Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for help with boat ID Sabre Craft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John, I suppose that would be a possibility, but I thought Skagit closed abruptly in 1961... it does have the Skagit style fiberglass "wrap" behind the front seats.
    Daniel DeBenedetti
    Portland Oregon
    17' Uniflite Express 1960

Comment

The ubiquitous Swoosh

Daniel,

I wouldn't get too attached to identifying it by the side swoosh, it seems that it was practically illegal to produce a boat in the late fifites to mid-sixties without one of those. Kinda like the recent mandate to include Xtreme in the name of everything ...

Funny how similar the hull of that Pacific Mariner is to my Sabrecraft.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Modern Velocity, post: 15211
        John, I suppose that would be a possibility, but I thought Skagit closed abruptly in 1961... it does have the Skagit style fiberglass "wrap" behind the front seats.
        As the story goes.
        Skagit closed its doors in 1961 and stopped production.
        They Did have boats, On the line, so to speak.
        Those boats were finished something like 5 or so years later.

I think Tim Jones knows more about this as he is, McSkagit

If I understand your question about the Wrap behind the front seats. I would have to say, yes. They made several styles of boats, Utility, Sport, Ski types to my knowledge. Which is limited to say the least.

Here is a Skagit Skimaster looking over the back, just behind the front and between the seats.
        Not sure where I got this picture but its to show the Fiberglass stringers in those Skagits (no wood stringers to go bad)
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Tim, I agree that a "swoosh" detail on this era and type of boat seems nearly mandatory, however these examples are not just conceptually similar, they are very specifically alike in the way the leading edge of the stripe drops at a a steeper angle briefly prior to tappering back into the main lower curve and the tail of the stripe kicks up and curves in the same way. I've been looking at a lot of swoosh images and only Pacific Mariner, Starline and Sabrecraft are styled this way, in what I've found so far.
          In the Starline ad, the hardware detail and lines on the top of the boat in front of the windshield seem quite similar as well, then again so does the top of the Sabrecraft pacer 15...
          I do like the idea that this is a Skagit prototype or final production line model not sold until years later...
          I have all my documents to submit for the replacement title now, and I'd like to get it right. what do you think of the possibility that it is a 1968 Skagit?
          Attached Files
          Daniel DeBenedetti
          Portland Oregon

Comment

Tim,
            just re-read your comment about the swoosh not being trimmed, click on the thumb nail and you will see that it is. am I mis-reading?
            Thanks again, I'm no expert at classic boat ID..
            Daniel DeBenedetti
            Portland Oregon

Comment

Is there such a thing as a '68 Skagit?

I'm certainly no expert either, if Marty, Tim jones or one of the other guys around here who ate their first solid food with salt spray in their hair can't identify it, I'm not going to be any help!

In these two photos you can see what I was referring to regarding the swoosh. The trim I referred to is the heavy piece at the front of the swoosh, which is unique to Sabrecraft. Also notice that the long downward sloping section of trim is actually a slight arc, not a straight line, and at the rear the trim turns sharply upward and meets the rub rail at a sharp angle rather than curving to meet it as yours does.

Tim
              Attached Files

Comment

1968?!? I was only 5!!

Is there such a thing as a '68 Skagit?
                The short answer is no, but others on this thread have pointed out that Skagit stopped production abruptly in 61' and inventory remained. it was sugested that these boats were sold some 5 plus years later..So, it is a possibility I guess. The boat was first titled in Oregon in 1982 and the OMB doesn't have record prior to that. at that time it was Registered as a 1968 Skagit. It does have the fiberglass wrap around "caps" behind the front seats like I've seen on other Skagits.. but the "swoosh" doesn't match nor the windshield. I'm all ready to submit paperwork to OMB, but would like to make sure and get the make model year acurate if possible.. ah the mystery continues...
                Thanks again for the details on the Sabre Craft Swoosh.
                Daniel DeBenedetti
                Portland Oregon

Comment

Wrap arounds..

Helmar,
                  Thanks for the shot of the "wrap around caps" on the ski master.
                  Here is a picture of what they look like on my boat.
                  I wonder what other manufactures had this feature.
                  Attached Files
                  Daniel DeBenedetti
                  Portland Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Modern Velocity, post: 15222
                    Helmar,
                    Thanks for the shot of the "wrap around caps" on the ski master.
                    Here is a picture of what they look like on my boat.
                    I wonder what other manufactures had this feature.
                    Well, she does not look like any boat I have seen.
                    Might be more eyes over at Fiberglassics that might help ID her too.

Anyway, I missed the length of her.
                    I also have a Skagit Sportster that looks like the Skimaster but only 14 foot and not 16.

The good part here is, if she is closer to a one of a kind, Great, not that many to compare with.
                    Most people in the Portland area don't know much about Skagits. Or I didn't and I am from Sandy Oregon.
                    I found my first Skagit, 20ft Express with a B-16 I/0 that was titled as a 68 when in fact, it was a 1958.
                    Its these old boats and the Puget Sound, San Juans that helped me to decide to move up here to the very north end of the Hood Canal area.

One of a kind is a pretty ok score...Keep looking, someone will recognize that ol girl.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

found a plate!

small brass plate on inside left rear of boat stamped Desert Marine Boise Idaho 3C 321

Any ideas?
                      Daniel DeBenedetti
                      Portland Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Modern Velocity, post: 15229
                        small brass plate on inside left rear of boat stamped Desert Marine Boise Idaho 3C 321

Any ideas?
                        How about, http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Oasis ?
                        Looks like it might be kind of rare.

Comment

here's a shot of a 58' oasis

well, I think I see a family resemblance..

Anyone care to wiegh in on this?
                          Attached Files
                          Daniel DeBenedetti
                          Portland Oregon

Comment

Well, the hulls certainly look similar.

Comment

Desert Marine Boise Idaho hmm...

when the rain stops and its light out again, I'll re check the measurments from the blue book page at fiberglassics. I'm thinking she's a 1958 desert marine day cruiser. there is almost nothing to be found on these boats..
                              Daniel DeBenedetti
                              Portland Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C, post: 15232
                                How about, http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Oasis ?
                                Looks like it might be kind of rare.
                                Thanks for the link Dave, I think you are correct. Based on the measurements, she appears to be a 1958 Desert Marine Manufactured in Boise Idaho by Desert Marine Inc.

Based on the dimensions She is either the Angler @ 470 lbs or Day Cruiser model @585 lbs. for comparision the 1959 hardtop model I posted for comparision is the same length, 4 inches broader in the beam and weighs in @ 695 lbs.

In looking at the blue book page at fiberglassics, it appears that Desert Marine added the Oasis Name to their crafts in 1959 just prior to selling to Owens, a Division of Brunswick.
                                I'm going to guess that this would be the Angler as opposed to the day cruiser because I'm assuming a "day Cruiser" would have a small Cuddy.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
                                Daniel DeBenedetti
                                Portland Oregon

Comment

Working...
                                X