Title for boats ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title for boats ?

Does anyone know the best way to get a title for a boat that doesn't have one? I often see boats that I may be interested in but often there is no title. Any info would be great. I am in Oregon if that changes anything. Thanks Don
    Don

I know nothing about Oregon titles but I bought a never titled boat in Oregon and brought it to Washington. Went to the County licensing department and told them the story of the boat. They issued me a registration and said after being registered in my name for 3 years, they could issue me a title. I held it three years and, for $20, got it titled. No problemo.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

You will have to check with Oregon again to make sure but, I was able to get one.

I found the letters on the boat to tell who the last registered owner was.
      I had to send a Registered letter to them telling them I was looking for a title for it.
      IF, they Refused the registered letter, I was to add $60 bucks and the registered letter into a larger envelope and mail it to Salem.
      IF, they Accepted the registered letter and did not respond within 30 days, I was to take the Receipt of the registered letter and add $60 bucks, put that into a letter and mail it to Salem..

I found that the fellow I sent the registered letter too was not there to accept the letter so I was able to send the returned letter and $60 to Salem for a title.....
      Found out later, the fellow was in Prison, different mailing address. Oh well.
      Got the title but had to take the boat for a free Inspection to make sure it was a floater.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Oh, oh, in Oregon a boat has to float to get a title?
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 12563
          Oh, oh, in Oregon a boat has to float to get a title?
          I think that might be because of the rivers. If its a floater and no one wants it, they just keep pushing it off and it ends up in the ocean and someone else's problem :BigHappy1:

Its a safety check and for what reason, I have no clue.
          The guy that looked at my boat knew it was not a runner.
          Walked around it, Once, signed the inspection paper and that was it.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Don, what Helmar said is what I'm going through now.

For Washington, I had to fax a "Vehicle/Vessel Information Disclosure Request" to their licensing department to get the name and address of the last titled owner. That was on a friday and they replied back in e-mail monday with the info.

Then like Helmar said, sent the certified mail with return reciept to the guy in Vancouver. Depending on what comes back in the mail, I'll send that to Salem to hopefully get the title.

Then I can take the title to a boat dealer and they issue registration and stickers.

Then I can finally get back on the water after nearly 30 years. Till then, I'm a'ground!

FAQ's for OSMB are at : http://www.boatoregon.com/OSMB/BoatReg/FAQs.shtml
            '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Oregon is the EASIEST....once you know how to bypass all the hoops, especially our vintage boats pre 1972 without HIN numbers

fill out the forms provided below....take the boat to your local sheriffs dept for a free hull inspection usually sunday mornings, call to find out times for an inspection..be CERTAIN you have some sort of bill of sale! & the more printed info on the make model etc print out old ads etc the better..(tip....if your boat has NO HIN numbers, things go much faster if you simply scrape off any registration tags that the sheriffs dept can attempt a trace to the previous registered owners & just claim ignorance).nothing to trace you get signed off on the spot, once the boat is signed off by the sheriffs, mail the paperwork and payment to the marine board....thats it

If the Sherriffs choose to contact the previous registered owner,( I once had this happen as there was tickets on the hulls registered tags when the sheriff ran the tags) while you wait for them to verify the boats history etc, if your in a hurry to use the boat,send your filled out forms and payment to the Oregon marine board, then email the marine board a few days after you mail the paperwork (give them enough time to receive the check) request a temporary registration in PDF format by email...They will reply that you need a sherriffs inspection before a title can be issued but they will send the temp registration..print it out sign it and your good to go

the sherriffs have laughed & shown interest in some of the hulls I brought in for inspection, at least here in Oregon they realize there are old boats EVERYWHERE too old, too beatup to expect titles to still be with the boats ...I mean really it should be easy in all the states to re title the vintage boats, they are usually considered junkers by most anyways
              the only boat the sherriffs didnt want me to have registered & tagged was my Formula 1 lite Hoffman, they did admit it was only because they couldnt catch me, but its registered ;0)

edit: I also should add that 4-5 of the boats I titled and tagged were even from out of state! Oregon is pretty cool about this
              & if buying a hull from Washington and you know or can can trace the previous registered owner you can have them to get a signed Certificate "In lieu of Title" from the DMV , this is also accepted by the Oregon marine board instead of waiting for the Washington dmv to issue a lost title to be then sent to you
              Attached Files

Comment

form 2
                Attached Files

Comment

Title

Wow lots of great info. Thanks for the help I will check into it. Don
                  Don

Comment

I read an interesting article the other day. Washington State and some others, trying to go after deadbeats not paying child support or owing the state from over payment of benefits, or a mechanical lein put on by a contractor or repair shop. They research the data base looking for these deadbeat people for anything that has a title; cars, boats, planes, etc, and place leins on them.. Not necessarially notifying the owner, or maybe trying to notify the owner but he moved and has another address.. SO there is a possibility that a person could have title in hand, a legatimate document at the time it was issued, you get a boat at a bargain price, pay him the cash, take the title in to change it, and find out there is a lein on the boat for thousands of dollars.. So you call him and the phone has been disconnected so you go where he lives (ed) and is gone.. I've only heard of one time that happend, but it is always out there... Not to scare anyone off from persuing a boat, just for information so a more informative decision can be made.. The best way if you are presented a title, both go at that time to the DMV or Marine board wherever you are and check it out and transfer in person.. All done..
                    I did know a guy that got a non titled boat, spent thousands on it, ready to go into the water, then did the title, to find out it was stolen... So I always make sure the paperwork is in order before starting to spend money on the project.. Don't try and save a buck or two at the start, only to cost you more later..

Comment

Working...
                    X