• Show
Clear All

• Dr frankenmerc

can anybody tell me how thom is doing? thanks

outlaw
    John & Colleen Weston
    Carlyon Beach, Olympia,WA
    lookin for the right boat

wow, I can't beleave nobody knows the DR. and if he is still working or what. well guess I will have to take a run and see for myself. I won't tell anyone, it will be a secret.

Outlaw :BigWink1:
    John & Colleen Weston

Comment

Thom

Thom is still working on Mercs but hides any rudes out of sight.
      Bruce H. Drake
      1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
      1957 Norseman 19' woodie
      1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
      1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

The last time I heard from him in the forum he was facing the same back surgery I had several years ago. If he has had his surgery, he will be out of touch for a while. The recovery is slow.
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

thanks guys. I still need to go up to shelton, it's only 10 miles from where I live and see if he is around. I need some info from him.

Outlaw
          John & Colleen Weston

Comment

I will contact him and report back...
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

thanks Helmar

Outlaw
              John & Colleen Weston

Comment

Thanks all for the words of concern.
                Helmar notified me of all the posts.
                I'm still having some difficulty getting around. I can walk okay for a few hours early in the day, but as the day progresses I eventually get to where I need my walker and really start counting each step.
                I was fortunate enough to have my referral to the Spinal Neurosurgeons of the U of W @ Harborview responded to, and after meeting with the surgeon, Dr Zhang, I felt comfortable in proceeding with a second spinal surgery.
                The first was to remove bone spurs in my Lumbar region, but probably due to my degenerative bones (scoliosis), the spurs began to return within a few months, and the extreme nerve pain and related numbness in my legs returned with a vengeance. Physical Therapy just made things worse. Acupuncture was a failure.
                The 'TENS' unit just wore me out, and the pain walked right through all the little zap-ity-zaps.
                So-o-o-o,...Thinking Dr. Zhang's solution was the most logical to attempt, I asked to be scheduled for surgery.
                His plan was to level out my hips (one is higher than the other), and then fuse the bottom (3) lumbar vertebra to create a level 'stump' for the rest of my spinal column to seek a balance on, consequently straightening things out somewhat.
                He felt I had a 95% chance of a better quality of life with less pain, which would mean less narcotics.
                I asked for pre-approval from my insurance carrier, Regence, and they declined authorization.
                Harborview assured me this was typical and that they would handle the Appeal, saying that although I wouldn't have surgery in August, I would be able to have it before the end of the year.
                Regence denied the Appeal.
                This leaves the second and final Appeal as my responsibility, and I have 180 days to present it.
                I have concluded that the most likely way for my Appeal to have positive results I will need to contact the Insurance Commissioner's Office, and get someone assigned to assist me.
                So here I stand, pondering what to do. I rarely hear that back surgery is successful, that fusion simply moves the problem further up the spinal column when my tired old bones aren't very healthy already, and the concern being will I be better or worse in the end???
                I use opiates now to control the pain, but even those don't help much.
                The Pain Clinic doubled my dose today and I am really worried about even 'controlled use' of narcotics. It rarely has a pleasant outcome.
                I don't post much of anywhere any more because I am very uncomfortable sitting or standing as the mornings turn to afternoon.
                Some days, primarily in the morning, I actually look like I must be faking to be whining like I do, but sadly it is real pain & the related depression.
                I want to end with this upbeat fact:
                I truly count my blessings every day, as I see other folks struggling with so much greater burdens of pain or limited mobility.
                All the very best to you all & thank you very much for your kind thoughts and words.
                Thom Doc Frankenmerc "Keepin' Mercs Alive since 1965"
                Doc Frankenmerc
                Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

Thanks for your posting Thom.
                  Really sorry to here all the issues. It saddens me that we have to have a attorney just to talk to the damn insurance companies. Its just plain nuts.Screwy1

I have never been fond of insurance companies to start with
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thom,
                    Your story is very familiar to me, although I did not have the insurance problems. I too was at the UofW (best in town in my opinion), once I started Physical therapy and strengthened my core it got a lot easier to get around.

That being said, If I have too big of a day and do too much, the next day is opiates and rest.

When I look at my x rays and see all the Lag screws and metal plates I shudder, but I don't feel them at all. There is certainly a lack of mobility especialy twisting an bending, but I don't have any leg pain or numbness anymore, and I especially like not finding myself in a heap on the ground because my damn leg collapsed.

Better days are coming my friend.
                    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Medical Challenges

Thom -

Very sorry to hear you've had more physical challenges--and now also insurance-company rejections that make it even harder to deal with. Sure hope you find a way to get some kind of relief...and soon.

Hang in there, buddy.

- Marty
                      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

thanks Thom for letting us know. my prayers go out too you.

Outlaw
                        John & Colleen Weston

Comment

Dam sorry to hear about all the pain. I have had enough of it my self. I had to have more surgery on the stump of my leg again to round off the bone to stop the pain there. The real crazy part is my fantom foot I know its not there my eys can see its not there but the dam thing starts the day out like your foots asleep and waking up with the pins and needels and not bad but by eveing it so bad I have to take a pain pill. Now thats the part that don't make sense I"m taking pain pill for a foot thats not there it just don't compute.
                          Doc I tried to call the other day but no answer.
                          PS
                          I got the computerized knee on my leg now and it hell learning to walk all over again. But for $25000 I will walk on this thing.
                          Mike aka the pirate:
                          Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Thom, I am really sorry to hear of all your proplems. Hopefully they will straighten these damn insurance companies out. Keep harrasssing them as much as you can, they might be required to take your case soon. There is a big problem in not wining about all your pain and phisical limitations. If you are to stoughic about everything that you are going through, nobody will know. Everybody needs to know so complain away. My thoughts are with you.
                            Greg James

Comment

Ugh. Sorry to hear of all this, Tom. I truely hope that you can get the insurace aspect of this sorted out.

Best,

John
                              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                              Past Affairs:
                              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                              X