Merry Xmas to us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Xmas to us

Christmas day arrived early for us this year. The new owners picked up our 17 Skagit Express on Thursday and we ran down to Tacoma to pick up our next boat. It will be familiar to a few here and because you asked(Tim) I will attach some snap shots. We would also appreciate any and all information from previous owners,we know who you are. It was cold,dark,and raining when we snapped the 1st photo at the Arlington rest area. The second is a photo from the Skagit reunion and the last one is a shot Ronnie sent that shows it's present state.
    Attached Files
    1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Nice. I'm guessing it Kan go with 115 hp Merc on the transom!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I am told it would do a little over 40 mph although I am more interested in dependability. Here are a couple more shots I took yesterday. The plate says Hull Number 8 2S 031.
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!

Merry Christmas indeed!

That hard top will sure be nice to have on the rainy days, and that stove will come in handy for coffee on those calm misty mornings.

Thanks for sharing the photos, it's always fun to see who's brought what home.

Tim

Comment

20 Skagit Offshore

That's one of the 20' Skagits I should have kept, since it's the most original '58 Offshore I've ever seen, with the intact cockpit galley, factory gelcoat, and more.

When we attended the Skagit 50th anniversary party, running that same 115 Merc, we hit 41.7 mph on the GPS in a light chop, with the engine trimmed up until the hull was almost porpoising--getting more air under the hull, in other words. The Offshore cruised regularly in the high 30's, and was very happy in the low to mid-20's in terms of rpms, noise, etc.

As you know, I sold the boat to Richard Young, who in turn passed it along to Ronnie Moss...who you got it from. So at least it's staying in our extended Northwest family.

Great boat--congrats!

- Marty
          Attached Files
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks Marty. You'll be happy to know that no drastic changes are planned other than cleaning, sanding, painting the cockpit area and tidying up the wiring. Also have been ordering new hardware,lights, etc. We will also have camper canvas made for it.

Were you the one who foamed the hull ?

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 15321
              That's one of the 20' Skagits I should have kept, since it's the most original '58 Offshore I've ever seen, with the intact cockpit galley, factory gelcoat, and more.

When we attended the Skagit 50th anniversary party, running that same 115 Merc, we hit 41.7 mph on the GPS in a light chop, with the engine trimmed up until the hull was almost porpoising--getting more air under the hull, in other words. The Offshore cruised regularly in the high 30's, and was very happy in the low to mid-20's in terms of rpms, noise, etc.

As you know, I sold the boat to Richard Young, who in turn passed it along to Ronnie Moss...who you got it from. So at least it's staying in our extended Northwest family.

Great boat--congrats!

- Marty
              I remember running with this boat too. We launched at Mystery bay along with another 58 Skagit Inboard.
              I was the only one that made it all the way around Whidbey and back to Mystery bay under power.
              But, that is also the last time that my 20 offshore was out and running.

Good score Melanie :GoodJob:
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Skagit

I loved the boat and got 40+ on the GPS off the W side of Camano Island. The 115 is a beast....all cylinders up around 140....one trim relay would occasionally hang up although after cleaning it, it seemed to be OK. I foamed it (Fiberlay) there are some pictures of the boat from back when it was new showing canvas sides etc.

Glad to see it is in the family and I hope to get a ride in her.....just ran out of room here to keep her......G3/Dorsett catalina and Penn Yan competing for space!:boater1:

Comment

Working...
                X