I have just acquired my second boat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have just acquired my second boat.

Well it didn't last long. I was down to one boat for a mere one week, now I have two. However, I am satisfied with what I have. My 16T powercat of course, but the new acquisition is a 1965 20' Bertram "Moppie".

I know some in the club have owned tone of these before. I've always liked them and think they have some of the prettiest lines of any boat design out there. Probably has one of the most agressive hulls out there (designed by Ray Hunt).

This one is the run-about version, and she has one of the biggest cockpits I've seen (66 square feet). She won't be particularly fast with her 165 Mercruiser, but should be able to hang with the rest of you guys in great conditions.

As the water conditions deteriorate she should begin to show her stuff. I understand chop is not a problem for this old girl, and she is right at home in big water.

The Bertram 20 has a true deep-vee from stem to stern. She has quirky tracking at slow speeds, but straightens right out at speed. I plan to turn her into a salmon chasing machine. I say chasing because I have yet to catch one. maybe this will be my lucky year?
    Attached Files

Congratulations! That is one clean looking boat. Is it a repower, or just a really clean engine?
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Nice Moppie...

Doug -

Beautifully clean Bertram 20...especially that showroom-fresh-looking engine.

For reference, I got 38 mph with mine, running a 351 Ford and gnarly, chewed-up prop, so you should get good speeds with yours...maybe 30+. (Your boat is lighter, too, since mine had the very heavily-built hardtop.)

I don't know how many times I've said this, but "that's one I should have kept." (Duh...)

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

believe it or not...

That engine has been in the boat for three years. It's actually a 2nd hand engine out of a Bayliner believe it or not.

It was so clean, and ran so well that the gentleman I bought it from installed it and the matching outdrive as is. So clean you could eat off it. See what is possible with garage kept boats that are well maintained?

This was actually an ebay boat (that's where I saw it) that didn't make the reserve. After the auction I contacted the owner and got in line for 2nd chance offers (I was number three).

See... cash really does talk (plus a whole lot of luck)!

Doug G.

Comment

Bertram Nice find!

Nice looking Bertram. Great hulls! Clean engine! Good find! Sort of the opposite of a Skagit in terms of ride. Would be interested to know what it is like at rest. My dad's 23 Chris deep 'V' is a good sea boat for it's size, but is very active when sitting in a beam chop.
          McSkagit
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Hey Doug'

That's why they call it fishin' not catchin'.
            JD
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Working...
            X