The Happiest Day part II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Happiest Day part II

So as all of you were at Mason, not too far away I was hitching up my newer ride. She is a 24', V8 powered Behemouth.
    It is a Tollycraft designed hull, built by Beachcraft, with a smaller sportfisher cabin instead of the express of the Royal Express.
    A couple of you Homlite owners passed me by on your way home today, the mighty Vortec V6 huffing up the hill out of Fife.
    Pic's later.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Big 'un

Hey Chuck, I was one of those guys! (Red Chev pu and red and white BB) I told my brother in law who was with me.... Now there rolls a project! Good luck with her. - Ross
    Ross Henson

Comment

Only needs interior beautification, and maybe a V8 tow rig...
      "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Echo, Where's the pictures ? I stop by Dougs last night and just missed you by a hour. Also pasted Kent and Diane by Federal way. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Pic's maybe...
          Attached Files

Comment

Chuck, I may have been the other Homelite that passed you, I went through there about 7:00 or so. I don't remember seeing your boat though, so it may have been someone else. We actually had five Homelites at Mason!

Tim

Comment

Great ride!!

Now that's a boat worthy of crossing the bar and fishing for chinook out of Winchester Bay!! What a beauty. Looks like she would handle Juan de Fuca with ease. Great score. Mike on the Oregon coast.

Comment

After tackling the straits of Rosario many times, and Deception passwith the wind and against the tide in the very capable 19' Sabrecraft, yeah i wanted a bigger boat. San Juan's here we come again...
                chuckB

Comment

MAN ! THAT IS A BIG MOTHER! See you in the San Juans next year. Echo

Comment

Chuck, I'll do the San Juan trip next year if I can be your dingy!
                    Kent & Diane
                    '58 Westerner

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB, post: 13808
                      So as all of you were at Mason, not too far away I was hitching up my newer ride. She is a 24', V8 powered Behemouth.
                      It is a Tollycraft designed hull, built by Beachcraft, with a smaller sportfisher cabin instead of the express of the Royal Express.
                      A couple of you Homlite owners passed me by on your way home today, the mighty Vortec V6 huffing up the hill out of Fife.
                      Pic's later.
                      ChuckB
                      Now there you go. I too added one of the big ones for the San Juans and just crummy weather boating. I like it Chuck.

[ATTACH]7556.vB[/ATTACH]
                      Attached Files
                      John & Diane Kelly

Comment

John, I might be able to keep up with you playing "Deadliest Catch".
                        ChuckB

Comment

That 351 Should Do The Trick

You know I've now owned two Tollycraft 24' Express Royals and one Beachcraft 24' Sport Fisher now. The Tollys had a 150 hp V-6 and a 200 hp V-8, all OMC. The V-6 was clearly underpowered. The 305 did a good job of keeping her on plane and then some.

Chuck's Beachcraft had it's adequately powered 188 hp V-8 replaced with a nice 351 V-8. So as not to overpower the O/D and to get better fuel economy they had a two-barrel carb installed. It's still rated at 230 hp and runs like a champ.

A lot of people don't like the OMCs, but I've never had any problems with them, and they are cheap on the resale market. Biggest problem I've seen is people trying to trim their boat with them. That's a big No-No!

OMCs are made to operate with the trip all the way down, otherwise you'll ruin the knuckle gear. A couple of features I really like about the OMCs are it will raise and lower real fast, and when in the up position it is actually higher than the keel of the boat, so you can beach them.

I think you are really going to enjoy this boat Chuck. With it's wide gunnels and bow flair and low cabin height (sail) you will always feel like you're under control. And if you ever do have to run from the weather, you've got the power to do it.

Of course her beauty is undeniable. One of the prettiest small boats Ed Monk ever designed in my opinion. I wish you many, many years of wonderful cruising Chuck.
                          Attached Files

Comment

24 ft Fiberform

I too have one of those San Juan type boats.
                            Mine is a 1976 with the ford 302 and OMC outdrive.
                            My plan was to fix one boat, sell it, fix another boat, sell it and then buy one of those rebuilt 6 year warranty engines for it.
                            The motor on this one was rebuilt but then the deck drain holes plugged up, water collected, dropped down on the top of the motor, rusted the valve cover and, well, water made it in the motor....TOAST...
                            Attached Files
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Chuck, After looking at the picture of your boat, i think you had better measure ( ground to the hardtop and how wide) it to see if it will fit into the shelter.Echo
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X