Moving Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Day

A couple of years ago, I picked up a 25' Skagit from Marty (who hasn't?) and it has been sitting under some leaky tarps ever since. Over the 4th, I was able to move it into my "boathouse". Which I actually designed and built specifically to fix up this boat. It is a 36' by 36' pole building with 8', 10' and 12' high doors.

The line-up includes (left to right) 1964 Johnson Runabout OB, 1959 Glasscraft Imperial and the 25' Skagit. Hanging from the rafters in the back is the 1950 Axtel that I most recently got from Marty. (I have located the grandson of the builder and he wants to come up and take a look at the boat before I get started working on it.)

Now that the Skagit is in the shop, I can get started cleaning and removing all of the old hardware to see what needs to be done. I'm getting excited!

Karl
    Attached Files
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Great building

I love the look from the front. Now for a vintage stereo system. I bet the accoustics are great. Rock for sanding and soothing jazz for the painting. can't give up my 24 either. John
    Attached Files

Comment

That looks like a glorious man cave.

My shop is still in the permit process, but I should have it done by Thanksgiving. It's not as large as yours, but it will suffice. The old 75 watt Kenwood stereo amplifier is out of storage and ready to install
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Jay Roberts

Hey Karl,

Would that be Jay Roberts, grandson of Howard Roberts, who built the Skagits here in LaConner?

Steve..........nevermind

Comment

Axtell

It is Bob Axtell, his grandfather built the Axtells in Chehalis in the 50's.
          14' Stilleto

Comment

Karl,What a wonderful shop. You did a nice jop. I am envious.
            Greg James

Comment

Karl

I would like to get Bob's contact information in case he would like to take a look at my restored Axtell. If you need any pictures let me know. I believe my hull is built slightly different than Marty's according to Marty.

Picture at Mason Lake is after Thom Adams moved helm to front seat and added a Mercury to replace the Evinrude that came with the boat.
              Attached Files
              Bruce H. Drake
              1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
              1957 Norseman 19' woodie
              1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
              1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Axtell

Bruce,

Bob works on tug boats and he is working for a couple of days. He told me that he was getting a new phone and email address when he gets back on shore. He is going to call me when that happens and we are going to set up a visit then. I will ask him if it is ok to hand out his info then. I don't think it will be a problem, as he is very proud of what his dad and grandfather built. (he told me that he himself was responsible for alot of the sanding as a kid)

He told me that his grandma was the 1st female professional hydro plane racer and that one of their small hydros is in the Hydro Museum in Kent. He said that at one time it's name was Pluto.

Bob is going to try and get some old pictures from his sister. (Sounds like a possible article from Marty!)

Karl
                14' Stilleto

Comment

Working...
                X