Close Call Yesterday Afternoon !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Call Yesterday Afternoon !

Had a close call yesterday. Close as in close to doing some major damage to the boat. Salmon fishing opened yesterday and decided to go out and see if I could snag a fish before the Resurrection Derby starts today in Friday Harbor. Nice day on the water. Fished for a while over by Waldron. The sun came out briefly and it was 60 degrees in the cockpit...well at least for a few minutes.

The wind came up about 2:30 out of the WSW at about 15. Departed Point Disney about 3:15 making 16 knots into a one foot chop. The tides have been extreme so there is a lot of flotsam and jetsam out there. I know where the eddy currents are in most of the channels. The eddies are to be avoided, as that's were the drift collects. I was straining to see ahead in the dimming light, but could rarely pick out debris ahead in the chop. I cut a bit closer to Neck Point on Shaw than I normally would. There is always a big eddy there.

Then I saw it....a LOG...a BIG LOG just about to go under the bow. I chopped the throttles and the bow dropped...a loud clunk. The port chine landed on the end of the log and it came spiraling out from under the hull. It was one of those bleached logs, been on the beach a long time, tapered on both ends and probably 16 inches on diameter and 12 to 14 feet long. I watched it pass in disbelief. Whoa! That was close! Probably the worst I did was scuff a little bottom paint. Could have wiped out the props, shafts...maybe the struts and rudders. I decided to slow down to 12 knots the rest of the way back.

Lucky I only caught the very end of that monster. Also thankful at that moment the Saratogan hull is 3/4" thick, solid fiberglass! No fish, but otherwise a nice day on the water.

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Boy I guess that was close, to Close !!!. Sure glad it did not do any big damage !!

I have been in places were the Skagit 20 hit things that made that very loud bang and loud enough I was looking for water coming on board.
    That is a very scary feeling.
    I didn't have time to even cut power but I was lucky as it missed the outdrive, But, I did turn her and head for the beach.
    This was in the Columbia River that it happened to me so I guess it really doesn't matter where you are.
    Mayfield was a lake that you really had to watch your P's and Q's in as well.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Nothing quite like 3/4 inch of solid fiberglass between you and icy water! I always figure the best boating trips are the ones you stepped from a dry boat onto dry land (or landing) at the end of the trip! Happy for you, Tim and for the Saratogan's sturdy hull!
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I came out or Aget Pass one day after visiting Poulsbo and hit a log going about 30 mph in my 17 ft. Skagit Express. The boat went airbourne and the lock down latch on the engine broke and the engine flipped up over revving the engine before it fell back down. I was standing at the time saving me from getting a mouth full of steering wheel so I was unhurt but mighty shaken up. I thought I might have damaged the haul to the point were I might be taking on water so I slowed down A little and circle a few times close to the beach so I could beach it if I was taking on water. I didn't see any water in the bilge so I decided to continue on to the sling at Edmonds. I didn't want to stop because I was afraid if I did I might start taking on water. I called the sling at Edmonds and said I would be there soon and that it was possible that I might have damage to the bottom of my boat and possibly taking on water and could they be ready with the sling as soon as I got there. When I got there I passed several boats waiting to get out and the sling was down and waiting for me. one of the guys at the sling cought me and possitioned me in the sling. There was some paint scraped of the kiil but no other visible damage. I credit the toughness of Skagits for not ending up beached or worse. Sometimes no matter how careful I am about watching for wood I still hear that dreded clunck occasionally. Makes me pucker.:surprised1:
        Greg James

Comment

Wow, those are scary stories!...
          :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
          (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
          1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

It was a dark and stormy night when at last we set sail for Falmouth...

VeryBigSmile

Comment

Working...
            X