Outboard vs Inboard/outboard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard vs Inboard/outboard?

Please give me your experience and opinions regarding the power options for classics. I purchased my first boat last year with competence in 2 stroke engines and much more experience with performance (4-stroke) automobile engines. While there is nothing cooler looking and sounding than a vintage outboard that starts easily, motates like crazy, idles for trolling and gets you back to the dock for a salmon bake...it doesn't always play that way.

My solution at present is retrofitting jetski engines into two of my 15' & 12' boats, like FINS did in his Playmaster. The 90hp Polaris supplies plenty of juice for the Glastron Fireflite, makes for a clean transom and parts are plentiful...but probably not the best solution for a larger vessel.

Since Marty, and others have tempted all of us recently by releasing some of his private stock onto the market at very good prices!...I have been considering how an i/o conversion project could fit into my project file.

Am I dreaming that an inboard is more efficient? less polluting? easier to maintain than an outboard? Cost is always a concern also. It would be great to hear from all of you...

Hi Greg,

From a pollution stand point I/B,s and 4strokes are clean green and as the greenies gain more public power I think we will see more and more lakes off limits to 2stroke as they have done to Lake Whatcom. Should we hang onto the McChesney I will consider a conversion to an inboard set up which was Marty's intention. I have never in my life worked on a 2stroke engine and boy is that a learning experience. So from a maintinence and trouble shooting aspect I like the thought of a marinized auto engine. Also from a $$$$$$ point of view I can pick up a used I/B boat to scarf all the components need for far less than I can pick up a used 4stroke outboard. A good used 4stroke would cost me more than ANY car I have ever purchased so it's hard to justify the cash outlay.YMMV Oh and I almost forgot fuel economy is a factor as well.

Melanie
    1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

re: outboard vs. I/O

It has been my experience that outboard is the better way to go. I have had two identical GlasPly 17 foot boats, one outboard and the other I/O. The outboard I bought new in 1977 and put a new 3 cylinder 70hp. johnson on it. The boat performed flawlessly and never once let me down (except when I picked up a discarded herring bag over the water inlet). The economy was pretty good too. I sold the outboard boat when daughter was born. Years later, wife says you never should have sold the boat, let's find another one. I found another one with a Volvo in it. While it ran well and was fairly fuel efficient, it would not hold a steady course at slow speeds. It was also so heavy in the stern that it would not stay on a clean plane at the speeds that we like to cruise at. I put Bennett trim tabs on in an effort to fix the planing problem but they didn't really help that problem all that much. I finally, out of frustration, sold the thing to a friend who loves it. I guess it just boils down to what you expect the boat to do and your particular style of operating. Sorry for the long post, just had to get my 10 cents worth in. Good luck, Larry
      Larry Ellingson

Comment

Power Options

I will give you my honest opinion on it.
        Due to Never having the kind of money it takes to Step up to the Plate and purchase a New Outboard of Any kind, I have chosen to stay with the I/O or Bearcat engines.
        I have owned two many outboards that were pretty much, Used Up.
        The idea of spending Big money for some basterized electronic ignition system is just plain Nuts.
        Outboards, If I can't power the boat with a bearcat, forget it.

Next step is a Donor boat with a later model Iron Duke 4 banger engine (chev for the most part).

Also the OMC Outdrive is also my choice. Mercruiser is ok as well.
        Reason for this is those things are Everywhere in most late model boats.

Most 4 bangers are 120hp and if kept under 3000rpm do now do bad on fuel consumption, like the bearcats.

I also have several boats that are in my stables that I will end up finding a Donor boat for fresher power.
        One is a 17 Skagit express that has already been converted at one time to a OMC outdrive.
        The other one might be one of my keepers which is the 17 ft 68 Glasspar Seafair Sedan.

This is just MY opinion, I could be wrong (Dennis Miller quote ;-) due to bad luck with used Up outboards that I have purchased.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Much appreciated...

Thank you for taking the time to respond with your comments regarding outboard vs I/O power. Between "clean water" efforts (of which I agree and struggle with every time I start my polluterude) and hard to fathom modern outboard costs, I still believe the inboard conversion should be contemplated for the many derelict-classicly lined cuddy boats that haven't seen water time in eons.

As mentioned in this thread, suitable low hour stern drives in dime-a-dozen donors, could be a good solution for reliable low $$$ power, that a car mechanic can work on. Since your next project's transom/floor is probably akin to oatmeal, and the short shaft transom is too low for all but the most sincere purist amongst us (fightin' words?), you will be knee deep in work anyway. Cut and paste, VOILLA!

Anything to keep these great designs in the drink is good by me, keep up the great work!

Greg

Comment

I prefer outboards (old simple ones!)

I've had both I/O and outboards. Nowadays I prefer outboards. I/O's are a pain in my back to work on. I just don't like squishing myself down beside an engine to work on it, plus everytime you fetch a tool, it's climb out/climb in time. Outboards you can stand upright and work on, or take it in the garage on a stand and there it is. It is also alot easier to swap motors, or try different engines. Also easier for setting prop heights. For me it is just an easier package to deal with. I realize the 2 strokes are not very green but the power to weight ratio and simplicity is a great plus. JMO.
            Attached Files
            Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Working...
            X