No announcement yet.

Blake Island...1 More Time ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to run between Anacortes and Deer Harbor on Orcas Island in a 14 footer with a deep vee and a 115 Johnson. That run at 30 kn would use about 9 gallons of mix which in those days you could buy at the pump at Cap Santa. We also had it on the pump at Deer Harbor.

I tended to make that run between about 6 PM and dark. It took an hour and a half. Generally after about 6 PM the water was absolutely flat. I think if you leave early in the morning you will see the same conditions and the run at speed should not take long.

Where is the place that they will put in. Maybe I will try to be at the same place. In the old days the smart money always suggested two boats for any long trip. When I took my dads boat up north he enlisted than a friend of his with a 36 Uniflite to accompany me on the trip. After waiting for the flag in in Nanimo to hang straight down, we ran across the Strait in water that was made for a 40 foot Bertram. That boat was twin diesel with a 14 foot beam and 22° dead rise. Running 20 knots in a 6 foot sea was sending buckets of water over a 14 foot high bridge. We made Welcome Cove with huge smiles all round. Once inside, the cruise up to Princess Louisa the next morning was a gift. (In those days, being a 76 dealer at deer Harbor I could buy diesel for two bits a gallon. That boat had, if I recall correctly, 400 fuel. It cost 100 bucks to fill it up. I refueled only once in the six days at a government dock in in Nanaimo on the way back.)

Okay so much for war stories, my point is in retrospect those guys should be okay if they pick their water and leave when the flag is hanging straight down. Also this time of year there is enough daylight to make a trip back when the seas are once again calm.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

We took our boat to Blake Island and back from West Seattle today.

No problems.

Bruce
      1962 Elgin 14 foot Runabout

Comment

Perfect Storms ?

See Fathers Day
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck, I passed you yesterday as you were heading up Pacific avenue in Everett. Boat looked great Hope you made it back before the thunder, lightning and d
          own pour came through yesterday evening.

Dave
          Dave Wickline
          1967 Jeepster Convertible
          1957 Bell Boy 16' Convertible

Comment

I think it is safe to say that weather dictactes any boating for the folks here. For the little boats, getting to Blake can be a challenge if the weather is less than optimal. In those instances, you just don't go, or, if you get caught out, you just turn around. We've made the trip countless times in the Marathon. We've had to turn back once or twice due to fog or bad chop. No big deal.

Another thing to consider for smaller boats, or boats with low transoms is tying off. Lots of big boats move through there and they can throw big wakes. I watched a fiberform get swamped last year due to this. She would have sunk if she wasn't ashore... That and tidal movement. SO. keep an eye on the tide tables, anchor out appropriately and you'll have a good time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there on Sunday. Next year we should be showing up in the 404....

Oh, and if anyone is coming from the Kingston/Poulsbo/Brownsville area, we'd love to hook up. We'll be heading out from Poulsbo. It is about a 35-40 minute ride from there depending on the water conditions.
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Dave, We got home and had the boat wash just before we heard a little thunder off in the distance. No rain to speak of. Being it was kind of rough , we decides to go up the Snohomish river to the town of Snohomish. On the way back we stop off to see some boats tie up along the river banks . Chuck
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice to see you finally found some smooth water for Shelia. Maybe you should call her Stormy. Clint

Comment

Is anyone planning on camping overnight on Blake Island this year?

Bruce

Comment

Bruce, Have not heard of anyone camping. Chuck

Comment

Just an FYI to anyone going to Blake on Sunday. The year's lowest tide is at 11:20 at Blake, -3.40. If you have a shallow ramp, make sure to launch early! Also, bring enough tackle to float your your boat in 20 feet of water and enough main anchor line to be able to run it up the long beach. I would imagine that most of us will have to reset our lines at least once as the tide comes up.
                      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                      Past Affairs:
                      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

If the weather report is to be believed, Saturday could be more sunny and Sunday could have rain.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...A#.UcOIZ9gUDSg

Just wondering if it might be possible or if there is any interest in going on Saturday?

Bruce

Comment

Bruce, I was "kind of thinking " of that too.Will get back Chuck

Comment

Well, we sure have had Crap for weather.
                            Come On Summer !!!

I haven't even fired my engine yet this year.
                            I know it about time but with dodging rain storms down here in Portland area I just haven't felt like fooling with it yet..
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

It's a "Go" for Sunday !

Bruce, Sunday is going to be partly sunny and 77. King 5 said there might be some rain late in the day , so it's a "GO" for Sunday.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X