No new posts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No new posts?

I keep getting a report of no new posts. How can that be? Have all the members solved all their boat problems? Has Chuck C. finally sold his Merc? Is everyone too full of turkey to post? All this silence is deafening!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Hello, Out there ! Jerry, Back in from the shelter after wiring the GPS & VHF on the Skagit. A little bit on the cool side. Just about have everything done now. Even with a cover over her, she is going to need a bubble bath ( getting dirty ) and a little air in the trailer tires sometime soon. Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Now that's more like it. Chuck's working on his boat. The rest of you taking a nap? I just woke from one and now taking the dog for a walk. Chuck did so well with the Rosario that I haven't a thing to do.

Comment

Winterizing my Honda 50 today. Running some Sta-bil through the motor. Honda advises not to run the gas out of it as I was previously advised. They also say it is self draining so water in the head is not a problem fortunately. Ingvar Carlson mentioned he ran rv antifreeze through his every winter, is that what most do?
        Kent & Diane
        '58 Westerner

Comment

I put Stabil in my fuel and I run the outboard on the boat for about 10 minutes once a month throughout the winter. Never have had a problem that way. (Also, drain and replace lower unit oil in the fall.)

Comment

Kent ,
            The Honda has tiny little fuel jets( how they get economy) that don`t like the crud you usually stir up as you run an engine dry.Best to start adding the treatment the last few trips and then run a good dose for your fuel tank.You can usually taste the stuff once it hits the carbs or 10 minutes.
            Store it with fresh fluids in lower unit and the powerhead oil.
            Draining the bowls may be overkill but smaller Hondas had a petcock on the carb bowl that made it store nice and dry.
            I`d top off the tank next spring before using,the new gas just doesn`t last like before.
            Way to stir the pot Jerry!
            TM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Kent:
              When I had my Mighty Honda, I did drain the carb bowls. There is a screw on the side of each one that will take care of that. Keeps crud from building up in there even with the Stabil.
              And Tim, the tiny jets are for CARB, EPA, and other pollution control authorities. Fuel economy was just a bonus so they could give the customer something worthwhile other than being "green".
              ChuckB:boater1:
              "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Thanks guys for the info, much appreciated, can't be too safe. Looks like this winter is going to be a corker. I use my motor during the winter for Blackmouth fishing here on Whidbey so like to keep it at the ready for those rare warm, nicer days. My Honda 50 is fuel injected so no carbs but the Honda 8 kicker is carburated and the drain screw is good to know about. In the past I just ran the gas out it. Guess those jets are pretty small and can clog easily. Don't use the kicker much, the 50 trolls down very slow.
                Kent & Diane
                '58 Westerner

Comment

Working...
                X