Dougs new Skagit 20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dougs new Skagit 20

Was heading under the Rainbow bridge, when I saw a 1958, red and white Skagit 20, with the original hardtop. They had just got back from Lopez island.

Doug can fill you all in on the details. Great score Doug!

Steve

Here is the link for my boat, I told you about:

http://www.fidalgo.net/~autogod/36yacht/IMG_0493.jpg
    Attached Files

MY goodness those are pretty boats.
    Nice Score :GoodJob:
    Ron
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
    1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

The New 20' Skagit

It was good seeing you Steve, glad you took the time to say hello.

Yes, this is my new baby.

After owning many, many boats over the years I've now come full circle and returned to my 1st love, my 20 foot Skagit. The first time it was a 1957 20' Express, this time it's a 1958 20' Express.

It was last owned by a gentleman by the name Jerry Smith of Burlington, WA. Now in is 80's he was formerly the parts manager for Skagit Plastics. He remembers this particular boat coming out of the factory because it was apparently the first and only one manufactured with the red on gray color scheme.

I had put the word out several months ago that if anyone ever came across a really nice Skagit in original gelcoat I would certainly be interested in it. Bill Roberts made a few inquiries and tracked this beauty down for me. It was not for sale, but Jerry was contemplating putting it up for sale when Bill called him. His reluctance to sell it wasn't because he wasn't sure he was done using it (his health would not allow that anymore), it was because he wanted it to go to someone who would really appreciate what this boat is.

It's 97% original, including original gelcoat, and has all the factory options including the hardtop. I told him the sad story about my former 1957 20' Skagit "3Ds", and told him I would take real good care of his '58 if he would sell her to me. He agreed that I was the right person to own her.

This particular boat has been very well cared for, and has no visible areas where water has leaked into it. The hull mold is the same identical to Bruce Bridwell's "Willa B." and appears to be the inboard hull with no keel for the aft 5 feet on the bottom. This makes for a graceful cornering characteristic. The forward 2/3 of the keel sets the corner, while the aft 1/3 allows a skid and banking style turn. The transom is solid, the bilges clean and dry, and the windshield is original glass.

The little 3 cylinder 70 hp Johnson 2-stroke pushes her right along, planing at 14-15 and topping out at 29 (GPS). I added the 9.9 Johnson 4-stroke kicker as a backup while cruising in the San Juan Islands last week with Aussie Jim. It pushed her right along, fast enough to hold my own against all but the fastest currents.

I've only had her in my possession for about three weeks, but have already completely rewired her. My plan is to keep and restore her. Her name is "Ma Cherie".

Doug G.
      Attached Files

Comment

getting back on the (Skagit) horse...

Nice find Doug, looks great on the water-as well as sitting on the low-rider trailer waiting for more action. Glad, "Ma Cherie" will see a lot of water time under your care.

Comment

Doug's New Skagit 20

I too was admiring Doug's Skagit 20. I would have spent more time looking it over had we not had the altercation with my moorage neighbor. Really good looking boat in original gelcoat to boot. Hardtop. Jerry Smith's former boat. Wow! How cool is that!

Really good to see all the Griffiths. Quite an assemblage you brought along. Also great to see Aussie Jim and Barbara. Real treat to see them again.

To be honest, I crashed that evening.....totally worn out....the stress and anxiety of getting the Saratogan completed and in the water has taken a toll on me. Most nights I can't sleep...I am sooo burned out on that project! The altercation with my moorage neighbor didn't help either.

Went down to the port on 8/3 to talk to my neighbor. He was very beligerent, jumped off his boat onto the float six inches from me....threatening to punch me out. Guy is a real jerk! Don't feel very good about mooring the Saratogan next to him! May go to the port management...Will see!?

Thanks Doug for making the trek over to San Juan and bringing your family and Aussie Jim and Barbara and also Graham. Really great to see you all! Sorry about the moorage issue! Hope there was no damage to your hull from the move!

One more picture added of my three weeks hull prep and paint effort.
          Tim
          Attached Files
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Cant think of a better person to own this great boat.

Doug, Was it your boat that got trashed a couple years ago? If so, Im glad you got another beauty. John
            Attached Files

Comment

Skagit 20's....

Doug -

What a great find, since it's so rare to find nearly-100%-original boats from the 1950's, regardless of builder. The '58 hardtop is a great model--I never should have sold mine.

(Like you, perhaps, I feel I've come full circle lately. After owning quite a few Skagits, Bell Boys and myriad other boats, I've decided that my long-term classic-glass cruiser will be the 1955 20' Skagit Chinook I've owned for several years but have never had time to restore. The boat will finally get an engine during the coming off-season and I'll start enjoying the boat next summer--hopefully alongside your beautiful '58 at some point!)

Anyhow, beautiful boat, Doug. Nice to see you with a Skagit 20 again...especially after the sorrowful episode with 3D's.

- Marty
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Yes John, I'm the one...

John,

I am the one who had my wonderful blue & white 1957 20' Skagit stolen from my driveway several years ago, the Yamaha F100, controls, instruments and steering extracted by the thief, and the interior trashed in the process. It was heartwrenching, and it took me quite a while to get over it.

You know many people from the boating community reached out to me at that time, offering money and labor to help get me back on the water. People like Bill Roberts, Tim Mattson, Bruce Bridwell, Kelly & Sandi Woods and many, many others. I was humbled by the generousity of the classic boating community including people I had never even met. So, there was actually a silver lining to that very dark cloud.

In spite of all the offered help at that time I knew I didn't have it in me to restore her a second time. I ended up selling her to a lucky couple (Mike & Marilyn) who live near Vancouver, WA on the Columbia River. They had the means and more importantly the heart to repair and even enhance her. She is alive and well. Mechanically and electronically sophisticated, and more beautiful than ever.

It was Bill Roberts who pulled me out of my depression by getting me psyched up about Power Cats. Tim Mattson joined in the effort by offering to help replace the soft transom and floor for me, and I re-entered the boating community.

I was most fortunate this time around to have Bill watching out for me again (and I didn't even know it). He and Bruce Bridwell went up to Burlington to preview the boat for me and talk to Jerry, rendering opinions and recommendations. They absolutely opened the door for me. All I had to do was walk through. If it wasn't for those two guys I'm sure I would still only be dreaming of Skagits. Clint took the time to go with me when I went up to talk to Jerry the first time and purchase the boat, and several Skagits and owners joined me on BIG Lake the first time I sea trialed her.

When Aussie Jim & Barbara Knowels came to the Pacific Northwest with his buddy Graham last week (the man who restored the ultra-spectacular Skagit "Barbara J.") he wanted very much to visit Tim Jones on San Juan Island and see his progress on the big Skagit. Tim made the effort to pick us up at the dock and deliver us back to the boats. In spite of the hassels from his dock neighbor Jim & Barbara had a great time.

Instead of bringing my Skagit home last weekend after the cruise I left it in La Conner with Clint since he is hosting the annual La Conner Car & Boat Show on August 14th. That has always been a big event for Skagit owners as La Conner was the home of Skagit Plastics. Whether you own a Skagit or not we've always had a good turnout from other cool classic fiberglass and wood boat owners (Pacific Mariner, Dorsett, Belboy, Power Cat, Glaspar, Reinell, Uniflite, you name it). I know the economy has made it difficult for people to attend various events, but I hope as many as can will make this one?

Anyway, I've got a second chance at owning a very cool Skagit, and because of how she came to me she is all the more special. Although very unique (she's the only red & gray one known) she will not be a trailer queen. I plan to spend a lot of time on the water (especially saltwater).

Skagitman

Comment

I feel better

Doug, It just sickened me everytime I thought of those pictures of the damage. Its nice to know all is well with 3D. I can tell your excited about your new boat. Its nice to move on. John

Comment

You have an awesome community here. It's much the same in the Goldenstate Glassics group. When I nearly sunk my Seafair on July 5th, the outpouring of well wishes was humbling. Even the weekender fishing fleet on the radio was pulling for us. Classic boat enthusiasts tend to be very cool people.....we're maybe a little anal...but cool all the same. Who'd a thought? :cool1:

Ron
                    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
                    1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

Working...
                    X