No announcement yet.

Seafair Gets Repaired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layup went extremely well. We took the advice of Sven and it really made a difference. First we put down a layer of the 17 oz biaxial weave bonded to chop strand mat over the the bow patches just to get our glassing skills going again.

Next we masked off the transom and cut out the patterns using visqueen, then transferred it to the cloth(s) cut them out and layed them up.

First we laid down some strips of roving on the edges

1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
    1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

Then we laid down the 17 oz biaxial keeping it all in one piece as much as possible for structural integrity.

Next, on the advice of Sven we tore up pieces of the 3/4 oz chopped strand and laid that on top of the 17 oz. It really smooths everything out and makes it look nice. Great technique I will use from now on.

1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

Next we covered all of that with 3.7 oz tight weave roving, and then 2 layers of rolled on resin. We that cure for 2 days...Almost there.

Ron

Comment

The broken bow is done and ready for paint.

Before

After

We sanded the glass job and got it ready for some fairing using resin and West 407...the red stuff.

Ron

Comment

Ready for Paint

Bill decided he wanted to do the fairing work so I let him. Great job! If the weather holds then we'll paint this weekend. 3 or 4 more days of work and we are ready for a dunk. I can't wait.

Her new name is "Old Leopard Hips"

I have to say that I am pretty proud of the glass work we did back there. Considering it was probably the hardest most complex part of the boat to glass with all the different planes (up to 8 different) and all of the edges, interior and exterior corners. We really got a chance to work on all of the techniques..pretty cool. I am very confident in the integrity and quality of our work now. We know how to work with epoxy anyway...need to learn the ins and outs of vinyl-ester next.

Ron

Comment

Before

After

Before

After

Ron

Comment

Kilshannig is done. We are giving her a dunk this morning in the Bay to make sure she floats and that the ETEC still runs. I am so excited I have been up since 4 am. As soon as it's light I'll put our new stainless 13 pitch prop on. It came in the day after the boat incident. Then off for a 3 hour tour. Wish me luck. If I don't post a youtube of the run send out the Coast Gaurd.....I'm swimming.

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement you guys gave me when I was ready to send her to the scrap heap. I am glad we decided to fix her.....I think.

Ron

Comment

That sure took some work to make it happen but I but it sure feels good now

It also makes a real head turner out of her too...
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                    X