The Happiest Day part II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it too.

Nice boat, I like the upturned bow. Does it need much work to get her ready for the summer season? Save your spare change, it might use a lot of gas.

With all the talk of needing a big boat for the San Juans, I'm thinking---- is this the same place that I took my Mariner that is 17 feet long but only 2 feet wide? Made it to Sicia Island about 15 times in that boat and I only needed to call the Coast Guard once, and that was for another kayaker that disappeared into the whitecaps and spray. In case you may wonder about that missing kayaker--- the Coast Guard Landed their helicopter on a beach that had a kayak on it and went to the house and there he was sitting next to a warm fireplace waiting for the wind to die down sipping tea. That was 25 fears ago. ops maybe it was years.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Glasply 23

I like the looks of your 23 Glasply. I owned a highly modified GP23 for 17 years and used it for commercial towing. Had a 200 HP Volvo diesel I/O.

I would rate the 23 Glasply as the best production family boat of all time! I had mine out in the worst weather and sea conditions Juan De Fuca has to offer...day and night and I'm still here. Great boats by any measure!

Tim

Originally posted by Marvelous, post: 13872
      Now there you go. I too added one of the big ones for the San Juans and just crummy weather boating. I like it Chuck.

[ATTACH]7556[/ATTACH]
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 14097
        I like the looks of your 23 Glasply. I owned a highly modified GP23 for 17 years and used it for commercial towing. Had a 200 HP Volvo diesel I/O.

I would rate the 23 Glasply as the best production family boat of all time! I had mine out in the worst weather and sea conditions Juan De Fuca has to offer...day and night and I'm still here. Great boats by any measure!

Tim
        Well Tim it is no Saratoga thats for sure but a fun little boat. Has a Fuel Injected 300hp 350ci which is nice but boy a diesel would really be the ticket.
        Any pictures of your old 23' in some nasty weather as that would prove to my wife it is a safe boat.
        Thanks and look forward to seeing your yacht out and about.
        John & Diane Kelly

Comment

I'll move some pics over from another computer. Might take a day or two. Here's a couple pics of the old girl. After 17 years of commercial work, the Glasply was still tight, no racking of the superstructure. With that 1200 pound engine sitting in the stern, she sat about 4 inches lower in the water than a comparable gas V-8 powered 23. Hated to part with her!
          Tim

Originally posted by Marvelous, post: 14154
          Well Tim it is no Saratoga thats for sure but a fun little boat. Has a Fuel Injected 300hp 350ci which is nice but boy a diesel would really be the ticket.
          Any pictures of your old 23' in some nasty weather as that would prove to my wife it is a safe boat.
          Thanks and look forward to seeing your yacht out and about.
          Attached Files

Comment

23 Glasply at work in heavy weather

Here are a few pics shot from my 23 Glasply tow boat in heavy weather. March 2003, towing a 35 foot sailboat in from Juan De Fuca. 12-14 foot following seas! Other pics from an October 1997 tow from Campbell River, BC to Anacortes. 160 nautial miles one way. 14 hours of 4-6 foot head seas. Glasply didn't take on any water on the Campbell River tow. 37 foot trawler in tow from Campbell River had 7 feet of freeboard at the bow! Burried her bow up to the cap rail many times.

Did ship one wave over the stern on the Juan De Fuca tow. One big wave pitched the Glasply bow down so steep, the engine lost oil pressure. Scary!! Had to change my underwear after the Juan De Fuca tow! A first! Glasply 23, excellent boats!

Last picture, Ken Hopen, CEO, President of Glasply along side my tricked-out 23 Glasply at the 1996 Glasply Rendezvous, Oak Harbor.
            Attached Files

Comment

Funny how those pics ended up under the title of "The Happiest Day". Guess the happiest day was when those boats were safe in port and you and your tow boar were likewise. Pray to God I never am on anything smaller than the 99 foot long Lummi Island ferry is seas like those!
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 14254
                Here are a few pics shot from my 23 Glasply tow boat in heavy weather. March 2003, towing a 35 foot sailboat in from Juan De Fuca. 12-14 foot following seas! Other pics from an October 1997 tow from Campbell River, BC to Anacortes. 160 nautial miles one way. 14 hours of 4-6 foot head seas. Glasply didn't take on any water on the Campbell River tow. 37 foot trawler in tow from Campbell River had 7 feet of freeboard at the bow! Burried her bow up to the cap rail many times.

Did ship one wave over the stern on the Juan De Fuca tow. One big wave pitched the Glasply bow down so steep, the engine lost oil pressure. Scary!! Had to change my underwear after the Juan De Fuca tow! A first! Glasply 23, excellent boats!

Last picture, Ken Hopen, CEO, President of Glasply along side my tricked-out 23 Glasply at the 1996 Glasply Rendezvous, Oak Harbor.
                WOW! Awesome pictures and stories. Did you install the Volvo Diesel? What other improvements did you do to be so stout? That sure would be the ticket for a sturdy, safe , fun boat. I will remember these as i leasurly putt around Commencement Bay.
                John & Diane Kelly

Comment

1979 Glasply 23 Diesel I/O

The 79 Glasply 23 came from the factory with a Volvo Penta AQD40 diesel I/O. 130 HP was a bit underpowered. Had the Alaska glass sliding door bulkhead, three fuel tanks totaling 112 gallons, hydraulic steering with aft station. Actually the wheel and helm pump were on the side of the cockpit.

I made a complete helm assembly with engine controls...really made the boat. Also added a Johnson Duramax heavy duty rubber rub rail, radar arch and also added a Vetus bow thruster. Large teak swim step from a boat I salvaged.

In 1996, bought a new Volvo Penta TAMD41 200 HP turbo diesel. That engine really made the boat. Top speed recorded was 31.5 knots (36 MPH). Pretty fast for a diesel. Boat had about a 300 mile range, so I could work all day and not have to refuel.

Ran a Duoprop for some years. That plus the bow thruster and I could spin the boat in its own length. Towing on the hip (along side) I could dock most boats in tight slips better than the owner under his own power. Now I'm bragging.

Fabulous boat...the Glasply 23. Can't say enough good things about it...

McSkagit

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 14262
                    The 79 Glasply 23 came from the factory with a Volvo Penta AQD40 diesel I/O. 130 HP was a bit underpowered. Had the Alaska glass sliding door bulkhead, three fuel tanks totaling 112 gallons, hydraulic steering with aft station. Actually the wheel and helm pump were on the side of the cockpit.

I made a complete helm assembly with engine controls...really made the boat. Also added a Johnson Duramax heavy duty rubber rub rail, radar arch and also added a Vetus bow thruster. Large teak swim step from a boat I salvaged.

In 1996, bought a new Volvo Penta TAMD41 200 HP turbo diesel. That engine really made the boat. Top speed recorded was 31.5 knots (36 MPH). Pretty fast for a diesel. Boat had about a 300 mile range, so I could work all day and not have to refuel.

Ran a Duoprop for some years. That plus the bow thruster and I could spin the boat in its own length. Towing on the hip (along side) I could dock most boats in tight slips better than the owner under his own power. Now I'm bragging.

Fabulous boat...the Glasply 23. Can't say enough good things about it...

McSkagit
                    Now that was quite a boat. I figured it came diesel powered as the costs would be $$$$$$ to convert. Where is it now? Is it still working?
                    Well now you have the Rolls Royce of boating and can just putt around and smile. I really appreciate you explaining your GP.
                    John & Diane Kelly

Comment

I know this post is 2 years old, but McSkagit Tim Jones, I would love to see more pictures of your old GlasPly if you have anymore. Especially rough water pics, those were really cool.
                      PS, I've seen your boat in Friday Harbor

Logan.

Comment

Working...
                      X