Vintage Hydro's Invite to All GlassHeads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Hydro's Invite to All GlassHeads

I haven't been keeping up with all the "who's in charge" stuff here on the NWCBC so this is directed to who calls the shots and to those interested. The Region 10 Vintage Hydroplane Rep. Jim Olson would like to start a brain storming conversation with whoever is interested in the club joining some or all the Vintage races here in the NW. So if there is any interest someone step up and I will send you Jim's contact info. As some of you know the woody's and car clubs have been participating in events already. This year VH will have a couple stand alone events which means that it will be a more relaxed event than say the ones that are combined with the big boy's and the big hydro's! Thanks, Lon

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Sounds like fun

Lon,

I sent you an email with my contact info.

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

Thank you for the information and invite, I hope that we can get something together to see some hydros 50's style. Regardless, I'll be following the schedule to make sure I can attend.

Does the organization have a website? Perhaps we could post under "links".

Comment

This is the only place, around the place, that looks like the place; so I think it might be the place.

http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/

local events:
        Apr 24-25 Moses Lake Moses Lake, WA APBA inboard race Don Kelson 206.672.2777
        Jun 12-13 Tastin' N Racin' Issaquah, WA APBA inboard race Don Kelson 206.672.2777
        Aug 14-15 Oroville Oroville, WA APBA inboard race Don Kelson 206.672.2777
        Aug 28-29 Hydro Classic Pateros, WA APBA inboard race Don Kelson 206.672.2777
        Sep 11-12 Lake Spanaway Spanaway, WA APBA inboard race Don Kelson 206.672.2777
        Oct 2-3 Lake Chelan Lake Chelan, WA APBA vintage only Don Kelson 206.672.2777
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Don Kelson Hydros

Glad to see a name I recognixe.
          Don Kelson has built many a Hyodro over the years,and is still restoring some for the Vintage Circut.
          We used to watch their 1-5 Litre hulls race on Green Lake from their custom Motorcoach back in the 70`s.They still have some of the World records,over 90 mph avg.for the 5 miles of competition,set on the same lake.
          Anybody want to go see his shop ?.....my Dad used to do thier Bookwork so I got my foot in the door and still go drool on the old wood shovelnose hulls ,plus see the mix of newer stuff they also work on.
          Google "The Calypso Too" and see the story of the latest rescue.The shop they run is in So.Park is not far from the 1st south Bridge.
          Afternoons are better if you want to drop in and see what they got going on.......they do try to get some work in before reminiscing.....
          His kids are still carrying the Torch,Jerry and Donnie still paint and assemble the Mahogeny classics.
          I bet Don will have a soft side for our old Boats and would gladly help us get out bottoms wet during one of the days listed by Jack Dando.
          TM
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

We had a monthly ACBS meeting at his shop earlier in the year. It is not only a workshop, but a full blown museum containing almost everything vintage from boats, to peddle cars (and boats) to a full vintage gas station. A very cool place to hang out!
            BRIAN FRANCHINI
            LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I would LOVE to get involved with the vintage hydro gatherings.
              I recently snagged a cabover D or F class hydro built by Hue Entrop in 1956 and have plans to restore it as soon as I recover from my physical set-backs.
              I am currently building a Mk55H clone and hope to also build a 75H clone.
              My hydro pre-dates and is shorter than the one Hu used a Mk75H on to set a speed record with in about '57-'58.
              Mine is 11'3" and Hu used a 40H on it and C.W. 'doc' Jones ran a PR-65 Evinrude on my hull to a record setting 71 MPH back-in-the-day.
              Or so I've been told by the chap, William Robart, who purchased my hull from Hu a long time ago.
              It is actually very sound and just needs a fresh coat of paint to look real nice.
              Tim,...Please share my e-mail contact info with the right guys for me.
              Thom aka: Doc Frankenmerc
              Attached Files
              Doc Frankenmerc
              Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

You bet, Thom. Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better! :GoodJob:

Comment

For Thom

This is a little later than the picture Thom posted.Don`t have the other`s on the Harddrive but will look for the Entrop hull I know I have somewhere.This came from the Stan Davis "1968 Private Collection" he shared this past year.
                  TimM
                  ps thanx to Lon for the warm invite.....my wife will Hunt you down eventually.
                  Attached Files
                  unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                  15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                  SeaRay 175BR
                  Hi-Laker lapline
                  14` Trailorboat

Comment

Vintage hydro and classic glass all in one!
                    Attached Files

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

Working...
                    X