A safety reminder:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A safety reminder:

We all may or may not know proper anchoring techniques but it never hurts to be reminded. Here is the link to the investigations report on the boating tragedy in Florida.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Yep.
    NEVER anchor from the stern ! Many boats have been lost that way.
    So sad they didn't cut the line and leave it. For a hundred dollar anchor, 3 lives were lost.

Comment

Sounds fishy to me

Why would you remove the life vests of people who are unresponsive or have died unless you needed it. The surviver was at the boat and after the first body was released they had life vests for the three remaining. Am I missing something. John

Comment

When hypothermia sets in it causes confusion and bad judgement. People feel they are getting warm and will disrobe.

Comment

I love this site

Thanks Dave. I did not no that. That would explain it. I think I will have to take the boaters class because there is probably a few other things I will learn. Its funny how you spend the first 25 years of your life thinking you know everything and the rest of it finding out you dont. John

Comment

It's all in your viewpoint

Both of my sons say that I have become much smarter during the last 25 years that they have known me. Strangely, that equals roughly half of their lifetimes. Apparently they have grown smarter too.

I am not trying to minimize this unnecessary tragedy, but urging more training and common sense. I used to live on the Gulf, and it is not a benign and forgiving body of water, as is true for most water of any size. Even a pond almost killed me once, when I fell through the ice in Illinois.

Comment

Seen an accident at Lake Stevens today. All turned out okay, no one hurt or drowned. Looked like the guy started his outboard in gear. He stood up, gave the rope a good pull, and away they went. :eek: He lost his balance and went right over the back.

Luckily he had a partner to take control of the boat and go pick him up. Didn't have a life jacket on either. Those life jackets just don't provide much flotation laying in the bottom of the boat.
              Steve Kiesel
              1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Steve, Gee i wish i had know you were up at LS. I was thinking on going out for a little while with the Farallon. Been sick.... but what the heck. You are right about no life jacket. I have to the point where i feel funny if i do not have it on. Kind of like not having a seat belt on. Best, Chuck
                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Beyond Safe.....but then again...

Hey All,
                  When I first bought my SAFE bought I realized my boat had a life jacket and it made sense to always have one on as I would sink if knocked over and not awake.I even wear a Mustang Suit when boating alone in my stand-up center console,might sweat ,but at least I`m always warm and safe.
                  I`ve always made sure everyone had a jacket or floater coat on because of this ,if not just for common sense.
                  One of those who I had taken out actually drowned on the CleElum river last spring while trying to float the river in an Air matress during our brief Hot spell last year.
                  He couldn`t swim and drowned in a few feet of water after striking his neck on a rootball.
                  Not every accident can be stopped by a life jacket but it does make you more aware if you wear it from the start.
                  When I tell people my boat has it`s jacket on , I ask them wear is yours?
                  TimM
                  unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                  15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                  SeaRay 175BR
                  Hi-Laker lapline
                  14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                  X