No announcement yet.

The Economy & You: What's Happening?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for starting this thread. There are a lot of "hard time" stories out there right now and it is interesting to hear how we are all riding out the storm.

The "brewing" storm started hitting our business (Carmel, CA Art Gallery & Painting Workshops) pretty hard in the final quarter of 2007. As you can imagine, purchasing original art is not high on the list of most peoples priorities these days...

2008 was a full blown nightmare that resulted in lots of sacrifice for us: a major restructuring and loss of part of our business and the realization that major lifestyle changes were needed. Implementing the changes was painful, and I will always remember 2008 as the year of great loss and great change, on so many levels.

However, as individuals, and as a family, we have emerged smarter and stronger. Our lives are much more simple, but also much more full. The decision to buy a small classic boat now, when a lot of people are selling or at least sitting tight, was a pretty big deal for us. A sign that we are beginning to climb up and out. A choice to look forward and celebrate the beginning of the end of hard times.

The thought of eventually owning more classic boats down the road is very appealing, but also challenges the concept of simplifying and paring down.

If we were to do it, yes, it would have to be a nearly free boat that would have to be very patient about it's eventual big makeover . In the meantime, we are very happy to enjoy the one and only, the celebration vessel

Comment

I was working in the trucking industry and laid off in November. Living off from Unemployment for now and some savings.

Heidi was laid off 2-weeks ago from BofA, she had worked for them for 15 years. They shut down her department, many people there had 15-25 years in.

I really don't expect things to free up until Q2, 2010.At leat that is what I am bracing for. Of course we have over 12% unemployment here in Oregon and trend is projected to continue.

It is a struggle just to justify the monthly moorage fee. But right now my boat is my refuge. It is nice to get on the water, even if at the dock, after feeling so down about current situation.
      Robert Augur

Comment

Originally posted by wild blue yonder, post: 2315
        The decision to buy a small classic boat now, when a lot of people are selling or at least sitting tight, was a pretty big deal for us. A sign that we are beginning to climb up and out. A choice to look forward and celebrate the beginning of the end of hard times.
        xx@@!!@%%%! :eek: So much for that dream. Chris came home from work yesterday with a very dismayed look on his face and a pink slip in his hand. His employer brought in a consultant to "analyze" the company's financial situation which resulted in several immediate layoffs.

Argggg. So we are buckling our seatbelts and preparing for round two.

Oh wait...positive thoughts....when one door closes another one opens...and of course (why didn't I think of this earlier) the silver lining....more time to get out on the water.

Comment

Don't have enough time.

Marty,
          Two years ago I bought my first classic boat an Endura craft. It cost over four thousand dollars to repair and two years working under a backyard spruce tree.
          Luckily my wife and I have steady, stable jobs. It sad to hear all the hard times people are experiencing. I wish it wasn't so.

I now maintain two boats, one house, family relationships, help raise two grandchildren, help care for an elderly mother and continue to work. I'm running out of time and energy for another project boat. In the future I would like to get a larger motor and in 3 to 4 years a more seaworthy classic boat or something that has a lot of flair and personality.

The ideal way for us to move up to something different is to recruit new non boat owning members. We would then sell them one of our great reconditioned boats, this would allow us to afford and or create more space for another wonderful floater. The catch is the new members need some cash for a boat.

It kind of works like this, try dropping an empty snail shell into a tide pool with hermit crabs. One hermit crab will quickly move out of his old shell and into the new larger one, then that shell stays empty for a short period of time. A different hermit crab will move from his old shell to the newly vacated one. This continues on and on until……….not sure, ran out of time the tide was coming in.
          Lowell
          1956 Enduracraft Monterey
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Marty,
            As for me, I am more concerned about the projects i already have and other interests, rather than the economy. Salmon fishing interspersed with farmwork is the immediate plan. In that order I might add.

My dream is another classic in the 18-20' foot range for more serious sound travel in the foreseable future. It pains me to see some of these classified ads of yours go unanswered (especially the one about the 18'BB) but the time just isn't quite right for me at this point. Just too much on my retired plate. Classic boat restoration must take a back seat at this time unfortunately, however we do plan on attending as many sceduled NWCBC meets as possible.

It's obvious the economy has effected all of us, but I believe better times are ahead.
            Kent & Diane
            '58 Westerner

Comment

I would have responded earlier to this post, but I was waiting for the power company to turn my power back on. Just kidding, but being self employed in the construction field (architect) it has been a scramble since the third quarter of last year. I think in my case, the larger issue is storage of all the treasures. Once I have found the newest sparkle of my eye, I really like to keep them under cover and secure. Like others here have pointed out, paying $150 plus a month to store a free boat does not make the war department (aka accountant, first mate, wife) all that happy. We do not have a large enough chunk of land to allow a row of Costco shelters without offending the above mentioned war department. So until my Dad retires and builds his boat barn in Kittitas, my search for new treasures has slowed. Anyway, back to Craigslist and NWCBC Classifieds to see if there is anything I can't live without before the check bounces and the power goes off again.
              BRIAN FRANCHINI
              LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

My Thoughts.....

Marty and all,
                I`ve been in the Marine industry since the late 80`s and watched the decline of local Boating from both an insider and participant`s point of view.
                Hearing boaters talking of quitting the activity and such first got me motivated into joining the industry but also keeping costs down and knowing where to get stuff at wholesale has made sense over the years.

Now the prices of all materials needed and even just the power to do some of the work has made it really tough to do anything cost effective.
                I`ve been lucky enough to keep finding cash buyers so my next project has been getting funded from my previous project hulls I keep around so leftover materials are never, ever, wasted.
                I think the recycling of old boats may in fact gain strength as people have more free time and more free boats surface.
                I do hope the local suppliers I use (instead of pointing and clicking them to oblivion because somebody will undersell our REAL people) do survive and remain as resources we all need.
                Engines and parts prices have risen beyond sense so when gas rises ,it will really mess with people`s ability to go boating.
                Space is keeping me from calling Marty,I almost dialed twice but two smaller hulls need to be done before I drag a Skagit home for our fleet.
                I still have the bug,and hope to keep spreading it too!
                Bye the way,my fishing Club,The Seattle Poggies, once saw 80-100 people attending monthly meetings and now they are lucky to see 20.......At least parking is easier at the local ramps.
                I suggest we all find our niche and make the most of whatever it is.
                Maybe we should start a Non-Profit Boat Recycling Industry with a Gates Grant........
                Tim M
                unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                X