Seeking HELP - Windshield & Cabin Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking HELP - Windshield & Cabin Windows

HELP!!!......I am in dire need of a new windshield for my '59 20' Skagit Offshore! I'll GLADLY listen to any and all ideas!

My windshield is cracked in several places now and I just know it'll fall out of there at the most inopportune time (like trailering down the road), (or when I'm on the water in a downpour). I don't much care what the replacement is made of as long as it fits in the original framework. If not then I'll have to remove the framework and make another to fit a series of plexiglass panels...but I've got to replace it one way or another.

Also...my cabin windows are all original and they're so badly crazed you can't see out of them anymore. I need find out how to remove them so I can replace those also. I don't know how the framing comes apart and I'm afraid I'll break something and then not get it back together again.

Worst case scenario is I'll sell the thing as she sits and go buy me one of those fancy shmancy newer B'liner models...but i'd really miss the pretty lines on this old gal ya know?

Ideas please.....Thanks,
    Terry B.
    Terry Baker - Oak Harbor

1959 Skagit 20 Offshore

Using the search function of this forum you'll find the following threads (amongst others) which are most helpful:
    http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...hread.php?t=48
    http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...hread.php?t=49

If your budget permits you might try calling Middy Marine in Redmond at (425) 883-4600 (thanks to TimW for that suggestion!)

Comment

Thank you...

There must be something about the search that I don't understand as I tried that before posting.
      Terry Baker - Oak Harbor

1959 Skagit 20 Offshore

Comment

Replacing Your Windshield

Terry -

We get involved in replacement of windshields and cabin windows when we're fully restoring classic-glass boats for customers, so I can perhaps help you with the process.

Assuming that you cannot find a glass replacements from some other Skagit 20 (a safe assumption!), you'll obviously need to go with a plexiglass replacement. One of the keys to the process is getting your cracked pieces of glass out of the frame without further damage--in other words, hopefully in one piece, so that they can be used to make exact patterns. (Feel free to use duct tape liberally, inside and out, to make sure the glass remains in one piece.) Once you have the glass panels out, bring them to our shop. In about a week we'll be able to cut plexiglass replacement panels and bend them to the shape of the original glass, using an oven we created for the purpose of softening panels of plexiglass.

You will need to reinstall the panels into your frames, since at the moment we do not have room to accommodate your boat--just the original pieces of windshield glass. Also, we do not currently have enough time to remake your cabin windows...just the upper windshield panels. (Sorry, maybe we could do the cabin windows later...when we aren't so jammed.)

Call me if you'd like to discuss details, cost, etc.

- Marty Loken, Island Boatshop, Nordland, WA 98358 - (360) 301-6737 weekdays
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

20 Offshore Skagit, 1959 Skagit Windshield

Hi Terry.
          I myself have a 1959 Skagit 20 offshore and I know of at least two others at this writing.
          What it looks like is Skagit may have used some sort of Stock Automobile pattern and had them modified to fit , maybe width or hight but no one knows for sure.

We were also told that Middy Plastics in Redmond has "Some" patterns for Skagits but I think its who you talk too.

Running with Plex means no windshield wipers as it will scratch it up.

Its just too bad we could not find out what automobile windshield that was really used for each Skagit model as they Can be cut and ground to fit, as I have seen it done in Portland.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Here's a thought, if you could find an old timer at a long established glass shop then perhaps he could identify the windshield in question. As many of you are already aware, Ford and Studebaker have been used, can't believe those are the only ones.

Comment

More Window tips

Terry,
              Make sure and mark each window on inner or outer with which side of hull ,which way up and which way out.Easy to get them flopped or even upside down.
              Skip at Middy can walk you thru removal and is pretty familiar with all types of replacement.

I`d bet the Boat windows used by builder`s were from Auto models not sold as much so the extra stock would be more likely available......then.
              As to whether they re-stocked later as those un-wanted car models didn`t get demand for replacements with no demand for a new one a pretty good reason.
              If you need to make patterns ,make sure and add some (or mark as needed)if using the frame as a guide.We used to have to write "ADD 1/16`` on all sides" so the windows would fit nice and snug in the split-seam rubber we used on the Alum Hulls.
              Fixed windows work great with 3M Ribbon Sealer which will "Seal the Deal".Local auto paint suppliers always have it on hand,scraps work great for bedding cleats and hardware.
              TimM
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim makes a very valid point regarding extra stock...when Studebaker went out of business (moved out of South Bend in '64, closed up altogether in '66) they sold a lot of their steering wheels to various boat builders. Haven't seen one in a boat yet, but looking forward to it. The later wheels had a sort of oblong shape reminiscent of those "square" wheels that Chrysler used.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread just trying to point out that there have been off the shelf automotive bits used on these vintage boats.

Comment

Well I took the old gal to the auto glass shop in town today.

THe guy there has been in the buisness for going on 40 yrs. and says it looks like it may be from a '55 Chevy(?) but whatever it is he thinks that he can find a windshiled (eventually) for me for between $450-650. I'd have to leave the boat with him so he could match it up since he can get a shipment every other day. If it don't fit he'd just send it back and order something else that looks close.

He took my name and number and the name of the glass manufacturer off the glass. He says it may be possible to contact them and see if they have a record as to what windshields thay shipped to Skagit for my size of boat. Never know, we may luck out in that respect...one can only hope.

As for the cabin windows...I think after talking with Marty this morning I'll just leave them alone.

Most likely I'll be selling this boat rather than puting that much money into it. I'm just not into spending all of my time continuing doing repairs and updates...I JUST WANT TO FISH SAFELY!

The cabin resto would be about the only big thing remaining on it though.
                  I know I'll be willing to give someone a fair deal on it when the time comes.

Just wanted to give an update.
                  Terry B.
                  Terry Baker - Oak Harbor

1959 Skagit 20 Offshore

Comment

Plastic between glass layers

I to have a 20' and my window is cracked. I hit a huge roller at about 25mph and stuck the boat stopping it like I hit a wall. The windshield popped out of the top and sides and flopped out onto the cabin. the goop on the bottom kept it from going in the water. It did not come apart because of the plastic inside of the glass. I think it was the original safety glass but caused more damage when people went through it. Check it out. If it is at least you will have more time to find a reasonably priced windshield, John

Comment

Oh it is definately the original safety glass windshield.

I'm still waiting to hear from the local glass master.

Terry
                      Terry Baker - Oak Harbor

1959 Skagit 20 Offshore

Comment

Well, Geeze, I can believe that this topic is still around. I suggested 5 years ago that everyone with a skagit 20, 17, express or offshore or Tyee make paper patterns of the bridge glass and bring them to a meet so as to create documentation of the various glass used. Then contact the vintage glass suppliers advertisering in Hemmings and then we know what glass fits what boat!!

Unfortunately the powers that be are using this web site for advertising purposes....."we can make your glass at the XXXX Boat shop, just send us a pattern" ...even though it was expressly explained that membership be denied if the applicant didn't agree to "NO ADVERTISING ON THIS SITE"!!!

Okay....I recently had a ding in the windshield of my truck and had it repaired in Anacortes. The guy who did the work....another of those who have been in the biz for 25 years gave me a name of a guy that does hot rod glass, for chopped 40 and 50's hot rods. He cuts laminated auto glass any way you want it. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for...!!

Where do I sign up for advertising on this site?

McSkagit

Originally posted by ternkeim, post: 1128
                        HELP!!!......I am in dire need of a new windshield for my '59 20' Skagit Offshore! I'll GLADLY listen to any and all ideas!

My windshield is cracked in several places now and I just know it'll fall out of there at the most inopportune time (like trailering down the road), (or when I'm on the water in a downpour). I don't much care what the replacement is made of as long as it fits in the original framework. If not then I'll have to remove the framework and make another to fit a series of plexiglass panels...but I've got to replace it one way or another.

Also...my cabin windows are all original and they're so badly crazed you can't see out of them anymore. I need find out how to remove them so I can replace those also. I don't know how the framing comes apart and I'm afraid I'll break something and then not get it back together again.

Worst case scenario is I'll sell the thing as she sits and go buy me one of those fancy shmancy newer B'liner models...but i'd really miss the pretty lines on this old gal ya know?

Ideas please.....Thanks,
                        Terry B.
                        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 1247
                          Well, Geeze, I can believe that this topic is still around. I suggested 5 years ago that everyone with a skagit 20, 17, express or offshore or Tyee make paper patterns of the bridge glass and bring them to a meet so as to create documentation of the various glass used. Then contact the vintage glass suppliers advertisering in Hemmings and then we know what glass fits what boat!!

Unfortunately the powers that be are using this web site for advertising purposes....."we can make your glass at the XXXX Boat shop, just send us a pattern" ...even though it was expressly explained that membership be denied if the applicant didn't agree to "NO ADVERTISING ON THIS SITE"!!!

Okay....I recently had a ding in the windshield of my truck and had it repaired in Anacortes. The guy who did the work....another of those who have been in the bis for 25 years gave me a name of a guy that does hot rod glass, for chopped 40 and 50's hot rods. He cuts laminated auto glass any way you want it. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for...!!

Lets keep the Skagit bridge glass a secret for profit! OKAY!

New website....same old BS !!

Where do I sign up for advertising on this site....OR....get my dues refunded!

McSkagit
                          Not sure if you're referring to me because I mentioned Middy....I was just relaying info that someone else had posted. I have no dog in this race, just trying to be helpful. Guess they were right, no good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Terms of use...no special privileges..

No, there is nothing personal here. Just demanding that the terms of use, (membership) be adheared to by all. No special privileges. Skagit Glass.....the topic has been around for 20 years. Why don't we broadcast true information....easily obtainable....and avoid the privateer use of the website.

Send me your pattern and I will make you the real enchilada, laminated auto glass, cut precisiously to fit.
                            Marine Response Team Inc. dba Tim's Marine Friday Harbor, Wa 360-378-9636
                            McSkagit

Originally posted by BB404, post: 1248
                            Not sure if you're referring to me because I mentioned Middy....I was just relaying info that someone else had posted. I have no dog in this race, just trying to be helpful. Guess they were right, no good deed goes unpunished.
                            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Still not clear if you meant me...maybe I'm too dense. As I said, I have no commercial or personal gain as to WHERE anybody takes their business, just passing along information PERIOD.

As for the "true information" that you apparently have, WHAT IS IT? One would think that if this is such a hot topic for you then the easiest way to diffuse this situation is to release said info, or did I miss it?

I'm not trying to argue or am taking sides, all I ever wanted to do was to return (in some small way) the help that's been given to me by others here.

Comment

Working...
                              X