stepping back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stepping back

Due to motor problems and other issues I am going to take a break from boating for a while. I can't deal with all the problems with old boats and motors anymore. Maybe sometime in the future I can get back into boating again. I have my Merc 650 and my Mark-55 and all my merc. parts on craig's list. I will never own another Merc. outboard again. I found out today that the older motors don't have a stainless steel driveshaft so they rust and pit and cause the seals to leak. will keep in touch from time to time to see how things are going.
    Dennis

outboard haters anonymous...

Sorry to hear of your mechanical issues Dennis, I am sure most of the guys on here have been in similar straits at some point-and have been equally frustrated with the gremlins lurking around the launch. My own short lived experience with multiple old(read:used-up) Evinrudes yielded a similar outlook of contempt for these little "time bandits".

Luckily, our long term memory seems to focus on the rare times that everything went as planned...you'll be back for more!Screwy1anger::Raining::Bigdriving1:

Comment

We hope you'll still show up at some get togethers. As I'm finding out, you don't need to have a running boat to enjoy yourselves. Don't disappear.
      1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

There is a cure for those pitted shafts.
        http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDu...ediSleeve.aspx
        Dick Johnson
        1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Hey Dennis, I know how you feel as I have at least three possible runners that well, keep me running all the time. I agree with the older motors as they can be a hand full. Seems like its always something...
          Hope you don't wonder too far and will show up at some of the events when you can.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Dennis, I sort of know how you feel. I have had minimal problems but everytime I do, I get negetive about boating. It seems like the older I get the the harder it is too deal with any problem. Sometimes I really have to push myself to go through everything it takes to go out on the boat like hooking it up to the truck, gasing it up and launching. I am seriously thinking of staying off the water next season and making some changes on my boat that I have been thinking about for a long time. Stay in touch and remember you don't not need a boat to go out with us.
            Greg James

Comment

Dennis, I understand your frustration. The reason I like the old stuff is the simplicity. Not a bunch of mysterious and expensive black boxes to try and troubleshoot. I actually understand how it all works, (up to about 1965!). Sure parts are hard to find, thats why I like to have a similar parts motor on hand. Most service parts are still available if you search the web hard enough. Paying a profesional to work on this 50+ year old junk is just not cost effective. I hope you can find an economical engine that will be trouble free. I don't think anyone would hold it against anyone that put a late model engine on a classic. My opinon is, if it gets you out on the water, who cares? I hope to see you guys out there, powered by whatever works!:GoTeam1:
              Gordon
              Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Originally posted by halffast32, post: 12523
                I don't think anyone would hold it against anyone that put a late model engine on a classic. My opinon is, if it gets you out on the water, who cares? I hope to see you guys out there, powered by whatever works!:GoTeam1:
                Gordon
                I put a 2010 ETEC 90 on a 67 Seafair Sedan. If you ask me it's a perfect match.

Ron
                1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
                1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

I agree a newer motor is the way to go. Sell all your boat stuff and maybe just keep one and use the funds raised to get a (good) 50hp motor. I understand your delemma, Mike
                  >>>Mike<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 12519
                    There is a cure for those pitted shafts.
                    http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDu...ediSleeve.aspx
                    Yep I agree ! I've used them and they are worth their weight in Gold. (But of course they don't weigh much.) :cool1:

Comment

Dennis,
                      Pretty sure it can always be worse....being a Fisherman I`m also supersticious and such.
                      Having started the year about as low as one can get in a Boat,say 18 Feet down,I`ve had my doubts about continuing Boating myself.
                      Then I did the Slough Run after some serious pestering and picture giving which brought me back to the passion.
                      Sometimes a picture in your mind is needed to remind you of the good times.

Being in catch-up mode after a trailer Blow-out, Sinking at dock,re-viving two wet motors,a soggy hull and broken interior,I`ve not even had time to wet a Fishing line this year......
                      Used to be out there Jan 1 whether snowing ,Icing or even sunny.This year my hull was used Jan 2 nd (to catch crayfish unfortunately,trouble was I forgot to bait the boat).
                      I agree on the older motors and I stick to not-so-old but semi -modern motors that have common parts and features to make life easier,like Power trim and tilt,Electric start,and no hidden points under flywheels.
                      Save that stuff up for Gordon but realize you can still salvage a season even if you go hitch a ride ( shut up Greg Lamb......yours will come someday,and ON TOP of the water..... )
                      Bought my Fishing license yesterday at the latest time in 30 + years.
                      Hoping I have some dumb luck still swimming out there.
                      Every Dog does have his day,just don`t forgt to go enjoy,even if just in memories.Time to go make some more!:fishing:
                      Tim M
                      aka Capt Nemo
                      Attached Files
                      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                      SeaRay 175BR
                      Hi-Laker lapline
                      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                      X