Skagit not perfect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit not perfect

I am a Skagit boats since I believe they were one of the stoutest old fiberglass boats. Also I am a fan because I grew up about 5 miles from the Skagit factory and even went to school with Howard's son.
    Now to the flaw I have found in my 1958 Skagit 20. Have found that the wood in the transom on the starboard side is not connected to the outer shell of the boat. The plywood is 1 or more inches from the side of the boat and about a 1/2 inch from the fiberglass transom shell. I am not sure how far the gap is to the center of the boat. The port side is bonded to the outer hull and transom and is in good shape.
    My question to any of you that has replaced the transom on their Skagit 20 if this is the normal or did I get one that had a shoddy worker for the day. Hope Helmar, Marty and others can answer my questions. Ckint

Hi Clint.
    I have cut a few out and all different it seems.
    Most did not go clear off to the edges of the hull either.

Most of the ones I have gotten my hands on were pretty rotten so I can't say if it was attached or not.

I have been in a Bell Boy where the fiberglass was not attached to the transom. Around the size of a basket ball.

Same with the stringers, seemed like they kept changing designs in the rear were they would stop them before the transom..
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

On my 404 the wood went all the way to the sides of the hull. Same on the Glasspar. however, when I rebuilt the transom on the 404, I got it reasonably close and then filled the gap with thickened resin. Then heavy glass on the corners to tie it in. Works great.
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
      X