PNW waters are cold and unforgivable if something should go wrong......flipped a small sailboat last week and instantly remembered that a water temp of 52 degrees is a bit nippy and not something you would want to be in for any length of time.

Comment

Price is high

John, Keep looking. There are a lot of cool old classic boats out there for free or a couple hundred dollars. You can put your 30 horse on anything up to a 20' if you stay close to the launch and have a spare kicker with you. If you get tired of going slow than you can always get a bigger motor later on. I would just wait for the boat you love at a great price. John
        Attached Files

Comment

Its not that I dont like the boat... I actually was looking for a boat this size with a covered cockpit. I don't have a problem staying close to the launch and I actually have both a '56 5hp and 7 1/2hp matching (johnson) kickers which run like new. I was asking more or less about the price and condition. Do these come up for sale here often? In better condition? I like the look of the cruiser/seafair, but that is too much boat for me.

Great forum and thank you for all the quick responses! I may go over this evening and give it a once over - of course that is how the trouble starts...

Comment

I have to agree with the others, keep looking. Although the seller certainly has a sense of humor, describing it as being in "excellent condition", in my opinion that is too much money for that boat. Lots and lots of equally appealing old boats out there for less.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a boat that size for less, I wouldn't be surprised if someone here on the forum had something to offer. Heck, I have a 16' Del mar in the classifieds sections free to anyone who wants to come tow it home. The floor and all other interior wood is rotted out of it, so it must be in excellent condition too!

Tim

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Anybody have an almost free Bell Boy 16 they don't want?

The boat I looked at should be free. Interior was gutted (which was probably a lot of work), stringers removed, etc. He did save all the rotten wood to make patterns. He also has ~2' diameter roll of woven fabric he will throw in with the deal. Fiberglass looked in great shape - no cracks, gouges, etc. Dash was cut for a radio & gauges. Trailer is rusty - no dust caps on the bearings. He did save the motor - about a '65 merc 350 with the original controls if anybody is interested. Claims it needs a coil to run (the other is ok). The hunt continues...:catchfish1:

Comment

free Bell Boy

Marty Loken has a solid Bell Boy 18 for free. It is a project boat but would be very nice when finished. He has it listed in classifieds.

I will be posting a Skagit 14 later tonight once I get the pictures through photoshop. It is in Portland/Scappoose area. Very solid little boat ready to run. Look in classifieds later tonight. I will be probably listing a Skagit 20 offshore in the near future that is fully restored with a 115 Merc 4 stroke. It could handle Willapa Bay with ease.
                Bruce H. Drake
                1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Working...
                X