Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who can explain wheres and how to of boat recycling.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can explain wheres and how to of boat recycling.

You can "recycle" a hull?

Can somebody give me an idea of how this is done and where you can take a boat to throw it away.

An given that you can "recycle" a boat, what does it cost?

I notice for example that in CA tlhere is a company that will supply custom made windshields for around $600. I have a clear one on my 14, but it has a 6" crack in it. Thinking about running it a bit before I spend any money on it. Saftey gear OK, but...

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

In Washington, you cut it up into pieces small enough to fit in your pickup and haul it to the transfer station. My 14 foot stiletto was under $25.00 to dump, I'm not really sure of the price, because I had other garbage in the truck. A good inexpensive carbide blade on my skill saw was all I needed to chop it up.

By the way, I looked at your profile and it says you worked for Capitol Equipment. I worked in the shop from the late 60's to the early 70's, before I moved over to Clough Equipment on Front street. Boy do I miss Kettel's Corner!
    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

You don't even have to cut it up into small pieces to dump it at the transfer station. You can recycle the whole hull, I think up to 20'. I bought a parts boat about a year ago for my 18' Glasspar Seafair, cut all the hardware off of it, hauled it to the dump, pushed it in, and watched an armored bulldozer drive over it! I'll try to post the video tomorrow. I even recycled the road hazzard piece of crap trailer at the same time. Super cheap. You need to take the titles, so they can mark on them disposed of at the dump. Two phone calls are all you need, one to the transfer station for the details on disposing of the hull and what they mark on the titles, and one call to your local auto licensing office to tell you what you do with the titles to tell the state the vessell and trailer no longer exist and you don't need to keep paying for tabs...
      :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
      (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
      1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 23155
        By the way, I looked at your profile and it says you worked for Capitol Equipment. I worked in the shop from the late 60's to the early 70's, before I moved over to Clough Equipment on Front street. Boy do I miss Kettel's Corner!
        I had my own company that was a representative for various machine tool companies. We call it capital equipment because it generally represents a considerable investment in capital to purchase.

Before that I worked for SKAGIT CORPORATION in Sedro Woolley.

Thanks for the interest.
        Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
        16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
        17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Sean and Sammamish!

Ugh. Just the thought of cutting up an old classic hull or watching it get bull dozed over just gives me the sad shivers! Now, if it was a bayliner, I wouldn't care and would probably ask if I could drive the dozer...CutUp1
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
          X