Saratogan Back in the water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saratogan Back in the water

Hauled the Saratogan the middle of April and out for nine days.

Last November I was out on a fishing trip and hit a log, a big log at 17 knots. Just suddenly there, right in front of the boat, hiding in the 1.5 foot chop. There was a thud as it hit the bow, a loud bang as it came up about midships. I yanked the throttles off before it hit the props, another bang.

I still had propulsion, so I circled around and had a closer look. 25 feet long and two feet in diameter. Noted a slight vibration underway, port engine I thought. Considered pulling the boat out right then, but decided to wait for my Spring haul out.

Well, the port prop looked okay at first glance, but pulling it off, noticed one of the blades had been displaced. Moved the whole blade over about a half inch. Still closer inspection revealed the strut was bent outboard about an inch. The shaft turned hard and the cutlass bearing was compressed and binding. I went in and unbolted the coupling. I was bummed!

I have a personal relationship with those struts. Had them custom cast by Port Townsend Foundry. Machined them myself. Took a year and a small fortune. I don't have a spare.

I talked to Mike, the owner of Jensen's Shipyard about it and he said he sees a lot of bent struts. He has developed a way to straighten them. I said I'd sleep on that idea and let him know the next day.

Next day I said "have at it, Mike". That afternoon he and a helper came over to the boat with a big pipe wrench, a four foot cheater bar and a big ball peen hammer. His helper grabbed the bottom of the strut with the pipe wrench and cheater and hauled up on it in the direction it was supposed to go. Mike hit the strut at the bend point with the ball peen. About eight hits and the strut was within a quarter inch of where it originally was. I was impressed.

Next day I realigned the engine to the shaft. The shaft turns easy and smooth. Luckily the shaft didn't get bent. That one is Aquamet 22, the strongest shafting made.

Painted the black trim at the sheer line and cleaned and polished the hull paint. few other odds and ends, zincs and such. Oh, I had ordered a new set of props back in December since I didn't have any spares. I went up an inch of pitch to 22 inches. They were also custom cast by Michigan. Arrived in late February. SPENDY!

Launched April 24th. Second day in the water went down to Jones Island, a five mile run. New props very smooth! Damn, if I didn't hit another log! This one missed the props, thank God!

May fifth, entered the San Juan Island Yacht Club opening day parade. Lots of compliments on the boat and won a prize for third best Classic. Took the folks I had aboard for a short spin around Brown Island. Damn, if I didn't hit another log. This one also missed the props.

So now I'm afraid to put the boat up on plane!

Next new acquisition, NEW GLASSES!

Hope to make the San Juans Rendezvous end of this month.
    Hope to see you there.....

Tim aka McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Wholly Crap Tim....
    I can tell you I know Nothing about the currents up your way or the matter of fact, currents Anywhere but I would sure hope that who ever lost those logs or wherever they came from, the currents carry them the hell away !!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Tim:

That boat of yours is a treasure! I'm so happy it wasn't seriously damaged.

When I had a boat with the pointy end, my dad always worried that I would hit a log at speed. Luckily I never did. One thing I found by accident was that by wearing ski goggles, which was necessary with a 40 knot cruise, I found that the various lenses available for it included an orange one. Those things made drift, especially wood show up very well.

The other thing always did was to enter a tide line at low speed. Those things in the Puget Sound are a trap for fast boats.

But hitting the random log, at speed was my worst nightmare. Luckily, with that boat an inattentive watch was something you didn't have time for. I always hoped that with twin 454 Bravo stern drives and with with some luck the boat would go up over the log and the drives would come up and not get damaged. One could always hope!

But, the days are running from the ship canal to Deer Harbor at speed were gone forever after the fuel hit 2+ dollars per gallon.

So I am back to my roots, with a medium to small single outboard.
      Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
      16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
      17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Flag A Snag

Back in the 50's and 60's there was the Flag-a-Snag program. Metal rods, three or four feet long with a flag on one end and pointed on the other. You'd carry a few of these and drive one into a log if you happened to spot one.

Can't remember who sponsored Flag-A-Snag? Like to see that program return.
        There are certain areas I try to avoid due to eddy currents and large quantities of flotsam. Also careful during the big Spring tides.

I've probably hit five logs, now...an all time record for me. Only one did any damage. For that I thank the Saratogan's 20 inch deep keel.

I was only a mile or so out of Friday Harbor when I hit the bad one. Can't remember if it was a following sea or right on the nose? Probably 1.5 to 2 foot chop, just enough to hide that big one.

I've hit a few logs over the years with my Volvo I/O's, but never any big damage except a bent wheel.

I'll check out the orange ski glasses. Thanks for the tip...

Tim

Comment

Tim,

If you're looking at replacing your spectacles, I have a suggestion.

The new polarized, light sensitive lenses are spectacular. I just got a new pair in what they call brown, but they are more yellow at lower light and darken as necessary, getting dark brown in full sun.

Every thing is brighter and more defined with these lenses, check them out.

Of course the new prescription didn't hurt either.
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

New Glasses

Thanks for the tip on the light sensitive glasses. The prescription glasses I've got are polarized, but about 12 years old. Since they don't fit quite right, I tend not to wear them, although my CG license specifies that I do. I also have a newer pair from Costco that aren't worth a damn.

Part of the problem is the forward visibility from the Saratogan's helm station.
            The Saratogan not only has beautiful lines, but beautiful proportions too. Those perfect proportions are also problematic, as the bridge windshield isn't very high.

You are looking over 12 feet of cabin top from a low vantage point and also through curved (slightly distorted) auto glass. The bow is up a bit. All you get is a sliver of the water ahead of you. You have to be watching like a hawk....ALL THE TIME. Takes real concentration once on plane.

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X