Time to Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Upgrade

I just returned from a 136 mile round trip to the East arm of the Great Slave Lake. The weather was good heading out a little overcast and a light breeze to keep the bugs at bay. On the way back it was a different story altogether. We packed up camp in the pouring rain (no wind) and headed out onto the lake. We were camped on an island so I just wanted to get across the lake to the mainland. Well about 15 minutes into our trek across the wind decided to pick up and it wasn't long before we encountered 4x4 swells rolling over the bow and threatening to swamp my little 17' Thermolite, but it handled the rough waters like a champ. Being overloaded and underpowered we eventually made it across to a little semi-sheltered bay where we waited for about 5 hours till the wind died down.
    By this time it was already 5:30 in the evening. We all jumped back into my trusty little vessel (3 adults an 1 two year old) and began the long trip back to Fort Resolution. Traveling at a max of 6 knots (7mph) the trip was a long one. The good thing about boating north of 60 is the extended daylight. The sun went down and it was still dusk out. Bright enough to see the driftwood and occasional sand bar that littered the route back. The wind had completely died down and the lake was like a sheet of glass. At around 3am we finally arrived back at our original starting point.
    Along the way I can to the conclusion that it was time to upgrade to a larger and more powerful vessel.
    Now on to the question:
    What would be a recommended make to search for? I would like to upgrade to the 20'-24' range yet stay with the 'classic' styling. I would also prefer a hard top. Any ideas?

I had to lookup Great Slave Lake. I see your in the Northern Territories of Canada. That's one huge lake. I can see how it could turn nasty. Glad you all made it back safely.

I can't recommend any certain make of boat in the 20 to 24 foot length. But you might want to look at Uniflite, seems like I remember seeing one that was a 20 foot. Glaspar made a model called the Mariner, it's a 19 foot boat, but very capable of handle rough seas. I'm sure others will have other ideas. Enjoy the hunt.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Bernard, now you got me looking at boats. Here is a 20ft Uniflite listed in Seattle to give you an idea of what they look like.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/3111410562.html
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Thanks Steve that looks like something I'd be wanting to get. The less work the better since I seem to spend more time on the water then off leaving me very little time to work on it. My current boat is a patch and use with intent to refurbish.

Comment

Working...
        X