Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Whitehouse: First Boat, First Day, First Whales!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Whitehouse: First Boat, First Day, First Whales!

Hello All,

We took the plunge! Thanks for all your support on our earlier failed attempt to get the Bell Boy, and for suggesting we look at the 1961 16' Whitehouse. We looked, liked, and made an offer (well below the asking price) w/ a 30 day clause to have the motor checked out for any serious issues. The owner included EVERYTHING (safety kit, fish finder, life jackets, lines, fenders, grease gun for the bearing Buddies, extra battery, extra gas tank, stereo, speakers, etc. etc.) needed to turn the key and go. I also have the original canvas cover and frame, but the canvas will need to be replaced at some point.

We spent yesterday morning figuring out how everything works on the trailer and boat, tested the motor with some over the phone coaching from Norm Boddy, watched some UTube videos on how to tie a bow line knot (did I say total rookies) checked the tides, checked the marine weather report, and set off for the boat launch.

Since we live on Whidbey Island, we chose a spot a couple of miles away from our house, Holmes Harbor in Freeland. The water was fairly calm, but the tide was coming in and the wind was blowing toward shore.

After completeing all the pre launch stuff, we made a couple of attempts backing the trailer down the ramp, and then got it. Launched the boat (a bit tricky with the tide / wind), got it to the dock, parked the trailer, got in the boat and started the motor. Vrooommmm...started fine, put it in reverse ( I thought ) and it coasted right into the dock. BAD ROOKIE!!!! Tried to restart the motor, it was locked up.

Two other boaters came over to help and we inspected the damage. Thankfully all was well except for a nasty little chip out of one of the propeller blades which happened when we hit the cement ramp. They got in the boat and manually started the motor.

I was asked to step down from my duties as captain and the other half took over. The folks on the dock helped us turn around and we were off! It was a wonderful afternoon in Holmes Harbor, everything worked fine, and Dylan (my son) and I had our first whale sighting(s) - 4 in the course of 2.5 hours!

At last it was time to go back in and attempt the loading. It went fairly well for our first time ever, and we went home. Hosed off the boat and trailer, flushed the motor, and then collapsed on the sofa. :

Yipee! We survived the intimidating First Day!

Lauryn
    ps Forgot to mention that somehow the trailer lights are now not working, but that happened right before we launched the boat. The wiring hook up on the boat trailer does not have a cover, could moisture have gotten in there last night? Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Are you sure the lights quit BEFORE launching ?
    Be sure to unplug your trailer lights before launching. Hot bulbs don't like cold water :eek:

If you're newbees to boating I'd suggest taking a safe boating course. It makes boating more fun and safer. Our COLD Puget Sound waters are very unforgiving.

Best wishes, Dave

PS My son and family live in Clinton. Nice area.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Yes, the left light was totally out when we left to go to the boat launch (just a few miles from our house). Everything was working fine when we brought the boat home the night before. After the launch, the other light also stopped working, but there was definitely a problem pre-launch.

Thanks for the suggestion on the boating safety class. I am signed up for the class next weekend.

Lauryn

Comment

Lauryn,

What a very nice little boat you found!!! You are really going to enjoy it! After reading your posting it reminded us of our first time trials, which were very amusing to watch I'm sure. Good luck and we look forward to seeing you at future events like the class this weekend.

p.s. Welcome to the red and white runabout club!

Comment

Fantastic Lauryn. Glad you were able to negotiate a good price and tow it home. That's really a sharp looking Whitehouse, can't wait to see it at one of the outings.

Your first outing went pretty well I'd say. I don't know what it is about boats, but we all manage to continue doing crazy things when we get them near the water. The worst I seen was a guy at the Everett ramp bouncing his brand new boat off the cement. He disconnected the bow strap, backed part way down, hit the brakes. :eek: The boat flew off the trailer, didn't even come close to the water. My granddaughter's comment was "That's not good".

Have a great time with the new (old) boat.
          Steve Kiesel
          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

You made it in and out of the water, you were able to spend time On the water, and the best part, you had a good time and made it home to boot.

Good Job !!!

You will learn some good boating safety skills at the class that will help.

I remember back when I wanted to see the "Proper" way to launch a boat.
            I went to a busy ramp on the Columbia River and about the only thing I learned was what Not to do.
            I would see people launch the boat and then go back and forth, back and forth to the car or truck to get stuff for the boat.
            All this could have been done sitting in line waiting to get to the ramp.

As you have found out, Plenty of people are willing to help
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Lauryn,
              As a newcomer myself the best advice I can give about launching and retrieving is don't let yourself get into a rush, either due to being anxious to get on the water or to the line of people staring at you waiting to launch their boat. Last summer I saw a couple of guys that looked pretty new to the whole operation get in a hurry and drag their boat out of the water without raising the outdrive. Left a big gouge across the parking lot and didn't do the outdrive any good either.

Tim

Comment

Welcome Lauryn, sorry for the late post but I've been away from a computer for a week or so. Very nice runabout, haven't seen one of those before, looks to be in beautiful shape!

I also live on Whidbey, Useless bay near Sunlight beach and hope to see you out there on the water. We salmon fish a lot when the season opens in July.

Sounds like you did well actually with the Holmes harbor ramp, it can be tricky. As you found out it has little incline and the tide is critical for use. Most prefer to angle their boat off to the right and use the edge of the ramp that has a dropoff and deeper water. The run out to Baby island is really nice and the whales like to feed on krill near Fox Spit as you found out. You were really lucky to see them on your first trip out, it took me about a dozen times or so. I prefer the Possession ramp after they put the dock back out (i believe sometime in May if I'm not mistaken). Nice park and facilities with a nice incline for the ramp even though the floating dock is high and dry on low tide.

Take care and good boating!

Best, Kent
                Kent & Diane
                '58 Westerner

Comment

Lauryn, It's nice seeing you guys made it out on the waters. I have a son who lives just outside of Clinton. There is one thing i would get is a "Transom Saver " for supporting the motor when you are going down some of our super nice roads lol ! It's the stick looking thing that is holding up the motor. It does take the pressure off of the transom. They have them at West Marine. Best, Chuck
                  Attached Files
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Congrats on the maiden voyage, I can understand the timid start and butterflies. I get them when I think about putting it in the water...

Still have not gotten mine out yet. I think it will be a few weeks as some house projects need to be complete (including rebuilding my dock) and tinkering with the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 2138
                      Lauryn, It's nice seeing you guys made it out on the waters. I have a son who lives just outside of Clinton. There is one thing i would get is a "Transom Saver " for supporting the motor when you are going down some of our super nice roads lol ! It's the stick looking thing that is holding up the motor. It does take the pressure off of the transom. They have them at West Marine. Best, Chuck
                      Thanks Chuck. I did notice that the Whidbey roads seem a bit hard on the whole towing business but never thought about what that might be doing to the transom. That bar looks like a good preventative measure.

And I was at West Marine in Anacortes today. So many goodies.. drool...so many dollars....cha ching, cha ching.

Comment

Originally posted by westerner, post: 2134
                        Welcome Lauryn, sorry for the late post but I've been away from a computer for a week or so. Very nice runabout, haven't seen one of those before, looks to be in beautiful shape!

I also live on Whidbey, Useless bay near Sunlight beach and hope to see you out there on the water. We salmon fish a lot when the season opens in July.

Sounds like you did well actually with the Holmes harbor ramp, it can be tricky. As you found out it has little incline and the tide is critical for use. Most prefer to angle their boat off to the right and use the edge of the ramp that has a dropoff and deeper water. The run out to Baby island is really nice and the whales like to feed on krill near Fox Spit as you found out. You were really lucky to see them on your first trip out, it took me about a dozen times or so. I prefer the Possession ramp after they put the dock back out (i believe sometime in May if I'm not mistaken). Nice park and facilities with a nice incline for the ramp even though the floating dock is high and dry on low tide.

Take care and good boating!

Best, Kent
                        Kent, nice to meet you (on line)! You live in a lovely place. Thank you for bringing us up to speed on the Holmes Harbor ramp. We thought it was a bit shallow and a bit tricky. Your approach off the edge makes a lot of sense. Guess we were lucky with those whales (3 baby Orcas and a small Grey) we did not see any more during the next two days. Look forward to seeing you out and about.

Comment

Working...
                        X