Trailer arrived! It's Big!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer arrived! It's Big!

The trailer I'm borrowing for the Saratogan launch is at the shop. One of the things I forget is that on a long trailer, hitch height becomes very important. I checked out the brakes today. Everything works!

Getting the Saratogan onto the trailer is going to take some grunt work! I've got two helpers that have volunteered. Taking everything off the boat that isn't nailed down...to lighten the load. Thinking twice about towing it with my 1500 Silverado!??

Launch at 1300 on Oct. 4 at Jensen's Shipyard, Friday Harbor. Hope everything come off without a glitch.:donttouch:

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

The big lift?

Tim,

I take it this will take much blocking and jacking?

Been there. Thank god for 50 gal oil drums?

Best of luck, see you sunday.

Steve

Comment

Nows when you need my boat wench that I made only a little bigger.
      Mike aka pathfinderz1
      Attached Files
      Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Tim:
        My mighty Vortec 4.3 V6 with its 215 HP towed the 24' Tolly/Beach even up the hills of I-5 from Gig Harbor to Lynnwood. I think your 5.7/350 will be fine for the short haul down to the water. Now up the pass...
        Good Luck! ChuckB
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Loading the Saratogan on trailer

Steve and Mike and Chuck,
          Thanks for the input.

I'm going to lift the boat with the help of 8 jack stands.
          Roll the rolling cradle out from under the boat and roll the trailer under. Sounds easy, but actually requires a lot of jack stand moving. The boat is weighing in at about 5 tons. Also the ground isn't level, so I can't hook the trailer to the truck to push the trailer under the boat as the tongue is 4 feet in the air! Will pull the trailer in with an electric winch.

I put together a Rub Goldberg electric brake controller today and tested it. It's basicly just a big potentiometer. Used it before on a two axle travel trailer.

The road to the shipyard is mostly down hill, so good brakes and 500-800 pounds tongue weight and should be okay. Will have a vehicle ahead and behind with 4-way flashers as the Saratogan is over width.

Getting close. Going to put my baby out in the weather!

I'll post some pics when I get the old girl loaded on the trailer..then I'll get loaded! Wish me luck!

McSkagit

Comment

31 on the trailer.....

10/2 Skagit 31 Saratogan on the trailer. Took 4 hours and two winches. Perfect trailer for the boat! Not quite enough tongue weight. Will adjust tomorrow. Then pull the boat out of the shop and test run the new/old engines.

More tomorrow. I'm bushed!

Tim

Comment

Congrats. Hoping for pics of tomorrow's launch. Wish I could be there for this momentous event!
              Jerry
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

What, no pictures to share?

Glad your getting her closer and closer to the water.
                I bet its a Great feeling after all these years of work, sweat, money and tears.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Long Time Coming.....Today is the day!

Today is the big day! Been working 12 hours a day on the Skagit 31. Put in 14 hours yesterday! :shocked3: Sorry no pics to share...will have some this evening.

Cool and clear here this AM. Got both cockpit heaters working yesterday...looks like I'll need them!

Hope this comes of without a hitch. Speaking of hitches, decided not to try to tow the Saratogan with my Silverado. THis decision after looking at the hitch on the truck.

Today has been a long time coming! Time to break out my teal jacket....that my sister gave me back in the "Teal" days!

Stay tuned.

Tim

Comment

Congratulations!

Tim,

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that wishes they could have been on hand for the launch of the Saratogan and to help you celebrate the completion of such an awesome project!

After her shakedown cruise, we need to organize a celebratory cruise so we can start her new life off right, with a little pomp and ceremony and lots of photo ops!

Best wishes for a smooth launch!

Tim

Comment

Bravo!

Great job Tim, hoping everything went as planned...guess you'll be putting her to work soon.

If any of you haven't seen Tim's EcoTour website, take a minute to check it out.

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com/
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X