No announcement yet.

Simple sonar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yah Tim, that is cool. Don't think I'll spend $200 for a depth sounder just so I don't have to drag a crab pot behind my boat until it hits bottom. After all, so far this summer, I've only gone crabbing a couple of times.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Lunchbox /Sounder to go!

Jerry,
      My uncle used to rent boats and I used a smaller lunch cooler that housed a Motorcycle battery and had a Fishfinder bracket on the handle.
      I simply put the T-ducer at one end of the cooler so it layed flat on the bottom of the boat and presto,it worked.
      I first copied the Transom clamp unit but it lost a fish or two before getting put away.
      The T-ducer eeded a little water to make it work good but you could first test it out ,then epoxy it in place to make it easier,just plug the ducer in when adding the portable sounder cooler unit.
      Don`t put your sandwhich in there as it may taste funny after awhile next to an acid filled battery.

TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Portable is best

That Is really the best way to do it. I have a portable stereo and heater. Making the depth finder portable makes it easier to keep one of each maintained and move them to the boat of choice for the day. Technology changes so fast its hard to have the latest gadget on 2 or 3 different boats and thats a low number for some of you Guys and Gals. John

Comment

I've used a Norcross Marine Hawkeye handheld sonar PX for about ten years. It's a self contained handheld unit and accurate to 200'. I have had two of them quit on me (out of warranty), but for $40 they sent me a new one each time. List price is $100. It's simple to use. Just stick it in the water and push the button and you have a reading. It can even shoot through a hull if there's some water in it.
          Attached Files

Comment

I was looking at them online. Seems to me they were priced at $140. Does it hold the number for a bit after you take it out of the water? Or do I need to soak my face to see the depth? I'm so nearsighted that I need to be able to read the numbers up close.

Comment

Small depth sounder

I found my dad's sounder. It's an Eagle Ultra Classic. LCD screen. He had it set up with battery clips that hooked to his electric trolling motor battery. There is an optional battery clip that takes "D" cells. All fits into the plastic carrying case. Small and reliable, they seem to have a good reputation...

Decided I don't want to sell it right now, but I found one on eBay at an opening bid of $9 + $10 shipping.

McSkagit
              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Thanks Tim. I'll see if I can find it on eBay.
                Jerry

Comment

Hawkeye

They do hold their display for a while and the numbers are fairly large. You can buy them new at http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/products/main.htm for $100, or factory recertified for $70.

Comment

We crab in the Marathon all the time and no issues. Granted, the finish is the original gel coat, so it may be a little more durable than paint, but we are always banging the pots on the gunls and the rubber coating on the pots seems to be sufficient to protect things. The wife did bust off a canvas twist mount rivet, but I just popped a new on in and it was as if it never happened.
                    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                    Past Affairs:
                    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

You what?!! Crab on the Marathon? Say it isn't so!! Okay, obviously you do it differently than I crab. I pull in a pot which is dripping with mud and muck and seaweed and sunburst starfish pouring out water. When I crab it is just plain ugly and I'd not only scratch up paint but would soak the carpet with bad juju. Rosario just never did anything to deserve that kind of treatment!

Comment

Working...
                      X