Rosario update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosario update

Not sure why I think there are a lot of members interested in what is happening with Rosario but I'm just a writer at heart and who would read my blogs if I did know how to blog?
    Anyway, the good news is I seem to have the fuel problem fixed with a lot of help from some of you out there. I moved the squeeze bulbs up to the tanks instead of back by the motor. That took good care of one tank but the other didn't squeeze up good and would get enough gas to start the motor and then the fuel pump drew the fuel through and it worked fine. When I docked, and went to get the trailer, the squeeze bulb sucked flat and the motor would start but, as soon as I put it in gear would die. Took the cap off the tank and the bulb would pump up fine. So, I switched the cap from another working tank and that took care of the problem. Seems like the vent must be plugged although that leaves me with the question of why I can run on that tank for a half hour or longer at 3/4 throttle with no problem. Anyway, both tanks now squeeze up fine and motor starts right up as it did when I got it from Chuck C.
    Our docks get pulled tomorrow (if there isn't too much wind) so Becky and I cleaned up Rosario and put her to bed for winter. She now has almost full tanks treated with fuel life extender and I ran motor on each tank for 5 minutes to make sure all the untreated gas is out of lines. Drained lower unit. Not so good. A fair amount of saltwater in there. No visible cracks from when I bounced over the rocks so I'm guessing it is time for new washers (gaskets?) at filler and drain holes.
    Boat washed and waxed and covered for winter with one of those heater/dehumidifiers in the cabin.
    See you in the spring Rosario. Next summer, lots of good trips planned!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Jerry,
    Sorry about having water in your lower unit.....did it drain out with upper screw still in?
    If it did NOT drain until you opened the upper ,then you may be ok.If your lube drained quickly with upper plug still tight,then you have a major leak on either driveshaft seal(easy one under water pump) or the lower shaft seal in front of prop.Finding any fishing line there will usually mean that one is toasted.
    I`d run it a time or two and then drain a little at the bottom plug to see if it whipped up like a milkshake.If clean,leave it be ,but if white or any water remain,drain and refill it once more before long-term storage.........
    Steel parts in the lower will corrode and make lines on bearings and races which heat up and cause major parts failure later.
    Might have a good spare lower unit if the 50hp that came here yesterday is truly a goner.Stay tuned.
    TM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Jerry, You might be at the time for needing a tune up. I don't think you are over your fuel problem at least by the sounds of your writing so i would take it into a shop and have them check it out along with the lower unit and get a tune up as i'am sure you don't want to be sitting on the beach next year. It will not run forever.If you want to take it back to the place in Everett ( yes i know that's a ways from your place BUT i trust them in Everett ) that rebuilt it for me in 2003 get a hold of me. Bless her little soul ! lol Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
      X